The Official Sony NW-WM1Z/ NW-WM1A Flagship DAP (Live From IFA 2016)
Sep 2, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #46 of 1,101
Doesn't matter what a manufacturer decide to put on their products. The technical and engineering standpoint from a 4.4mm balanced plug is superior to those 3.5mm/2.5mm TRRS

oh sure, i agree 100% about that.
i'm just pointing out the fact that those new Onkyo/Pioneer DAPs are NOT migrating to 4.4mm.

Sep 2, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #47 of 1,101
  Any comparison with the AK380Cu yet?

Hey Louie, if anyone you should be the one that compare for us.  Just take your 380cu and go the Jaben and have a blast and report back.

Sep 2, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #48 of 1,101
Hey Jude,
Can you please make a video of the Walkman, so we can see the UI,menus etc?
Thank you kind.

Here's a start--a short video showing the three playback screens available in the pre-production UI / software currently in the Sony Walkman NW-WM1Z:
 ​

​
Things to note:
  1. The audio is (as shown) being recorded from the headphones using a Shure MOTIV MV88 microphone on my iPhone.
  2. I eq'd the music in the Sony NW-WM1Z to boost bass and cut treble, to help it sound a little better using our less-than-ideal music recording method. I note this because the spectrum analyzer reflects the adjustments made in the equalizer.
  3. IMPORTANT: This version of the Sony NW-WM1Z software and user interface is pre-productionand so may or may not reflect what will be available in the production version of the Sony NW-WM1Z.

We'll post more video bits and pieces of the new Walkman's user interface next week.

Sep 2, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #51 of 1,101
LOL! I had to laugh at this because, especially at Can Jam '16, I noticed that the recording selection at peoples' stations always seemed to consist of the same Eagles album, Led Zeppelin album, jazz albums I've never heard of, Dianna Krall whom I don't listen to.

I hope to host a listening rig at next years' Can Jam in SF, and bring some new material to the fore. As well as some unconventional equipment, not part of the new-hotness scene.

Matthew

Big thanks for sharing, Jude, and bigger thanks for not playing Hotel California or Jazz at the Pawnshop.

Sep 2, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #52 of 1,101
Great vid, Jude. Would you also tell us how it sounds like or what kind of signature does it have or any similarities to certain lines of dap ? Thanks 

Sep 2, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #54 of 1,101
I Hope @jude can ask sony team if the EU WM1A will include the dreaded European volume law limit

Sep 2, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #55 of 1,101
That's awesome to see in action, not lagging at all. Do we know if the A30 series has this feature too?

Sep 3, 2016 at 2:40 AM Post #56 of 1,101
Thank you for the interview, for the video etc. and for the music used in your video. I had to buy the CD instantly :wink:

It's a little bit sad that the top end walkman is gold plated... would be great if they'll offer it matte silver plated, too.
The interface seems to be much snappier than ZX1 and ZX2.

BUT: Is it confirmed that you can NOT use the device while charging?? Hopefully that is not true as I'm using my ZX1 easily while charging.

Great that Sony did such a great job. Hopefully this time you can read the display outdoors, too! I hope they didn't make such a dumb error again.

Sep 3, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #59 of 1,101
  Thank you for the interview, for the video etc. and for the music used in your video. I had to buy the CD instantly :wink:

It's a little bit sad that the top end walkman is gold plated... would be great if they'll offer it matte silver plated, too.
The interface seems to be much snappier than ZX1 and ZX2.

BUT: Is it confirmed that you can NOT use the device while charging?? Hopefully that is not true as I'm using my ZX1 easily while charging.

Great that Sony did such a great job. Hopefully this time you can read the display outdoors, too! I hope they didn't make such a dumb error again.

Roger, according to the engineers it is a no go on the device use while charging and also for external dac use.

Sep 3, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #60 of 1,101
  Roger, according to the engineers it is a no go on the device use while charging and also for external dac use.

Ok, but for the end user it's a no go to have to wait 4-7 hours until it's charged again. :) Sounds a little bit like an excuse from the engineers.

A device like this begs for a suitable docking station... I hope they'll fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back