The Official Sony NW-WM1Z/ NW-WM1A Flagship DAP (Live From IFA 2016)
Sep 2, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #31 of 1,101
Sony never revealed the headphone output impedance of the zx2, what assurance can they officially say that the A and/or Z version will not hissy?
I'm happy for all the others that wanted more power and are going to receive it, but the zx2 was plenty powerful for my iems, it just wasn't quiet clean.
This is the last remaining aspect I need sorted out before I can making plans to get to afford it (gold)

Edit1: also they just mention the internal wiring cable to be Kimber Kables for the Z and plain OFC for the A, but that doesn't mean Kimber is not also using OFC themselves, albeit maybe better insulation and higher purity copper. But still, requires more clarity and less marketing.

We tried to ask and what we got was 250 mW into 16 ohms.  The power aspect is good.  

Sep 2, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #34 of 1,101
I guess I didn't miss much not watching that video though. Between the poor English and mister paper shuffling by the camera, I gave up quickly.

Sep 2, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #36 of 1,101
Very nice !, sorry didnt read but, is the VOLUME a knob or buttons ?

Sep 2, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #37 of 1,101
Sep 2, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #38 of 1,101

Ah never mind, just saw, CRAP it's two separate buttons ! :frowning2:

Does that push your buttons? 
biggrin.gif

Sep 2, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #39 of 1,101
  No normal DAC inside again. I guess this is again 15  + 15 mW, no?
4.4 mm balanced output - what is this?
blink.gif
Why not standard 2.5 mm?

Hope it sounds good...

2.5mm was an Iriver standard, 4.4mm is the official JEITA (Japanese version of DIN/ISO) standard as of this April.

Newly announced Onkyo and Pioneer DAPs are also migrating to 4.4mm no 2.5 or dual 3.5mm

Regarding balanced audio connectors: I'd like to see the industry agree on a single standard, and I'm quite strongly inclined right now to support Pentaconn as that standard. I've been using Pentaconn with the Walkman NW-WM1Z for a few days (with the Sony MDR-Z1R and its included Pentaconn cable), and it's immediately apparent how much more durable and secure this plug / jack configuration feels, versus 2.5mm (which I have never been a fan of as a connector).

If you look at most 2.5mm plug implementations prior to its use as a portable balanced audio connector, you'll see they were usually on the ear side of a headphone cable, with the strain relieved by a coupling between the plug body and the receiving housing--not directly on the 2.5mm pin. However, since its adoption as a balanced audio connector, the jack sits flush, giving no support or strain relief to the 2.5mm plug--so the tiny plug itself bears the force of any strain. While I'm careful with these connections (knowing how delicate that 2.5mm plug and jack can be), I've found the connection almost always feels loose, due to its shallow insertion and tiny contact surface area--it pops out way too easily, sometimes just enough to mess up the connection, and often all the way out.

Before Pentaconn, I recommended to at least a few portable device manufacturers to reconsider their use of 2.5mm, and instead go to mini-XLR, or some such. Now that Pentaconn is here, though, and having used it, I think it's the way to go. I know of other manufacturers (in addition to Sony) that will be supporting Pentaconn in upcoming products. As mentioned by @deafdoorknob, JEITA (Japan Electronics and Information Technology Industries Association) saw fit to make Pentaconn a standard, and I'd like to see the personal audio industry follow suit.
 ​
(Above, left to right) Pentaconn 5-pole 4.4mm plug, 6.35mm (1/4") plug, 3.5mm plug.
 ​

Sep 2, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #41 of 1,101
The fact is that many people today have devices with 2.5 mm output (not AK only) and tons of custom aftermarket cables with 2.5 mm jacks..

That was the same issue with the pha-3 with its strange 2 x 3.5 mm balanced output when I had to either stick to Sony products or to make all of my phones recabled ( I went this way, of course)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back