The Official Sony NW-WM1Z/ NW-WM1A Flagship DAP (Live From IFA 2016)
Sep 3, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #108 of 1,101
There are a couple of things that we can do to get the best out of the modern lithium based batteries. One of those things is to trying not to charge it to 100%, nor letting it to completely discharge to 0%. Many battery experts advise to keep the battery level between 80% to 20% for the longevity of the battery. In real life that may be just too much effort, so I keep my batteries within 90% and 10% range. And it's good to see Sony has added such a feature to its DAP.

Thanks, I guess I should do this with my Xperia too.

Sep 4, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #109 of 1,101
  Thank you for the interview, for the video etc. and for the music used in your video. I had to buy the CD instantly :wink:

It's a little bit sad that the top end walkman is gold plated... would be great if they'll offer it matte silver plated, too.
The interface seems to be much snappier than ZX1 and ZX2.

BUT: Is it confirmed that you can NOT use the device while charging?? Hopefully that is not true as I'm using my ZX1 easily while charging.

Great that Sony did such a great job. Hopefully this time you can read the display outdoors, too! I hope they didn't make such a dumb error again.

If only Sony could deliver a software update for the ZX2... if not making the whole UI snappier, at least they could upgrade the Music app to improve the search function. The current one is super limited while the Sony Music app for their smartphones provides much nicer search tools. 

As for the jack, it is really annoying that the industry can't agree on a standard for the balanced output. I have Hifiman RE-600 earphones that I love, but they are in balanced 3.5mm, which is fine for the ZX2, but not for anything else. And the cable is not removable, so...

Sep 4, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #111 of 1,101
If only Sony could deliver a software update for the ZX2... if not making the whole UI snappier, at least they could upgrade the Music app to improve the search function. The current one is super limited while the Sony Music app for their smartphones provides much nicer search tools. 

As for the jack, it is really annoying that the industry can't agree on a standard for the balanced output. I have Hifiman RE-600 earphones that I love, but they are in balanced 3.5mm, which is fine for the ZX2, but not for anything else. And the cable is not removable, so...

One word, pig tails. All my headphones are balanced and I then have a collection of pig tails for all kinds of connections

Sep 4, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #112 of 1,101
4.4mm is the official JEITA (Japanese version of DIN/ISO) standard as of this April.

Newly announced Onkyo and Pioneer DAPs are also migrating to 4.4mm no 2.5 or dual 3.5mm

Is this the case, I couldn't find anything on the Onkyo website.
Watching this space.

Sep 4, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #113 of 1,101
Is this the case, I couldn't find anything on the Onkyo website.

Updated japanese report stated Onkyo and Pioneer stick to use the fagile 2.5 mm balanced socket on their new DAPs.

Sep 4, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #114 of 1,101
Updated japanese report stated Onkyo and Pioneer stick to use the fagile 2.5 mm balanced socket on their new DAPs.

This shouldn't come as a surprise. They used the 2.5 mm on their first generation player and it makes sense that they'd continue that for the second generation. The 4.4 mm was only adopted as the new JEITA industry standard earlier this year. Most products like this are developed over the course of 12-18 months if not more and it wouldn't make sense for them to redesign the chassis and possibly the PCB this late in the development cycle. Chances are we'll still see the 2.5 mm connector used by most companies for a short time while they transition to using the 4.4 mm connection. Don't expect an immediate upturn in 4.4 mm devices but I'd plan on a gradual roll-out as product lines are updated. It's been 2 years since Sony revealed the connector to us at RMAF 2014 and they're just now releasing products that incorporate it into the design. It'll take time for the majority of manufacturers to get on board.

Sep 4, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #116 of 1,101
Is it possible to find 4.4 cables?

Probably not yet since as far as I'm aware these are the first to use it, but I'm sure there will be

Sep 4, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #117 of 1,101
So we will have to wait for the Zx3 if we want a new TOL Sony's DAP with TIDAL/Qobuz streaming ?  
mad.gif

But... will Sony release a Zx3 now that they came with this WM1 new DAP ?  
confused.gif
 That is the question !

Sep 4, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #118 of 1,101
I don't think that a ZX3 or other Android dap is coming

Sep 4, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #120 of 1,101
I don't think that a ZX3 or other Android dap is coming

Based on Sony websites, it states that the 1Z runs on Android platform:

http://www.sony.com/electronics/walkman/nw-wm1z/specifications

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/walkman/nw-wm1z/specifications

http://www.sony-asia.com/electronics/walkman/nw-wm1z/specifications

Did I miss something?

I am asking because, the main reason I have yet to invest in TOTL DAP like the AK380, due to the inability to stream music. Wondering if the 1Z is the DAP I have been waiting for :blush: i.e. High-end DAP with the ability to stream music.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back