The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 10, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #6,646 of 11,341
Anyone tried the ZMF Eikons vs Z1R? I heard its slightly better than the Z1R.

I'll let you know soon.  Mine are coming in this month.  I actually think I might like them better because the Z1R's bass can be a bit overwhelming for some tracks.

Should have my Eikon next week. I'll be doing a 3-way comparison with the Z1R, Ether C Flow and Eikon.

I would like to know if the Sony headphone is harder to drive from a portable device then Ether C flow?
I could use it with the Tera Player,but it requires more power to be optimised.

I've found the Z1R is a lot easier to drive than the Ether C Flow.

Feb 10, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #6,647 of 11,341
Should have my Eikon next week. I'll be doing a 3-way comparison with the Z1R, Ether C Flow and Eikon.
I've found the Z1R is a lot easier to drive than the Ether C Flow.

That sounds awesome! I've tried to ask a few questions in ZMF thread, but they must think im trolling or something because i ask about biocell comparisons, and bring up r10. Maybe the r10 bit hits a soft spot, but i see the r10 mentioned in reviews of it all the time. They look like a spitting image. All the reviews mention it, so i don't see the big deal in saying they look alike and built alike. When i asked twice about whether it was plant based biocell or bacteria, it's just brushed off. I mean most people might not get an r10 with its rarity anymore, so i dont see why its a big deal to be curious how that biocell compares to r10, fostex, etc. I wish someone with r10 experience has eikon and give feedback. If its even like 85-90% of r10 quality/ fidelity, then thats impressive. I've asked about z1r vs r10, and gotten responses. These are headphone comparisons after all.

Anyway, looking forward to it :D

Feb 10, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #6,648 of 11,341

That sounds awesome! I've tried to ask a few questions in ZMF thread, but they must think im trolling or something because i ask about biocell comparisons, and bring up r10. Maybe the r10 bit hits a soft spot, but i see the r10 mentioned in reviews of it all the time. They look like a spitting image. All the reviews mention it, so i don't see the big deal in saying they look alike and built alike. When i asked twice about whether it was plant based biocell or bacteria, it's just brushed off. I mean most people might not get an r10 with its rarity anymore, so i dont see why its a big deal to be curious how that biocell compares to r10, fostex, etc. I wish someone with r10 experience has eikon and give feedback. If its even like 85-90% of r10 quality/ fidelity, then thats impressive. I've asked about z1r vs r10, and gotten responses. These are headphone comparisons after all.

Anyway, looking forward to it :D

Well, Zach himself has said the design of the Eikon's were influenced by the r10 sound/design. You could drop him a PM and ask him some questions about the r10/Eikon correlation. He's an enthusiast just like us, so he's always happy to talk about headphones.

As far as people not responding in the ZMF thread, I bet only a few people in that thread have even heard the r10's. I've also got other Fostex headphones (900/600, THX00), so I can also provide some comparisons with those as well.

Feb 10, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #6,649 of 11,341
  Well, Zach himself has said the design of the Eikon's were influenced by the r10 sound/design. You could drop him a PM and ask him some questions about the r10/Eikon correlation. He's an enthusiast just like us, so he's always happy to talk about headphones.

As far as people not responding in the ZMF thread, I bet only a few people in that thread have even heard the r10's. I've also got other Fostex headphones (900/600, THX00), so I can also provide some comparisons with those as well.

Yes that would be great. I feel kind of sad because ever since i heard of r10, i wanted one, but the fact the prices are like $10000+ and not only price, but the fact they are rotting after close to 30 years since release is a very hard pill to swallow. Even though the z1R isn't a biocell, it seems that its up there and can compete with the other hifi beasts as it seems the two dynamic titans battling for that top spot for modern dynamics anyway is Z1R and Utopia, which both aren't biocell. As for biocell, by next year it will seem that Eikon, Klipsch, and Th900 will fight for modern biocell King Spot. As many will not have both Z1R/Utopia, and the other 3 biocell, these comparisons are important to some degree. Even though individual tastes are important, not many argue to say r10 is KING, so eventually modern KINGS should be crowned.
biggrin.gif
I know it takes some bravery to make such statements to say this is the new KING, but yeah. Surely one will set itself from the pac soon enough in the next year or two.
happy_face1.gif

There are top 10s for pretty much everything. Even brains! Top 100 brains on earth. So, why can't there be a top 10 for each year on here. Top 10 planars, electrostats, dynamic open/closed etc. With head fi'ers voting. Would it cause a headphone war or something? Even Steve Guttenburg makes lists for speakers and such.

Feb 10, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #6,650 of 11,341
  Yes that would be great. I feel kind of sad because ever since i heard of r10, i wanted one, but the fact the prices are like $10000+ and not only price, but the fact they are rotting after close to 30 years since release is a very hard pill to swallow. Even though the z1R isn't a biocell, it seems that its up there and can compete with the other hifi beasts as it seems the two dynamic titans battling for that top spot for modern dynamics anyway is Z1R and Utopia, which both aren't biocell. As for biocell, by next year it will seem that Eikon, Klipsch, and Th900 will fight for modern biocell King Spot. As many will not have both Z1R/Utopia, and the other 3 biocell, these comparisons are important to some degree. Even though individual tastes are important, not many argue to say r10 is KING, so eventually modern KINGS should be crowned.
biggrin.gif
I know it takes some bravery to make such statements to say this is the new KING, but yeah. Surely one will set itself from the pac soon enough in the next year or two.
happy_face1.gif

There are top 10s for pretty much everything. Even brains! Top 100 brains on earth. So, why can't there be a top 10 for each year on here. Top 10 planars, electrostats, dynamic open/closed etc. With head fi'ers voting. Would it cause a headphone war or something? Even Steve Guttenburg makes lists for speakers and such.

What about Top 10s for balance/neutrality, soundstage, clarity, musicality and so on? Sorting by these kind of metrics instead.
HPs have different capabilities and strong points. I have Utopia, Z1R and R10 and love them all.

Feb 10, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #6,652 of 11,341
Feb 10, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #6,653 of 11,341
Yes that would be great. I feel kind of sad because ever since i heard of r10, i wanted one, but the fact the prices are like $10000+ and not only price, but the fact they are rotting after close to 30 years since release is a very hard pill to swallow. Even though the z1R isn't a biocell, it seems that its up there and can compete with the other hifi beasts as it seems the two dynamic titans battling for that top spot for modern dynamics anyway is Z1R and Utopia, which both aren't biocell. As for biocell, by next year it will seem that Eikon, Klipsch, and Th900 will fight for modern biocell King Spot. As many will not have both Z1R/Utopia, and the other 3 biocell, these comparisons are important to some degree. Even though individual tastes are important, not many argue to say r10 is KING, so eventually modern KINGS should be crowned. :D I know it takes some bravery to make such statements to say this is the new KING, but yeah. Surely one will set itself from the pac soon enough in the next year or two.:happy_face1:  

It just wouldn't matter if we all voted because the best headphone wouldn't win the popular vote.

Feb 10, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #6,655 of 11,341

What about Top 10s for balance/neutrality, soundstage, clarity, musicality and so on? Sorting by these kind of metrics instead.
HPs have different capabilities and strong points. I have Utopia, Z1R and R10 and love them all.

It would help many if you did a comparison, and what you like about each and strengths weaknesses. And some pics for us would be awesome, as many don't see 4 cans like that side by side!
You might be one of few in the whole universe with that combo!

biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #6,656 of 11,341

It would help many if you did a comparison, and what you like about each and strengths weaknesses. And some pics for us would be awesome, as many don't see 4 cans like that side by side!
You might be one of few in the whole universe with that combo!

biggrin.gif

Heh, really?

Ok, meet the Sony sisters.

Then, the latest one from France in burn-in.

Good times.

Feb 10, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #6,657 of 11,341
  The amp and DAC shouldn't make that much of a difference to the sound assuming they are at least well designed, have low distortion and have enough power for the load. I would have to think that 90% of the sound at least is purely the headphone, so shifts from changing amp and DACs should while audible, still not be dramatic. Unless the amp or DAC are really designed with a major coloration intentionally by the designer, most well done gear should be pretty similar.

Yup especially DAC side.  Personally DSM DACs for me are seriously hard to tell apart, in some cases between good ones it's quite impossible. But there is a noticeable difference between DSM and multibit.  My go-to now is multibit. 

Feb 10, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #6,659 of 11,341

Heh, really?

Then, the latest one from France in burn-in.

Good times.

More like KING, Elegant QUEEN, and PRINCE

My jaw actually dropped. For like 30 seconds. Please do the community a favor and do a writeup. I didn't think the R10 would look SO BIG.

Good Sir, Kind Sir (or Madam) :p

Feb 10, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #6,660 of 11,341

Heh, really?

beerchug.gif

I see two right here but one of them isn't around, sadly. And you have to turn those R10 around to match. L/R asymmetries tickle my OCD
biggrin.gif

Curious angle on that shot, the Z1R look tiny, but in reality they're wider than the CD3K, although not such deep thick bean-bags.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back