The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 10, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #6,676 of 11,341
  I didn't mean do you believe in burn in, I was asking if you feel the Z1R improves on the sound signature issues you experienced with the TH900.

Oh gotcha....absolutely! The TH900s are fatally flawed for me due to their U response and problematic treble. Plus they isolate like open headphones. 
tongue.gif
 The Z1Rs are the best closed headphones I've heard. I fell in love with them at RMAF last year and couldn't resist the itch when I found a pair finally on sale here in Canada.

Feb 10, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #6,677 of 11,341
  Oh gotcha....absolutely! The TH900s are fatally flawed for me due to their U response and problematic treble. Plus they isolate like open headphones. 
tongue.gif
 The Z1Rs are the best closed headphones I've heard. I fell in love with them at RMAF last year and couldn't resist the itch when I found a pair finally on sale here in Canada.

yeah I agree, all Fostex headphone has really poor isolation, Ether Flow actually Isolate better than my TH-X00(now sold) despite being open, LOL.
Z1R has good Isolation, not the best but a lot better than Fostex.

Feb 10, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #6,678 of 11,341
tongue.gif

Yea, I can't stand the TH900's unless you pad roll them and perform some mods on them. 

Feb 10, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #6,680 of 11,341
Feb 10, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #6,682 of 11,341
Still looking for the upgrade cable for Z1R.

I tried T1 2nd stock cable yesterday on my balance system yesterday.

This combination is actually not bad at all. Z1R become brighter and the bass is tighten but goes very deep.

However, the sweetness of vocal is missing.....

Seems that isn't a perfect match for Z1R.

Any other impression of cables for Z1R?

Feb 11, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #6,685 of 11,341
Still burning in the phones...

Initial impressions:
Impressive build quality from the softness of the leather felt on skin to the laser etched details on the headphone bands. Everything except the cable bespoke of quality. I'm pretty impressed.

Sound:
Personally, I do not find the bass level is overwhelming. I did find an isolated case of volume levels suddenly become piercing from 2 cello, live performance at suntory hall.So far, the issue hasn't appeared on other music that I have listened to.

For movies, I tested the z1r on enders game. Nice atmospheric sound. The sub bass added more feel to the movie on enders shootout with 2 of his rival teams, to the part where he panned the view during his last simulation. It feels more immersive.

Overall, I'm liking the sound signature so far which isn't far off from m50x.

Feb 11, 2017 at 3:35 AM Post #6,686 of 11,341
Feb 11, 2017 at 3:37 AM Post #6,687 of 11,341
Feb 11, 2017 at 3:42 AM Post #6,688 of 11,341
For those of you who want a z1r but maybe can't really fork the $2000 up front I would wait for best buy to have the z1r in Stock and do 12 month financing on them. You pay it off in 12 months (about $166 a month) you won't get charged interest. Just food for thought if you... Really really want these.

Feb 11, 2017 at 5:09 AM Post #6,689 of 11,341

Heh, really?

Ok, meet the Sony sisters.

Then, the latest one from France in burn-in.

Good times.

Where's the Qualia bro?  
wink.gif
 I don't have the Utopia but the R10 is still my favorite among the Sony phones that I have.  I hope to get around to do a write up soon.  Also, your R10 is likely not a bass light version because mine is also in the 300s.  There are a total of four drivers and each was tuned a little differently.  I wish Koji N. (Sony Headphones Director) can enlighten us.

Feb 11, 2017 at 5:15 AM Post #6,690 of 11,341

Quote:

That doesn't happen based on any of my experiences or anything I've ever read. It could be your source, amp, DAC? I've never seen headphones adjust that much over time with any quantifiable data whatsoever. The TH900s are horribly V or U shaped and that's the biggest reason I eventually sold them (that and the tizzy treble had me avoiding so many recordings). 

Sorry i dont have measurement rig ,, all this is based on hearing after leaving the headphone burning for few days ,
first day i thought they are worm and dark with a little bit emphasis on the bass  ,, yesterday was a different story ,,
after listening for hours ,, i had pain in my ears ,, so i did EQ based on experience (in blind with measurement)
the best result for me was lowering the 6-7k band and the pain is gone and the sound was a lot better and like the 1st day
also i lowered the bass to get a better mids that i was loosing with the bass .

btw some headphones do change after burning ,, for example AudioQuest NightHawk do get bright after 100hr
HE400 had some distortion without burning , sure not all change notably but its a fact ... burning change headphones ..

regarding the TH-900 , yeeh for sure its V , U shaped but with some recording it get very pronounced
what i hear now with the Z1R  is recessed mids all the time , so i have to crank the volume to enjoy these mids.

I think i need the full copper cable to tame the treble ,, i never liked the silver , silver coated cables ..

Really? I just think it is more resolving. The measurements didn't show that peak if I remember correctly.

What do you call recessed mids ? for me i have to crank the volume to enjoy these mids , its not resolving issue ,, not at all ..
btw i love these headphones , dont get me wrong ,, i think they are amazing  ,, just need some EQ to fully enjoy them with my dac and amp and ears
am sharing my experience , maybe am wrong ,, and something is wrong with my setup , but still its true to me as day and night :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back