The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 10, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #6,632 of 11,341
Familiar with the theory, but I've never seen it happen with any of my headphones, ever. Even with my heavier cans. I had an LCD-2 I didn't listen to for an entire year... It just sat on the stand. No marks, no compression, nothing. Not too worried about it.

That said, the Just Mobile stand, while pretty when paired with the Z1R, is only a temporary stand-in... I actually bought it for my HD650.

For the Z1R, I'm waiting on this from Korea... Which somewhat addresses compression issues by using multiple points of contact to distribute the weight. Even if I don't believe in compression issues, ha ha. I bought it because I wanted something sculptural since the Z1R will live on my dining table...

In my opinion, this is the best stand.
The pressure is equally distributed on the headband, while there is ZERO pressure on the ear cups! 

Feb 10, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #6,633 of 11,341

In my opinion, this is the best stand.
The pressure is equally distributed on the headband, while there is ZERO pressure on the ear cups! 

I would buy a foam Mannequinn head, and then glue it to a piece of hardwood in carefully balancing it for stability on the table. Then use a knife or some short of tools to crave up the empty spaces around it ears and face to make a good foam block headphones stand :D. Cheap and effective. However, I choose to leave headphones in the box anyway

https://www.walmart.com/ip/SHANY-Cosmetics-Styrofoam-Model-Mannequin-Heads-6-count/48707689?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227038614800&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=92180232257&wl4=pla-183844642097&wl5=9015508&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=48707689&wl13=&veh=sem

Feb 10, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #6,636 of 11,341
And now we need to know how is the Z1R compared to the new Aeon 
frown.gif
 I am tired of this bloody hobby. 

Feb 10, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #6,638 of 11,341
How about you do the team a favor, and make it happen ?
biggrin.gif
I am also tired of this hobby too...lol. But it is here to stay

I cancelled my order with Sony.ca (pending order for over a month!!), now I am still waiting for my local dealer to get me the final price of the Z1R.
If he gets me a steel price, for sure I will pre-order the Aeon to do the comparison 
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #6,639 of 11,341
  I cancelled my order with Sony.ca (pending order for over a month!!), now I am still waiting for my local dealer to get me the final price of the Z1R.
If he gets me a steel price, for sure I will pre-order the Aeon to do the comparison 
biggrin.gif

I recently cancelled my order of the Z1R in favour of the Aeon, which I haven't heard. I had the Z1R at a crazy price too, £1,085 brand new. 

I had another Z1R for a while, which was slightly damaged, so was returned. I loved the sound with the exception of the bass, which I found a bit too much at times. I also found them a bit uncomfortable, especially in comparison to my HD800S. They do have a fantastic depth and warmth which sounded very true to life to me. 

I need an open pair much more than closed, so it made sense given my issues with the Z1R to go for the Aeon, but a bit of a risk not having heard them and being unable to return them. I'm looking forward to trying them out.

Feb 10, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #6,640 of 11,341
I recently cancelled my order of the Z1R in favour of the Aeon, which I haven't heard. I had the Z1R at a crazy price too, £1,085 brand new. 

Tried it recently out of a Hugo (and Hugo 2). I wouldn't put it in the same league as the Z1R at all. But then it is much cheaper, so maybe it's not a fair comparison. Show conditions etc etc, but still didn't find it noteworthy.

Feb 10, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #6,642 of 11,341
Tried it recently out of a Hugo (and Hugo 2). I wouldn't put it in the same league as the Z1R at all. But then it is much cheaper, so maybe it's not a fair comparison. Show conditions etc etc, but still didn't find it noteworthy.

how dees the hugo 2 sound with the Z1R?
I'm using mojo, I wonder if using the hugo 2 will make the Z1R sounds a lot better.. (I mean a lot, I couldn't justify the spending otherwise)

Feb 10, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #6,643 of 11,341
how dees the hugo 2 sound with the Z1R?
I'm using mojo, I wonder if using the hugo 2 will make the Z1R sounds a lot better.. (I mean a lot, I couldn't justify the spending otherwise)

Chord didn't have the Z1R at the table and I didn't bring much with me as I was on vacation, or I would have surely compared. I literally didn't have anything else I could use with it, that's why I had to go with the Aeon. Funny thing is, when I told them I couldn't tell much difference when switching the Hugo 2's various filters, the rep told me "it's more readily apparent with IEMs and more sensitive headphones".

I didn't want to be rude, but I was thinking to myself, "well why didn't you guys get one of those then instead of this, go loan a Z1R from the Sony guys" :p

Feb 10, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #6,644 of 11,341
I had the z7.
I loved it. But I found that even though they are dark and non fatiguing in general, some music, particular some of my heavier albums actually sounded shrill and harsh.
This was with mojo as source.

I currently have the ether ç and also love it, while it is thin I love the clarity but long for a more musical sound.

Has the z1r improved on the hard sounding upper mida and highs? I am not saying that this is common. Probably 15% of the tracks I played with the z7 sounded this way, just sucjs that that 15% fell in my favourite genres.

May be looking at getting the z1r but will be a blind purchase.

Feb 10, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #6,645 of 11,341
The amp and DAC shouldn't make that much of a difference to the sound assuming they are at least well designed, have low distortion and have enough power for the load. I would have to think that 90% of the sound at least is purely the headphone, so shifts from changing amp and DACs should while audible, still not be dramatic. Unless the amp or DAC are really designed with a major coloration intentionally by the designer, most well done gear should be pretty similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back