The Official Sennheiser IE800S thread!
May 24, 2019 at 10:22 PM Post #976 of 1,278
Not exactly. Double check pin assignment for IE800S below:
9940611_l.jpg
Thanks even for looking I still didn't see

May 24, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #977 of 1,278
Hello friends! Here's my long overdue review of Sennheiser's IE800S. 'Hope you enjoy! :D

Stunning arent they, I still miss them.

Today, I'd like to express my utmost disappointment with Sennheiser IE800s quality control. As I already have and have been using IE800 for over a year I thought it would be a no brainer to upgrade and get a fresh pair of IE800S to couple with my newly purchased AK SP1000M only to find out that TRRS 2.5mm balanced adapter was faulty and the IEMs wouldn't play music through it. I tried it with my wife's AK SR15 to rule out hardware issues, but alas... I could not believe that a product which costs as much as $1500AUD would have a faulty adaptor cable. Anyway I decided to suck it up and headed back to the store (official distributor) where I purchased the IEMs to ask for the adaptor replacement from a demo unit BUT it wouldn’t work neither with mine nor with their demo IEMs!!! After trying multiple cable permutations, we could definitely conclude that it was the adaptor cable. The batch number of my set was #304. The batch number of the demo set was #300. Pretty close. I could only assume the whole batch might have had the same problem. I opted for full refund as I wouldn't wish to wait extended period of time for the replacement part of a HI-END! product as I firmly believe that such merchandise must have had exceptional quality control before it reached the shelves.

The whole experience with Sennheiser IE800S top of the line IEMs is ruined for me.

For headfiers who are reading this, I would suggest to test their 2.5mm TRRS adaptor cables and replace them before the warranty runs out.

Attaching the photo of my invoice as proof.

9940512_l.jpg

Oh man hope Sennheiser gets this sorted im sure they dont want to end up like Hifiman :wink:

May 25, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #978 of 1,278
Stunning arent they, I still miss them.

Oh man hope Sennheiser gets this sorted im sure they dont want to end up like Hifiman :wink:
Yeah there will always be lemon units regardless of what product segment you look into. Even on cars. That's why they have warranty for situations like this.

Jun 2, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #980 of 1,278
Have there been issues with fakes like there have been with the original IE800? Trying to decide if it's worth buying used and saving a few hundred dollars.

Jun 2, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #981 of 1,278
Hello guys, do you know a store in Europe where I can try the Sennheiser IE800S before buying them?
Thanks!

AVStore Romania used to have them, but I don't know, haven't kept in touch with them for a really long while

HIFIHeadphones.co.uk may have them, give them a shot.

Have there been issues with fakes like there have been with the original IE800? Trying to decide if it's worth buying used and saving a few hundred dollars.

No, but that's not the point, if a fake is a fake, you're not getting the full sound quality either. In fact, that is a big part of the issue, not only you're not getting the full sound quality, you're also missing on build qualiy. The fakes don't get the issues of the originals because they aren't the same thing...

Jun 2, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #982 of 1,278
AVStore Romania used to have them, but I don't know, haven't kept in touch with them for a really long while

HIFIHeadphones.co.uk may have them, give them a shot.

No, but that's not the point, if a fake is a fake, you're not getting the full sound quality either. In fact, that is a big part of the issue, not only you're not getting the full sound quality, you're also missing on build qualiy. The fakes don't get the issues of the originals because they aren't the same thing...

I meant are there a bunch of fake IE800S floating around (thus buying used would be a risky prospect) like there are a bunch of fake original IE800.

Jun 2, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #983 of 1,278
I meant are there a bunch of fake IE800S floating around (thus buying used would be a risky prospect) like there are a bunch of fake original IE800.

On an overall level I'm not sure if I can recomment IE800 at this point, there are a LOT of other interesting offers around from other companies.

Ie800's downfall was its comfort, you could look at other options as well, if you're looking for something comfy :)

Jun 3, 2019 at 2:01 AM Post #984 of 1,278
On an overall level I'm not sure if I can recomment IE800 at this point, there are a LOT of other interesting offers around from other companies.

Ie800's downfall was its comfort, you could look at other options as well, if you're looking for something comfy :)
IME, I wouldn't say their downfall is the comfort but rather they are still a bit microphonic and the cable is not fully detachable up to the earpieces.

Jun 3, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #986 of 1,278
And the awful silicone tips...

In fact, I could live with the cable, it is the tips that I couldn't make peace with :)
Yeah, I'm with you about the tips. Though the medium round tips fit me just fine. Just wish I could tip roll with these.

Jun 6, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #987 of 1,278
Hello guys,

Today I received the Sennheiser IE800S in-ear monitors and I am very disappointed.
I paid 999€ and the package was opened (not the external box, but the Sennheiser black box did not have any transparent film).
Furthermore, the standard 3.5mm (single ended) cable was totally missing! Where is the Sennheiser quality?
Is it normal that Sennheiser sells refurbished, opened, tested, used products at the price of a brand new product?
I am very upset and disappointed.

How can I manage this sad situation? Of course I cannot confirm this order. I have 30 days to return them but Sennheiser needs to admit that this time they did a huge mistake with me (and I suppose with a lot of customers then).

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #988 of 1,278
Hello guys,

Today I received the Sennheiser IE800S in-ear monitors and I am very disappointed.
I paid 999€ and the package was opened (not the external box, but the Sennheiser black box did not have any transparent film).
Furthermore, the standard 3.5mm (single ended) cable was totally missing! Where is the Sennheiser quality?
Is it normal that Sennheiser sells refurbished, opened, tested, used products at the price of a brand new product?
I am very upset and disappointed.

How can I manage this sad situation? Of course I cannot confirm this order. I have 30 days to return them but Sennheiser needs to admit that this time they did a huge mistake with me (and I suppose with a lot of customers then).
From whom did you buy them? If the box was opened, then the product was not in factory-new condition. That would be a problem with the vendor, rather than the manufacturer. Even if Sennheiser sold them, that's still an issue with the retail end, rather than manufacturing. Return them and get a replacement. It should never be "normal" to sell open box if they are represented as new.

Jun 6, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #989 of 1,278
From whom did you buy them? If the box was opened, then the product was not in factory-new condition. That would be a problem with the vendor, rather than the manufacturer. Even if Sennheiser sold them, that's still an issue with the retail end, rather than manufacturing. Return them and get a replacement. It should never be "normal" to sell open box if they are represented as new.
Yesterday I bought the IE800S from the Sennheiser Belgium website!
The order has been processed by DigitalRiver store, which manages all web orders at Sennheiser Belgium.
I am disappointed. Yesterday I was very happy, this is the first time that I spend around 1000 Euros for a very thin in-ear and to be sure to buy a genuine product I decided to pay more (the full price) from the official store.

The package was shipped from Germany and delivered to Belgium.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #990 of 1,278
Yesterday I bought the IE800S from the Sennheiser Belgium website!
The order has been processed by DigitalRiver store, which manages all web orders at Sennheiser Belgium.
I am disappointed. Yesterday I was very happy, this is the first time that I spend around 1000 Euros for a very thin in-ear and to be sure to buy a genuine product I decided to pay more (the full price) from the official store.
Your disappointment is understandable. In a perfect world, things like this wouldn't happen, but occasionally things do slip through the cracks. Contact the seller, explain the problem, and insist on a replacement in truly new condition. Likewise, insist that all shipping charges involving the return and replacement are covered by the seller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back