The Official Sennheiser IE800S thread!
Jan 9, 2019 at 1:17 AM Post #947 of 1,278
I have only worn them over ear. They feel a lot more secure and I get a deeper fit. There are no signs of wear on the cable or strain relief near the housings. Whenever I would try to wear them cable down it felt like they wanted to fall out if I wanted to move around. Almost 2 yrs. and they still look new.
Yes, I have been wearing them over the ear as well, no issues as far as I can tell
Thanks!

Jan 17, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #948 of 1,278
Has anyone tried the AKG N5005? If yes, how does the IE800s compare to it? I'm having a hard time choosing between the two. I listen to Hip-hop, classical music, rock, so I dont have a favourite genre. Sound is my main priority.

Jan 29, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #949 of 1,278
Has anyone tried the AKG N5005? If yes, how does the IE800s compare to it? I'm having a hard time choosing between the two. I listen to Hip-hop, classical music, rock, so I dont have a favourite genre. Sound is my main priority.

I haven't heard the AKG's
My guess is they will be pretty good as well
Normally you can't go wrong with either the AKG's or the Sennheisers

Mostly it will come down to how they fit in your ears.
And there is only one way to find that out

It will be difficult to find a shop that sells both to compare?

Jan 29, 2019 at 3:45 AM Post #950 of 1,278
They both good but if you read the previous thread you should see some comparisons.

I would recommend the N5005 I’ve had both but these are better on the lows. Also you get 3 filters so can change to suite genre or taste.

Feb 19, 2019 at 7:39 AM Post #951 of 1,278
I actually started wearing them over ear. It's more comfortable and what is more important: I've noticed a slight change in sound when I used to wear them in a "normal" way: when sitting up or standing/walking just slightly veils the whole sound as oppose to when laying down. So wearing them over ear cancels out this glitch for me. But of course it depends on your own ear canals shape and size and the tip you're using.

I went with the silicone tips. Comply in just too bass heavy for me.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #953 of 1,278
So after parting with the original ie800 in 2015, I decided to try the IE800S which I found a very very good deal to pass on. I missed their very miniscule design compared to recent releases from other manufacturers. Now listening very extensively and I can say I still love the fun sound factor.

Mar 13, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #954 of 1,278
I was going through my old stash of potable amps and dusted off the cypher labs duet and plug in the ie800s, YES this combo is great the highs are crispy and bass is fast hitting! Playing straight from my note 8.

Apr 17, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #956 of 1,278
so is the ie800s such a huge improvement and not a disappointment to it's predecessor? as the standard ie80 is better than the ie80s?

As an owner of both, I'd say it's a side-grade (as opposed to an upgrade). I think of it as a different take on the IE800, rather than an upgrade (that's just me). It dials down the peaky high and what some considered too prominent sub-bass. The mids aren't so pushed back as a result (more U-shaped now than V-shaped before). In other words, a more balanced out sound.

Whether the changes are better is up to you. I can see either way. Taming back the upper treble helps fatigue significantly but took away a big shining quality that the IE 800 offered against most others. The original IE 800 no doubt sounded crispier. But I always felt the mids on the original sounded confined. They have room to breathe now, like they should.

A game of give and take. Hope this helps.

Apr 18, 2019 at 5:28 AM Post #957 of 1,278
so it might be more balanced sound, but how do they sound, in overall? do they sound enjoyable? I know sometimes it's nicer to have a really balanced sound, but generally they should sound good too, and not too neutral?

Apr 18, 2019 at 7:39 AM Post #958 of 1,278
so it might be more balanced sound, but how do they sound, in overall? do they sound enjoyable? I know sometimes it's nicer to have a really balanced sound, but generally they should sound good too, and not too neutral?
They are certainly not neutral. I enjoy the sound of the IE800S. The bass has a nice punch and extends well without impeding the other frequencies. I find the treble to be smooth and non-offensive. The mids are not forward or in your face. Overall, it feel the signature blends well together.

Apr 18, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #959 of 1,278
They are certainly not neutral. I enjoy the sound of the IE800S. The bass has a nice punch and extends well without impeding the other frequencies. I find the treble to be smooth and non-offensive. The mids are not forward or in your face. Overall, it feel the signature blends well together.
Totally agree on this. One of the most natural and fun sounding iems out there.

Apr 18, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #960 of 1,278
They of course sound fantastic. But I've always felt (both versions) that there's some energy and fullness missing. Can't quite put my finger on what it is. For me, they're more analytical than for rockin'/meaty enjoyment you can get from some others.

These are pretty distinct. If you highly value superb clarity, separation, extension, dynamics, then these should be on your short list. But if you also really value a big, full, lively sound, than might not be the best option. Personally, I love these in my collection, but wouldn't want them as my only earphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back