The official "most OVERRATED headphones" thread
Mar 6, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #391 of 666
Quote:

Originally Posted by centerfold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread has lead me to believe that audiophile headphones are overrated and that one should stick to the earbuds they give you with your mp3 players (since they have not been stated as "overrated"!).
= (

Yeah -- I'm selling ALL my over-priced stuff, and then going to the dollar store for some nice, cheap, REAL cans.
mad.gif

Mar 6, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #392 of 666
Mar 6, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #393 of 666
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why not use the search function and read up on previous threads that have already addressed this very topic? Is 5 pages of results not good enough for proper analyzing? Especially if new, a great way to learn is to read up on these boards, there is much information here already..
confused.gif

Use the search function, I am boycotting this thread
cool.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/mos...dphone-231730/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/mos...dphone-137316/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/mos...dphone-137313/

Don't ruin our fun!

Mar 16, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #394 of 666
Any Shure.

I wanted to say every IEM, but I only tried shures. They were my first (and probably last) IEM's and I haven't had worse experience in any headphone I've ever tried (except some in-ear "buds"). Very, very muffled, no soundstage whatsoever, I had to concentrate so hard to hear any single instrument (except singer) I got headache. Even after two weeks of intensive burn-in and listening I notice after one song I haven't listen rest of the album from start to finish. They are just like am-radio; it's on but just for background noise.
If ksc 75's cost 20$ it's fair to say e4c's are worth of 5$. I really think if they cost 5 dollars, people won't buy them more than they buy them now. They'll probably just forgot them like any other 5-dollar phone.

What they caused? I probably never try any IEM anymore ...ever. I'm not able to try any iem because where I live.

Oh sound quality? I had one pair of FAKE MDR-E888's (made in china). This is funny; I have a friend who own professional recording studio and he's also a mixer/producer. He tried them and couldn't care less. Then I gave him those fake 888's...

-"I don't care them either, they have same kind of sound signature. But if I have to pick one of those, then these may suit better."
-Why?
-These actually reveal at least something from the music. They sound awfull but they doesn't sound like you are listening mono-recording under water, like those previous "buds".

-They were three-hundred-dollar professional canal phones. Made by shure.

-Oh, then they are worth every penny! Wink.

After that he did his mixing-board thing (which usually take one-to-five minutes) and told me to wait when he smoke a cigarette and equalize those bastards to sound properly.
Half a pack later he gave up.
-Those highs are "unequalizable! Whatever I do they'll start to sound metallic. I have to cut them and then they sound like ...crap. First time everything, but no can do. These are seriously flawed, are you sure these are fine?

-yes. They are second pair. First pair sounded just the same.

-This remainds me when some artists use these iem's for monitoring and tell me to "up the highs". After I do that they yell: Did I ask to add some metallic effect or why my voice/instrument sounds like this?

-----
Why I wrote this? It made me feel good after that frustration. And to tell everybody you can spend your money way better. I think it's still safe to use this sentence like 10 years ago: Grab a 20bucks portapros and you are good to go. If you want better, pick V6's, AKG240's, BD-DT250, Full-size Sennheiser or Audio-technicas -or something similar. They are "de-facto standard" HEADPHONES, to guide you to right direction. I think that's better way than spend hundreds to get weird sound to get use to.

Mar 16, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #395 of 666
If it makes you feel any better I feel the same way about Shures. Then again I might just be an Etymotic fangirl.

Mar 16, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #396 of 666
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why not use the search function and read up on previous threads that have already addressed this very topic? Is 5 pages of results not good enough for proper analyzing? Especially if new, a great way to learn is to read up on these boards, there is much information here already..
confused.gif

Use the search function, I am boycotting this thread
cool.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/mos...dphone-231730/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/mos...dphone-137316/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/mos...dphone-137313/

I think the main point is that all of these types of threads are useless. Here's a post I made in this thread back on page 28 (found it quickly with the search feature):

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/3322436-post278.html

Essentially, my point is that you can't go by what people say in these kinds of threads. Why?

1. They are answering a generic question like, "What are the most overrated headphones?"

2. Thus, since there is no real context to the question (i.e., overrated in what ways? price? sound quality? just too popular? what?) they instead reply based only on their own perceptions of different headphones that they don't like (and thus are overrated in their subjective take on things).

3. The law of large numbers suggests that given points 1 and 2 above, that eventually ALL headphones will be listed in such threads. I gave up after page 10 but suspect there are (by now) probably 100 more headphones (in the last 30 pages of this thread) that one person or another considers overrated. Heck, just 2 posts above this one, somebody wiped out the entire Shure product line!

4. Here's the catch! You will find the exact same list of headphones mentioned in threads that ask, "What are the most underrated headphones?" Why? Eventually every headphone known to mankind will be listed in either thread. It's kind of like asking, "What is your favorite flavor of ice cream?" and "What flavor of ice cream do you like the least?"

Mar 16, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #397 of 666
Quote:

Originally Posted by L7R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After that he did his mixing-board thing (which usually take one-to-five minutes) and told me to wait when he smoke a cigarette and equalize those bastards to sound properly.
Half a pack later he gave up.
-Those highs are "unequalizable! Whatever I do they'll start to sound metallic. I have to cut them and then they sound like ...crap. First time everything, but no can do. These are seriously flawed, are you sure these are fine?

-yes. They are second pair. First pair sounded just the same.

-This remainds me when some artists use these iem's for monitoring and tell me to "up the highs". After I do that they yell: Did I ask to add some metallic effect or why my voice/instrument sounds like this?

Boosting high frequencies usually adds "air" and detail, locational cues to sound. Human hearing is echoic, and high frequencies convey reflections, depth and distance cues. The only snag is any EQ adjustment will inevitably modify the overall frequency response too, so boosting high frequencies might drag high midrange up. EQ may not necessarily fix sounding, often it can make it more artificial and muffled.

Originally IEMs were an invention meant to be used onstage in conjunction with limiters and wireless transmission in place of monitor speakers, hence the name. They were never meant as "proper" listening headphones though.

The canalphone hype is somewhat too out of proportion, that stuff is painful
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #398 of 666
Quote:

If it makes you feel any better I feel the same way about Shures. Then again I might just be an Etymotic fangirl.

Many times I have think to myself; I should have bought those er4's instead. It was hard desicion, I even start a topic before I bought e4c's which one might suit me better, IIRC.
I think I'm sort of grado/alessandro fanboy.
rs1smile.gif
Also I like many studio-monitor headphones over casual phones, so a little sparkle is preferred. But, I still like many sennheisers even they've been said veiled or "too polite". But shures... never again.

I hope I didn't offend or upset anybody in my previous post. My english is not very good so I might have sound more strict than I wanted.
redface.gif

Mar 16, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #399 of 666
Quote:

Heck, just 2 posts above this one, somebody wiped out the entire Shure product line!

Guilty as charged! My embarrasment goes out of charts.
redface.gif

redface.gif
redface.gif

redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif

redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif

redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif
------>me

But that really came from bottom of my heart. Really. If you read whole thread there's people mentioning that ALL IEM's are overrated. But if major portion here found 20$ KSC-75's are better sounding than E4c's (especially now, after the hype has calmed down) am I completely wrong saying they are completely:

A. Overpriced
B. Overrated

?

Mar 16, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #400 of 666
Yea I was not impressed with the Ety ER4S's that I bought and amped, in my opinion, overpriced...

im sure some people out there dig them though, so im not gonna bash them further.

Mar 16, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #401 of 666
Quote:

Originally Posted by L7R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guilty as charged! My embarrasment goes out of charts.
redface.gif

redface.gif
redface.gif

redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif

redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif

redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif
------>me

But that really came from bottom of my heart. Really. If you read whole thread there's people mentioning that ALL IEM's are overrated. But if major portion here found 20$ KSC-75's are better sounding than E4c's (especially now, after the hype has calmed down) am I completely wrong saying they are completely:

A. Overpriced
B. Overrated

?

No need to be embarrassed or to apologize about your opinion. As you say, that's your read on things. But my whole point is that these sorts of threads are useless because someone else can come along and say that that each of the Shure IEMs are underrated and represent a great value for their respective price points.

I've seen that exact sort of thing from many people. Actually, when Tyll wrote up his initial impressions of the then 'new' product line that Shure came out with, this was more or less his take on it, and he's an extremely experienced headphone listener with no particular reason to have a pro-Shure bias. He sells all sorts of products from all sorts of companies. He simply and honestly was quite impressed, as have been many people who have tried these same products.

What I'm getting at, more than anything, is that, Yes!, people will all have their opinions, and Yes!, those opinions will differ. Kind of like what flavor or ice cream you like. In your case you may not like IEMs (of any kind) at all, and thus prefer the KSC-75 over the UE11. Who knows?!?! Is that 'wrong' as such? Not at all. Your ears, your preferences.

It's just that in threads like this, everyone expressed their honest opinion, and as a result someone is bound to think that pretty much any pair of headphones that you can name is overrated. Or underrated.

Thus, I find these kinds of threads to be pretty useless and not really worth debating in great detail. They can be fun in the sense that people can go back and forth with each other and discuss the same types of things that they would in other, more serious, threads. Yet, for someone to think that he or she can draw any valid conclusions from these kinds of threads? Ehhh.

Mar 16, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #404 of 666
Quote:

Originally Posted by phkd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea I was not impressed with the Ety ER4S's that I bought and amped, in my opinion, overpriced...

im sure some people out there dig them though, so im not gonna bash them further.

I don't think they are worth MSRP, but street price around $170-180? Definitely worth it.

Mar 16, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #405 of 666
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think they are worth MSRP, but street price around $170-180? Definitely worth it.

i forgot to mention that the day i got them, the left piece stopped producing sound. Even still, despite the beautiful crystalline highs, they just didn't do it for me... I think it was the fact that they laugh in the face of bass.

Enjoy those AD700s though, I like em even more than the 900s, they are great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back