The official "most OVERRATED headphones" thread
May 10, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #421 of 666
I think that to hear the most of many of the higher priced phones you really need to have top notch amplification. Without that you haven't heard them, in my opinion.

May 10, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #422 of 666
You guys do realize this is over-rated, not over-priced, right?

I say Grados, because everywhere you go you see people saying 'You like rock? You're a Grado fan and just don't know it yet!' or 'Metal? You want Grados!'. Theres this weird cult-like belief that for any rock or metal, a Grado is the be-all and end-all of headphones. It's not true. They may be okay, even good, but they are way over-rated.

May 10, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #423 of 666
Ok, but why would so many people rate the Grados that way. Mass hysteria? :^) I still think that if you got the amplification some of these phones will live up to their general rating. You can have the most sophisticated race car but if you ain't got the gas (source) and engine you don't really know what it is capable of.

May 10, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #424 of 666
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AKG K701.

I've tried. Lord knows I've tried.

The 701 makes me question the motivations of the print and online reviewers and business bigwigs who started the FOTM for it. At the very least, it makes me question their credibility and hearing.
eek.gif

What's your issue with them? A lot of people prefer the earlier K500/1 K400/1 series, might be worth investigating.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exediron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I say Grados, because everywhere you go you see people saying 'You like rock? You're a Grado fan and just don't know it yet!' or 'Metal? You want Grados!'. Theres this weird cult-like belief that for any rock or metal, a Grado is the be-all and end-all of headphones. It's not true. They may be okay, even good, but they are way over-rated.

It's because they're so aggressive and in-your-face, which a lot of rock fans like, and the bright treble makes them sound "exciting". I prefer the darker, more expansive Sextett for rock though.

Well actually I don't like how dark they are but oh well
tongue.gif

May 10, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #425 of 666
The Senn CX300's, they serve their purpose for me, but are not worth the $100 thet're being sold for.

May 10, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #426 of 666
Quote:

I noticed you don't have any Grados mentioned in your sig or profile. Maybe you should try them, you just might change your mind
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'll throw a vote in for JVC Marshmallows.

May 10, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #427 of 666
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberidd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Senn CX300's, they serve their purpose for me, but are not worth the $100 thet're being sold for.

$100? RRP? I hope you pressed zero one time too many there because the CX300 isn't worth near $10 nevermind $100. It's a horrible earphone in every single way at every level.

May 10, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #428 of 666
I keep trying the K701 because people insist they're great. They're not great. They're plastic fragmenters of sound, across many amps, and not musical.

I think that they appeal to a certain type of Head-Fier, one who likes to analyze (even though the HD650 exhibits more raw detail and does so in a more natural and musical way), which is fine, but, pulleaze, don't idealize them. Just IMO, but, but........
frown.gif

May 10, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #429 of 666
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I keep trying the K701 because people insist they're great. They're not great. They're plastic fragmenters of sound, across many amps, and not musical.

I think that they appeal to a certain type of Head-Fier, one who likes to analyze (even though the HD650 exhibits more raw detail and does so in a more natural and musical way), which is fine, but, pulleaze, don't idealize them. Just IMO, but, but........
frown.gif

Try a K501 sometime, you might be surprised!

May 11, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #430 of 666
Quote:

You guys do realize this is over-rated, not over-priced, right?

QFE AND QFT.

I had the SR225s and I have to say those HAVE to be the most overrated THING EVAH!!!
frown.gif

What a huge disappointment. The goo thing is that the letdown was so big that i didnt feel upgraditis for more than a whole year.

When i compared the SR225 to my HD555 they only seemed a little better, and they were priced more than twice as much. And not even better. They were more clear and upfront and CERTAIN strings sounded better on them. Other than that, they pretty much sucked and I even like QCx a lot more.

May 11, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #431 of 666
Sennheiser HD650 - Snoozathon. If I hear anyone else trying to say that they only sound dull because your equipment does, I'll nuke them from orbit
tongue.gif

Grado SR80 - Earned the title "Grato". Horrifically overpriced over here.

AKG K240S & K271S - Cheap sounding tat. Pity they arent actually THAT cheap.

May 12, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #432 of 666
this is all very subjective, but this would be my list.

- K501 (K701 betters it in pretty much all possible areas)
- Ed.9 (i was expecting a lot more at $1000+)
- HD580 (forget the mods. just buy the 600)
- DT880 (too bright)
- D5000 (modded or not, just not that impressed + poor build quality)
- All ATH headphones, except L3000 (poor fit + odd colorations or spikes)
- GS1000 (hollow sound)
- HHF1 ($800 or more for adding some wood and a cable?!?)
- Darth Beyer DT770 (same as above)
- K1000 (i want HP, not two speakers attached to the side of my head)
- R10 (just too damn expensive, although i still want one)
- HE90 (same as above)

and for headphones i think are not overrated.

- HD600/650 (why senn is so famous in the world of headphones)
- K701 (at around $220, an amazing deal for this polished HP)
- RS1 (super smooth sound + gorgeous mahogany wood)
- HP1000 (best grado ever made?)
- HE60 (baby size but not sound -- sooo good)
- O2 (the classic stat sound)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back