The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
Aug 4, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #1,321 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by f00fighters /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the best amp for $250 or under for the 325is? I was told the beresford for $250 is pretty good. How does it compare against the Fubar III? I don't want tubes at this time, as I do not wish to make the investment. But I will eventually. I don't care if it's portable or desk, I just want the best possible sound for this price range.

What I'm looking for is larger enhanced soundstage, and a bit more punchy bass, without any muddiness or drowning out of the rich grado detail.

My sources are my Mac Pro, which has an optical out/usb/firewire, and my iPhone 3GS w/ LOD cable w/ mini-stereo plug on the other end.

If I was you I would go for the iBasso D10. From your Mac the optical out to the D10 DAC is far better than the USB DAC in the Fubar III. The D10 can be used portable for your iPhone as well. D10/SR325 is a great combination too.

Aug 4, 2009 at 9:46 AM Post #1,322 of 3,640
Quote:

What I'm looking for is larger enhanced soundstage, and a bit more punchy bass, without any muddiness or drowning out of the rich grado detail.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rasmushorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I was you I would go for the iBasso D10. From your Mac the optical out to the D10 DAC is far better than the USB DAC in the Fubar III. The D10 can be used portable for your iPhone as well. D10/SR325 is a great combination too.

x2. the XO is a decent amp but the D10 does a better job in controlling the highs. i used the ipod as a source feeding the D10 with the 325i and it sounds very good; very little harshness. sounds excellent with the stock opamps. it has very nice soundstage and detail when using the dac portion.

the Beresford is also good but has a different sound signature being more analog like. soundstage is decent but could be wider. it sounds better with different opamps.

i think the D10 would go great with your Mac Pro plus you can also use it as a portable to go with your iPhone.
wink.gif

Aug 4, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #1,323 of 3,640
D10 it is. Now I just have to find someone selling a used one! I appreciate the advice you guys!

Aug 4, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #1,324 of 3,640
Quote:

D10 it is. Now I just have to find someone selling a used one! I appreciate the advice you guys!

You won't regret it.
beerchug.gif

Aug 4, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #1,325 of 3,640
I want 325i to be my next set.
Anyone experience these via a stock Darkvoice 336se?
I'd love to know your thoughts.
I will be using an extremely high def vinyl system to play rock and heavier on.

Aug 5, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #1,326 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They do pair nice with Headroom Ultra Micro DAC, don't they?
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah. After sneaking a listen straight from my Mac's headphone out, I realize how much these headphones benefit from compatible and decent amping.

Aug 5, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #1,327 of 3,640
I'd recommend damping the back of the driver with the SR-325i's. It made the treble less "edgy" and smoothed out the sound a little bit more. Bass also slightly tightened up.

Aug 5, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #1,328 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by rasmushorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You won't regret it.
beerchug.gif

I hope I don't regret it, mainly with your and semiaudiophile's recommendation, I ordered my d10 today. I'm hoping for a larger soundstage and improved punchiness to the bass-
smily_headphones1.gif
I ordered directly from ibasso. Now we play the waiting game.

Aug 5, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #1,330 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah. After sneaking a listen straight from my Mac's headphone out, I realize how much these headphones benefit from compatible and decent amping.

I went from a Total Bithead to the Micro Amp/Ultra Micro DAC and there was a tremendous difference when I switched. The stack has a very accurate, slightly warm sound that benefits the 325is. Try listening to industrial with this combo - these cans love textured synths and crunchy drums.

Aug 5, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #1,331 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by V3LOCIP3D3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
new to head-fi.org, but I just purchased a pair of 325is at a local retailer and when they came in the turned out to be a brand new pair of the 325i with gold cups. I'm not sure if I should return them or feel lucky . .

....anyway #2012 checking in!

Nothing at all wrong with the goldies. They're the cans that set off the whole "i" series. Enjoy them!

Aug 5, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #1,332 of 3,640
I was reading a review on the SR325is and for comfort, the reviewer stacked two bowl pads one on top of the other with apparently good effect. Anyone here tried that one?

Aug 7, 2009 at 12:16 PM Post #1,333 of 3,640
Quote:

I hope I don't regret it, mainly with your and semiaudiophile's recommendation, I ordered my d10 today. I'm hoping for a larger soundstage and improved punchiness to the bass-
smily_headphones1.gif
I ordered directly from ibasso. Now we play the waiting game.

the waiting game with iBasso isnt to bad, mine turned up really quick (uk).

do let us know what they are like though, i'm eyeing some 325i, woud be nice to know what they like with the D10

Aug 7, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #1,334 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was reading a review on the SR325is and for comfort, the reviewer stacked two bowl pads one on top of the other with apparently good effect. Anyone here tried that one?

Interesting...two bowls in the non-reversed alignment taped together? I reckon that'd increase soundstage.

In the meantime, anxiously waiting for my flat pads to arrive.
biggrin.gif

Aug 7, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #1,335 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azathoth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting...two bowls in the non-reversed alignment taped together? I reckon that'd increase soundstage.

In the meantime, anxiously waiting for my flat pads to arrive.
biggrin.gif

When I see the flatpads, it's then that I see that it's indeed intentional for the Grado's to sit right on your ear... as uncomfortable as it is. Sounds great though..... <sigh>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back