The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
Aug 8, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #1,336 of 3,640
Just out of curiosity, is TTVJ the only vendor that we can get flat pads from anymore? $35 is a bit steep for a fella in Canada, but I'd love to try these out with my 325is's. Also, are flats seriously better than reverse quarter-mod'd Senn HD 414 pads? Pretty happy with how those sound...

Aug 8, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #1,338 of 3,640
IMO, bowls rule for maximum detail. I have flats and comfies. I like and use all 3 pads depending on the type of music.

Even though the comfies don't deliver the best SQ, I'm often forced to use them after a couple hours if I want to continue with a Grado fest. Flats do give more bass while sacrificing open sparkly goodness...taping the bowls is a great tweak for more bass.

I've never tried the 414's.

Aug 8, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #1,340 of 3,640
Here is my "two cents" for this thread...
I'm an audiophile of over 40 years and have listened to and owned many, many devices both mid-fi and highend. The 325is I just aquired is way beyond just bright, it is downright grating, annoying, tizzy and way colored. Details? Not too my ears, most instruments, particularly acoustic guitar take on a steely sound more like madolins than a woody, warm, resonant sound. Matching this phone with the iBasso D10 is a big mistake, expecially with USB. The D10, to my ears, is bright with the stock op amps. The optical input is much better. Two bright devices do not make a synergistic combination.

Aug 8, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #1,341 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by amham /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is my "two cents" for this thread...
I'm an audiophile of over 40 years and have listened to and owned many, many devices both mid-fi and highend. The 325is I just aquired is way beyond just bright, it is downright grating, annoying, tizzy and way colored. Details? Not too my ears, most instruments, particularly acoustic guitar take on a steely sound more like madolins than a woody, warm, resonant sound. Matching this phone with the iBasso D10 is a big mistake, expecially with USB. The D10, to my ears, is bright with the stock op amps. The optical input is much better. Two bright devices do not make a synergistic combination.

well the 325i's aren't for everyone; you either love em or hate em. how long did you have yours? did you burn them in?

colored maybe...i find that it does acoustic steel string accurately and perfectly.

i disagree about the D10/325i combo, i find that they go very well together depending on configuration. definitely use optical when you can instead of USB. also try resampling with asio or similar to relieve some of the harshness.

the D10 is a very detailed/transparent dac. i don't have a problem with it at all being fed through my laptop.

Aug 8, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #1,342 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well the 325i's aren't for everyone; you either love em or hate em. how long did you have yours? did you burn them in?

colored maybe...i find that it does acoustic steel string accurately and perfectly.

i disagree about the D10/325i combo, i find that they go very well together depending on configuration. definitely use optical when you can instead of USB. also try resampling with asio or similar to relieve some of the harshness.

the D10 is a very detailed/transparent dac. i don't have a problem with it at all being fed through my laptop.

Well, that's what makes horse races....

I'm not one who is a believer in electronic "burning in". Much of the reported improvements are due to psycho-acoustinc suggestion from this board and impressionable persons with little experience. However, in the case of a mechanical device such as speakers or heaphones I will grant you some streching, settling, seating, etc. will take place. But the overall tone of a device will not radically change...it is what it is.

Aug 8, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #1,343 of 3,640
Quote:

Well, that's what makes horse races....

i don't get it...

Quote:

But the overall tone of a device will not radically change...it is what it is.

sounds like you need a new headphone.

Aug 8, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #1,344 of 3,640
...differences of opinions are what the horse race is all about...you choose your horse and place your bet...

Yes, these are going back for maybe a Denon D7000, probably more to my liking.

BTW, I did not go into the comfort thing...what was in Joe's mind to choose these hard, irritating cups. More for finishing wood or other abrasive tasks!

Aug 8, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #1,345 of 3,640
Quote:

BTW, I did not go into the comfort thing...what was in Joe's mind to choose these hard, irritating cups. More for finishing wood or other abrasive tasks!

The grado bowls are some of the most acoustically inert/invisible you can get, I think that is what was on his mind.

Aug 8, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #1,346 of 3,640
well...if you like the Grado house sound, then maybe try some RS1's. they are colored too but they have that "woody, warm, resonant sound".

if not, maybe try some HD650's. they are the complete opposite of the 325i.

Aug 8, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #1,347 of 3,640
Yes, I own 650's, maybe the root of my problem with the 325's. I also own 60's, I was hoping that the 325's would be an improvement, more of the SR60 sound in spades. I also own Koss ESP950's similar in sound to the 325 and way too bright for me also. To round out the collection are Sure 530's, great sounding IEM but not for long term listening, too uncomfortable. My Benchmark DAC and LD IVSE helps the 325's but not enough for me to keep em. Throw in a DacMagic and D10 and I think I have the tools to try and tame the 325's...but to no avail for me.

Aug 8, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #1,348 of 3,640
My 325i's are sounding silky smoooth,from my eight year old Naim CD5,through a humble LD1+ .They have passed the magic 50 hrs
wink_face.gif
It could be the only advantage of having 64 year old ears.. I dont even notice they are heavy untill i use the MS-1's for a bit,and i have to go back to the 80's to get the full benefit of a Frank Zappa guitar solo. The more i read this forum ,the more i realise how different everyones ears really are...So buying headphones is a lot of potluck. If i want to buy a new CDP,a nice man comes to my house and plugs it in and says,give me a ring next week and let me know if you like it.This must explain why we all have more phones than we need.
PS If it sounds to harsh,turn it down one notch,works for me. Have Fun...

Aug 8, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #1,349 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallace /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PS If it sounds to harsh,turn it down one notch,works for me. Have Fun...

x2, one thing amongst others I really appreciate about my SR325i is that I listen with a low volume and enjoy it a lot. You don't need the volume turned up to get the energy and you have details...
As for the comfort I have no problems - maybe my head is a bit strange. When I wear my ATH M50 I really feel that I am wearing a headphone, which is not the case with the Grados...

Aug 8, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #1,350 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by maddin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2, one thing amongst others I really appreciate about my SR325i is that I listen with a low volume and enjoy it a lot. You don't need the volume turned up to get the energy and you have details...

x3 Many folks who have problems with the 325i's harshness may just like to listen really, really loud. I've always contended that though you can do really loud with them they tend to sound better at medium to low volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back