The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
Aug 8, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #1,351 of 3,640
Also just joined the 325is. I know 325is are not known to be good with watching movies but occasionally I don watch movies with them and it tends to sparkle (crackingly sound) a lot with highs. Will this be reduce with a good amp? Since I am a total noob at this does amping just make the sound louder or does it improve the sound too?

Aug 8, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #1,353 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by snakeeater69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What would be a good amp for under $200 that would be a good match for the 325is. I have no way of testing it so I'll take you guy's word for it.

"HiFiMAN EF1/2" or "Cute BEYOND" sound good with Grado phones. I could recommend more expensive ones but I'll refrain from doing so..

Aug 8, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #1,354 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by amham /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I own 650's, maybe the root of my problem with the 325's.

I owned the 650's prior to getting the 325is'. I never had a problem with the sound... only the comfort. From the testimonies I'm hearing, it may well have a lot to do with the amp being used to driver these Grado's. I never thought of volume, but this could well have something to do with it. I personally listen to medium to low volume since I wish to preserve the hearing. I'm really pleased with how articulate the 325is' are. Very clear highs and mids. The 650's do sound dark after listening to the Grados. I may well sell the Senn's since I much prefer the Grado sound.

Aug 9, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #1,355 of 3,640
I love both HD 650 & 325i. I do use different amps and have my favorites for each. I also agree that if listening at more than medium, the 325i can become fatiguing very quickly. I can also agree that they are colored, no question.

What I am totally convinced of is that mine did change after 75 ~ 100 hours...a guess because I didn't do much intentional burn-in and never kept track. Mine mellowed a bit for sure.

Aug 9, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #1,356 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd recommend damping the back of the driver with the SR-325i's. It made the treble less "edgy" and smoothed out the sound a little bit more. Bass also slightly tightened up.

Going to do this mod. Does it really work? I am off to get some blu tac from home depot.

So for the Sen HD414 pad switch thing didn't work out to well. It doesn't sound as good as the stock bowls.

Aug 10, 2009 at 10:35 AM Post #1,357 of 3,640
Finally did the blu tac damping mod and also removed the 325 button. Worked really well and there is indeed improvement with the sound. It drastically reduce the irritating edgy highs will when using it to watch movies. I am really liking my 325is now.
L3000.gif

Aug 10, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #1,358 of 3,640
Did you do the mods together or in sequence to see the difference each made.

I had simply put a finger over a portion of the grills on either side and couldn't hear a difference. It was then I questioned how much the buttons being on the grill significantly changed the sound.

As to the blu tac mod. It sounds scary!! :/

Aug 10, 2009 at 11:33 AM Post #1,359 of 3,640
I think it was the blu tac that helped with the sound. The 325 button removing is just more of an ecstatic mod. I hated how the 325is look with the button. F'ing glue under the button was a pain to remove though. Both mod requires opening up the cups. Just use a hair drying and not point it directly and the driver and you should be safe. I was scared of doing this mod too until I actually did and it was as bad as it seemed.

Aug 14, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #1,360 of 3,640
After a couple weeks of listening I'll give an update:

The comfort is a lot better now. It just took some getting accustomed to. I can now concentrate on the sound which continues to be stunning. These phones can be quite revealing with some recordings. At times with one song on a particular CD and with a particular voice, you'll hear sibilance. On another CD, things will become a tad harsh. However, in the overwhelming main, I'm very pleased with these cans as my default pair of cans.

I've since ordered an RS2i. Should be interesting to hear how those sound and which of these two will be used at work as opposed to home. Here's a pic of my home rig:

SR325is-2.jpg

Sounds fabulous ... certainly quite a lot better than from an iPod port. I actually don't particularly like them from an iPod. The base sounds a tad anaemic and the highs definitely brighter. The music generally sounds less energetic and with less separation.

I still have my Fubar III, my first headphone amp/dac purchase. The sound signature of the Fubar III is very similar to the HeadRoom amps, only with less detail. I'm thinking that a Cute Beyond would pair very well with these Grado's. I've never tried tube amp'ing and am not particularly inclined to do so.

There was mention about the cables of the 325is being thicker than the 325i. When I roll the portion of cable that comes from the driver enclosures, you can easily feel the fine wire loosely in an oversized tube enclosure. The cable coming from the Y connector and to the terminated plug is thick and a lot more firm. I have a sneaky suspicion that it's indeed more an aesthetic change than anything. If I knew that making the cable thicker would have customers going, then I'd do it for sure. Anything to improve the sales and renew interest in the 'newer' model.
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 14, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #1,362 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There was mention about the cables of the 325is being thicker than the 325i. When I roll the portion of cable that comes from the driver enclosures, you can easily feel the fine wire loosely in an oversized tube enclosure. The cable coming from the Y connector and to the terminated plug is thick and a lot more firm. I have a sneaky suspicion that it's indeed more an aesthetic change than anything. If I knew that making the cable thicker would have customers going, then I'd do it for sure. Anything to improve the sales and renew interest in the 'newer' model.
evil_smiley.gif

There was some discussion a few months back that seemed to support that the cable is thicker so that the wiring can move freely inside. In the event that the cable as a whole started to twist, you would notice this with the outer sheath before any damage was done to the wire at the center. I'm unsure how effective this is, but Grados certainly do have a habit of twisting if you are not careful and if the sheath and the wiring were "as one," if you twisted one, you'd be twisting the other.

My 325is's are now well beyond 100 hrs burned-in, and I have noticed that they have mellowed considerably. Actually, using my Little Dot 1+ amp with aftermarket tubes, they have considerably more upfront punch (expected) and bass depth (unexpected) than my Shure SRH-840's. Awesome stuff... can't wait to get out of the lab and listen to them again tonight!
beerchug.gif

Aug 14, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #1,363 of 3,640
I have to thank Rasmushorn & Semiaudiophile for recommending the d10 for the 325is. At first I was frustrated with it- but a simple opamp swap with the one from the kit that it comes with- my opinion changed immediately. With the stock opamps, I thought the treble was too low. Now I am so amazed with the sound, it has put a smile on my face with virtually every track I listen to. Again, I can't thank you guys enough.

Aug 14, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #1,364 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by f00fighters /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to thank Rasmushorn & Semiaudiophile for recommending the d10 for the 325is. At first I was frustrated with it- but a simple opamp swap with the one from the kit that it comes with- my opinion changed immediately. With the stock opamps, I thought the treble was too low. Now I am so amazed with the sound, it has put a smile on my face with virtually every track I listen to. Again, I can't thank you guys enough.

no problem. glad to hear that you are enjoying it. i absolutely love mine, it's a little beast.
beerchug.gif

Aug 14, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #1,365 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's a pic of my home rig:

I SEE BOSE!!!!!! Not that it is a bad thing
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back