The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
Feb 23, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #1,051 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike6502 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, I'm not sure they are saying that.

Here's a comparison of Grado's description of the 325i and 325is:

BLUE is text that is the same. RED is new text in the 325is description. Note that they removed some text that was in the 325i description, but I don't show that here for simplicity and relevance.

What does the i stand for in the new SR325is from Grado? Improved, that’s what! Yes, Grado has taken one of the world’s most acclaimed headphones and taken it a few steps further. The new SR325is has an upgraded driver and cable design. The way the SR325is’ driver, cable and metal housing move air and react to sound vibrations are now less affected by transient distortions. With the new 8 conductor cable design you will notice improved control and stability of the upper and lower range of the frequency spectrum with both better supporting Grado’s world renowned midrange. The SR325is will produce a sound that is pure Grado, warm harmonic color, rich full bodied vocals, excellent dynamics and an ultra smooth top end. Listen and Enjoy!

You can see how little they've altered the description, and it appears that they have just inserted references to the new cable in the 325is. Like the 325i description, they may be comparing against the original 325. For all we know, the only difference is the cable and color.

What about the part that says "upgraded driver"? The 325i was upgrade driver over 325, and now the 325is is upgrades as well?

Feb 24, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #1,052 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the part that says "upgraded driver"? The 325i was upgrade driver over 325, and now the 325is is upgrades as well?

What I was trying to show is that the 325i description was nearly identical word-for-word to the new 325is description. Like the new description, it read: Quote:

The new SR325i has an upgraded driver design.

In the old description they even said: Quote:

With the 325i you will notice improved control and stability of the upper and lower range of the frequency spectrum with both better supporting Grado’s world renowned midrange.

Now they say the exact same thing, except they chalk it up to the "new 8 conductor cable design."

What can we conclude from this? Two things:
  1. The 325is has a new cable.
  2. The Grado webpage administrator is lazy.
That's all, and that's my point. It is not clear whether they intended the new description to be read as a comparison to the 325i or the 325. More likely, they happily left it ambiguous. This is marketing, after all. They wouldn't mind if people read it as though they've updated the driver over the 325i, even if that's not true. But it's not even clear that they gave this any thought; all we know is that they were lazy.

Feb 24, 2009 at 11:22 AM Post #1,054 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike6502 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I was trying to show is that the 325i description was nearly identical word-for-word to the new 325is description. Like the new description, it read:
In the old description they even said: Now they say the exact same thing, except they chalk it up to the "new 8 conductor cable design."

What can we conclude from this? Two things:
  1. The 325is has a new cable.
  2. The Grado webpage administrator is lazy.
That's all, and that's my point. It is not clear whether they intended the new description to be read as a comparison to the 325i or the 325. More likely, they happily left it ambiguous. This is marketing, after all. They wouldn't mind if people read it as though they've updated the driver over the 325i, even if that's not true. But it's not even clear that they gave this any thought; all we know is that they were lazy.

And if Grado REALLY mean that all the new models are new - then why do they advertise on their website that the i-models all have the same awards and recommendations as the old models?

Either this is because of a lazy webmaster or the models aren't really that new at all...

Feb 24, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #1,055 of 3,640
According to Jorge at headroom, who spoke with John Grado about the updates:
Quote:

All models have re-configured the diaphragms.

This can be referenced here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f77/ne...5/#post5457532

This confirms (in my mind) the fact that the 325is has a different driver than the 325i (as the Grado webpage also indicates).

Feb 27, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #1,058 of 3,640
I wonder if they stopped at 10,000... It would be interesting to know if someone has #10000

Feb 27, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #1,062 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jon G., is that towel there to increase comfort? Try bending the headband, it's very easy to do if you remove the headband from the plastic blocs and mold it in your hands.

That sock (
wink.gif
) is there so that they sit better on my ears. Without the sock the cups rest too much on the top of my ears and it irritates them, but the sock remedies that.

I suppose, then, that it is for comfort, but not for clamping force.

Mar 2, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #1,065 of 3,640
Hi just joined up. I have #381
smily_headphones1.gif

I am burning them in at the moment and they are sounding sweet although a little bass light. I have a Cyrus CD6 connected to a Cyrus 8 using a chord company interconnect. Does the bass weight improve or is the amp headphone socket underpowered for these headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back