The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
Feb 3, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #3,481 of 3,640
  FWIW, I replaced the L-cushions of my SR325iS with TTVJ flat pads, and noticed a measurable improvement in the sound.

I've done this before and also noticed a difference in sound with the bass/thicker mid-range…but at the cost of losing the space/detail/higher frequencie's. In the end I preferred the (L) cushions.
What measurable improvements have you noticed?

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #3,482 of 3,640
Having tried S, L, inverted L and G-cushes I also agree that the SR-325is totally need the L-cushes, preferably tape-modded with a sturdy tape. I'm also gonna try what 7keys did and see how it affects these Grados. I'm thinking going with a high density leather, turn the smooth side in and call it a day after a few seams. Hopefully it'll be less painful than the tape I'm currently using. Over time, the pad compresses at the upper portion, and the tape starts scraping my ears.

Feb 3, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #3,483 of 3,640
When I did the mod I only applied the tape as "natural" as possible - that is, I won't apply the tape too tight and let it create any pressure on the pads at all. However I do suppose that the tape will scratch my ears once the pads inevitably start disintegrating

Feb 4, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #3,484 of 3,640
  When I did the mod I only applied the tape as "natural" as possible - that is, I won't apply the tape too tight and let it create any pressure on the pads at all. However I do suppose that the tape will scratch my ears once the pads inevitably start disintegrating

I applied a slight pressure on the pads without deforming them, and I'm really happy about the results. The weight of these headphones will eventually squeeze the pads slightly together, so I wanted to prevent that for as long as possible.

Feb 6, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #3,485 of 3,640
Among the S-cushs and L-cushs Grado the 325is is the heaviest. In fact I think it's only (literally) outweighted by the PS1k - which is REALLY heavy. Yet the PS1k use G-cushs and is actually the 2nd-most-comfortable (behind the GS1k) Grados. As always, you should try bending out the headband of the 325 a bit, or try putting the cans around something equalling your head in length. I can imagine how painful it would be, suffering from the scratching tapes PLUS the orignal clamp force of Grados...

Feb 6, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #3,486 of 3,640
  Having tried S, L, inverted L and G-cushes I also agree that the SR-325is totally need the L-cushes, preferably tape-modded with a sturdy tape. I'm also gonna try what 7keys did and see how it affects these Grados. I'm thinking going with a high density leather, turn the smooth side in and call it a day after a few seams. Hopefully it'll be less painful than the tape I'm currently using. Over time, the pad compresses at the upper portion, and the tape starts scraping my ears.

Since you're in Norway and have no access to EarZonk earpads, I have a second pair of their 'long life leatherette' earpads that are made for Grado. If you send me a PM with your address, we can work out a deal.

Mar 25, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #3,487 of 3,640
Hi everyone, as a pround owner of the Grado sr325i I have like you the obsession of changing pads and try everything possible because the L cush alone was quite painfull for my big ears...one day I fall on some old sony or koss headphones that have open (false) leather pads and fit nicely UPON the L cush and MIRACLE happen. Confort is great and sound open up, I really think that for some people the L cush alone can kill the potential of the marvelous sound of this headphones. Before my hasardous mod the sound was harsh and metalic, the driver scring was pressing on my ears too...in fact, I prefer my Allessandro ms1 before I find the perfect fit for my ears. So take a look at your old headphones pads because treasures can be nearer than you think, I did not stick them on but surely would one day...with the allessandro I did stick the old sony mdr v150 pads on ring-cut stock pad and find it way more confortable and a little more bassy and detailed...problem is that stick something on this did not really last long.

Open pad that I put uppon L cush kind of look like this but are surely more confortable: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Headphone-Ear-Pad-Cup-Earpad-for-Sony-MDR-V500DJ-V500-MDR-V700DJ-V700-DJ/807269_676559735.html

Right now, I listen to Kronos quartet last album on my Ibasso dx90 with the new duo ring-cut pad plus Open pad and it sound VERY nice!! Little less spaciousness but more energy in the sound.

So much fun to be able to customize sound any way you want...perhaps I will try more serious mods one day for adding a little more punch in the bass. Tape mode for L cushion did not work enough for me tough.

ps: Sorry for my bad english. Non native langage.

May 11, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #3,489 of 3,640
$145 for a new 325is.....what a great deal....congrats

May 11, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #3,490 of 3,640
  Just picked up a new 325is for $200NZ ($145US)... bit of a steal so I had to! Interested to compare to my woodied MS2e.

Jelly, although I already own a pair.
regular_smile .gif

May 14, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #3,492 of 3,640
  Just got them in, not harsh/too bright at all, loving them so far. Brilliant with metal as expected. What a great deal :)

Congrats. Like I always say, it's all about synergy, so if your sound system has a soft treble, the SR325i will simply balance things out.

May 18, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #3,494 of 3,640
Comparing 325is to MS2e I'd swear I'm listening to the reverse after how I've heard MS2e is smooth and 325is is extra bright. I'm throwing some quite trebly metal at it and it still sounds smooth and refined, not piercing in the slightest. MS2e actually feels a bit more fatiguing.

These are definitely the best grado's for metal I've owned.

May 21, 2015 at 6:26 AM Post #3,495 of 3,640
Hi guys, how can i identify exactly this 325 grados? are they 325, 325i, 325 is or 325e?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzV5MKVbQE4qbUIydkNKZjh4cnc&authuser=0
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzV5MKVbQE4qbUtFNGJRVG5TblU&authuser=0

thanks for any help!

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back