The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
Jan 16, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #3,466 of 3,640

Do you still keep all of these? I owned an modded Alessandro MS Pro too, and I think the 325is still stand out from the Pro and the 325e.

Yes, I still have all of them. Might need to see a psychologist because I don't arrive to sell a headphone I bought .... The MS Pro is more neutral and for some recordings I like this HP a lot. The HF-1 is the best Grado I ever bought in terms of what you get for your money. They should get a bit more time... And I still try to like the PS500 more. Working hard on it... not sure what will happen to the SR325e, maybe I start to talk about them with my psychologist...

Jan 16, 2015 at 4:36 AM Post #3,468 of 3,640
Yes, I still have all of them. Might need to see a psychologist because I don't arrive to sell a headphone I bought .... The MS Pro is more neutral and for some recordings I like this HP a lot. The HF-1 is the best Grado I ever bought in terms of what you get for your money. They should get a bit more time... And I still try to like the PS500 more. Working hard on it... not sure what will happen to the SR325e, maybe I start to talk about them with my psychologist...

I think the only headphone I'm emotionally attached to is my ZennJazzGrado, because it's the first headphone I built.

I'm also enjoying an older MS-1 (the small one, like the old SR80) that has incredible sound and I will turn that in an MS-1000 (with distancers and G-cushions).

And I'll probably keep my Stax, because I got it cheap and I can't replace that SQ for so little money.

Jan 16, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #3,469 of 3,640
I think the only headphone I'm emotionally attached to is my ZennJazzGrado, because it's the first headphone I built.

I'm also enjoying an older MS-1 (the small one, like the old SR80) that has incredible sound and I will turn that in an MS-1000 (with distancers and G-cushions).

And I'll probably keep my Stax, because I got it cheap and I can't replace that SQ for so little money.

Please try modding the MS1. I did have the MS Ultimate and liked it much much more than the original MS Pro. If the MS1000 is fine I will find myself a MS1 and mod it too. Gf hates Grado comfort, but she always got mad when I want to buy any cans worth more than $200, even if it's for her!

Jan 16, 2015 at 6:33 AM Post #3,470 of 3,640
Please try modding the MS1. I did have the MS Ultimate and liked it much much more than the original MS Pro. If the MS1000 is fine I will find myself a MS1 and mod it too. Gf hates Grado comfort, but she always got mad when I want to buy any cans worth more than $200, even if it's for her!

I bought distancers by ApatN and I'll get G-cushions (both Grado and Earzonk) next week, so expect a report in the near future.

Jan 16, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #3,471 of 3,640
  To make matters worse our taste sometimes revert back to the past and we miss the cans that we sold...

This is why I never sold any of my HP's…with the exception of the first 2 pairs of PS1K's that I had because they didn't sound right…but the 3rd pair which I bought NOS sound amazing, and won't be going anywhere!

Jan 16, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #3,473 of 3,640
  Ehr is it because of that little thing called "Grado quality control"....

Yes, I know, thats why I tried 3 pairs, and the 3rd pair were "right"…well worth the effort to get the "right" pair though.
The 3rd pair I bought (NOS/NIB-$1210.00) when the new (e) series came out sound superior to the 2 previous pairs I owned…wouldn't part with them for anything! And the more burn-in they get, the better they sound, for sure, they just keep on opening up more and more.

Jan 17, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #3,474 of 3,640

A "Grado" without Grado drivers, the very essence of the Grado sound?  Sheer blasphemy.  Nevertheless, that looks like a lot of fun.
I think most of us develop emotional attachments to our personal DIY projects.

Jan 18, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #3,475 of 3,640

A "Grado" without Grado drivers, the very essence of the Grado sound?  Sheer blasphemy.  Nevertheless, that looks like a lot of fun.
I think most of us develop emotional attachments to our personal DIY projects.

The senngrado has to be heard to be believed.  Its a great mod. don't let the Sennheiser name fool you.  The PX100II driver is fast, detailed and very responsive to transients.   Its a very energetic and "fun" signature.   IMHO the SG is FAR closer to a Grado than a Sennheiser in this one regard.   Imagine a warm-ish, bass boosted signature thats fast and highly responsive and very detail revealing.  Its performance FAR outweighs the sum of its parts in my build.

Mine is the simplest of builds... Mines just an SR60i with a PX100II driver transplant.  I blu-tacked the driver magnet, fleece lined the inner earcup walls, and I use craft foam to suspend the PX driver in the SR60i earcup.  My attempt is to reduce earcup plastic resonance and isolate the driver better from the plastic acoustics.  The only thing I have left is to remove the SR60 logo button and re-perf the outer cup...  which I may not do as I LOVE the look of the SR60i.

Cheers and happy listening!!!

Jan 18, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #3,476 of 3,640
The senngrado has to be heard to be believed.  Its a great mod. don't let the Sennheiser name fool you.  The PX100II driver is fast, detailed and very responsive to transients.   Its a very energetic and "fun" signature.   IMHO the SG is FAR closer to a Grado than a Sennheiser in this one regard.   Imagine a warm-ish, bass boosted signature thats fast and highly responsive and very detail revealing.  Its performance FAR outweighs the sum of its parts in my build.

Mine is the simplest of builds... Mines just an SR60i with a PX100II driver transplant.  I blu-tacked the driver magnet, fleece lined the inner earcup walls, and I use craft foam to suspend the PX driver in the SR60i earcup.  My attempt is to reduce earcup plastic resonance and isolate the driver better from the plastic acoustics.  The only thing I have left is to remove the SR60 logo button and re-perf the outer cup...  which I may not do as I LOVE the look of the SR60i.

Cheers and happy listening!!!

Now imagine yours, but clamped firmly in handcrafted khaya mahogany cups, cable replaced by a four-feet handcrafted cable terminating in a Swichcraft plug, and a leather headband....

Feb 2, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #3,477 of 3,640
Hey guys!

I was considering having a local woodturner make me pair of inner sleeves/cups for my SR-325is. Then I started thinking if I should just have him make an inner sleeve that fits inside the inner plastic cup and the outer alu cups. It would sorta be like a filler that provides woodied inner walls all the way down to the driver. It would certainly cause me less work and less risk of damage, but could I achieve better sound by replacing the entire inner sleeve with wood? In this regard I'm especially thinking about how the driver will resonate in full wooden sleeves compared to the ABS ones covered with a thin layer of wood.

Feb 2, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #3,478 of 3,640
  Hey guys!

I was considering having a local woodturner make me pair of inner sleeves/cups for my SR-325is. Then I started thinking if I should just have him make an inner sleeve that fits inside the inner plastic cup and the outer alu cups. It would sorta be like a filler that provides woodied inner walls all the way down to the driver. It would certainly cause me less work and less risk of damage, but could I achieve better sound by replacing the entire inner sleeve with wood? In this regard I'm especially thinking about how the driver will resonate in full wooden sleeves compared to the ABS ones covered with a thin layer of wood.

Adding it to existing materials will just reduce cup volume and leave you with a very rolled-off sound, most likely.  Replace the ABS sleeve and/or metal cups instead altogether.

Feb 2, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #3,479 of 3,640

Adding it to existing materials will just reduce cup volume and leave you with a very rolled-off sound, most likely.  Replace the ABS sleeve and/or metal cups instead altogether.

Yeah that's a detail I actually forgot to mention. I did some calculations, and figured that my (originally planned) replacement wooden sleeve would have to be 35-36mm high to get the same volume as my existing SR-325is (with the plastic rings removed). I quite like it as it is right now, so I spent some extra effort calculating it close to the original specs (with the rings removed). I guess if I have to make it deeper, the plastic sleeves might not sit properly inside the alu cups, so there my question really answered itself. Thanks for the help man :D

I'll throw out another question for ya'll: What type of wood would you guys propose for my inner sleeves? I got hold of some ashwood and oak that I might use. I'm guessing the oak will be brittle tho.

Feb 3, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #3,480 of 3,640
FWIW, I replaced the L-cushions of my SR325iS with TTVJ flat pads, and noticed a measurable improvement in the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back