The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
Dec 2, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #3,436 of 3,640
  I am considering the Schiit Modi. I am just not sure if it offers a noticable improvement over the macbook

The MacBook has a pretty good internal DAC, but I can hear a difference between listening to iTunes through the headphone port, or through USB > FiiO external dac/amp.

Dec 2, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #3,437 of 3,640
Try the jds o2. Considering their popularity I think you can get an used pair easily. I haven't tried the Schitt so I can't really offer any opinion, but the o2 has made day-and-night different on anything I have, from headphones to speakers system

Dec 2, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #3,438 of 3,640
Try the jds o2. Considering their popularity I think you can get an used pair easily. I haven't tried the Schitt so I can't really offer any opinion, but the o2 has made day-and-night different on anything I have, from headphones to speakers system

Is the o2 a dac+amp? If so, how do I bypass the amp?

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #3,439 of 3,640

Is the o2 a dac+amp? If so, how do I bypass the amp?

If you need only the DAC, You can just get the ODAC. It's around $150. But O2+ODAC is a good combination for a reference sound (transparent) and should have no problems driving all headphones in your list (provided you have the right gain options).

But I can see you are into tubes. So you may not like the transparency the ODAC (and/or) brings.

Dec 2, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #3,440 of 3,640
An equally competent alternative for portable use is the iFi nano iDSD ($200).

Dec 3, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #3,441 of 3,640
Sorry I meant the ODAC. When I plug the Little Dot I+ into my ODAC the sound is still very smooth and warm. I have not tried any tube DAC except for the Aune T1, but IMO it might be an overkill to own both a tube DAC and a tube amp.

Dec 3, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #3,442 of 3,640
I prefer a DAC that is not USB powered. What are my options then? SHould that even be a concern?

Dec 3, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #3,443 of 3,640
No love in here for the iFi nano iDSD? It's an integrated DAC + amp. 1.65Vrms. With my fetish interchangeable digital filter (2 options--standard/linear and minimum phase filters). Minimum Phase filter=best digital filter IMO. I'm sure you will like the iFi house sound quality. I did. And this is portable, btw, but doesn't sound like the stereotypes on portables (vs desktops).

Dec 3, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #3,445 of 3,640
Dec 3, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #3,447 of 3,640

If properly designed and implemented it should not be a problem. It has been well documented. ODAC is a very good example.

I agree on rage3324's concerns.

Haven't heard the ODAC, but I believe that there must be galvanic-isolation of the USB power signal. The difference is audible, at least for me. The sound becomes more "digitally" to me.

The iFi micro iDSD has this; so even if you power from USB using it, the "unwanteds" from electricity are filtered/not there anymore. Plus you can use the micro using just the battery as power source, which in this case the issue here becomes a non-issue. This is why I highly recommend the iFi nano iDSD as its purely battery powered, plus it is not expensive.

No love for iFi nano or micro iDSD's in here?

Cheers.

Dec 3, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #3,448 of 3,640
  I agree on rage3324's concerns.

Haven't heard the ODAC, but I believe that there must be galvanic-isolation of the USB power signal. The difference is audible, at least for me. The sound becomes more "digitally" to me.

The iFi micro iDSD has this; so even if you power from USB using it, the "unwanteds" from electricity are filtered/not there anymore. Plus you can use the micro using just the battery as power source, which in this case the issue here becomes a non-issue. This is why I highly recommend the iFi nano iDSD as its purely battery powered, plus it is not expensive.

No love for iFi nano or micro iDSD's in here?

Cheers

Like I mentioned, it's about implementation. I did a quick comparison of O2+ODAC with the Centrance Hifi-M8. Not ABX type yet, but I used a switch box to quickly switch between M8 and ODAC. Level-matched using my Beyer T1. Other that the click of the switch I can't hear any auduble difference. It just sound like listening to exactly the same source.

I haven't seen anyone yet mentioned the M8 sounded digital. 

Dec 4, 2014 at 4:26 AM Post #3,449 of 3,640
Like I mentioned, it's about implementation. I did a quick comparison of O2+ODAC with the Centrance Hifi-M8. Not ABX type yet, but I used a switch box to quickly switch between M8 and ODAC. Level-matched using my Beyer T1. Other that the click of the switch I can't hear any auduble difference. It just sound like listening to exactly the same source.

I haven't seen anyone yet mentioned the M8 sounded digital. 
To my ears, all DACs with decent implementation sound the same with the same digital filter.

Dec 6, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #3,450 of 3,640
Before I ordered the leatherette ear pads from U.S I bought some from China on eBay for the princely sum of £1.66, they arrived yesterday so went about fitting them, bearing in mind they were not intended for Grado's, in fact I don't know what phones they were meant for. I kept the foam pads in place and stretched the faux leather pads over them. They have a two layer material that covers the drivers and sounded very muffled so I cut holes in them and now they sound excellent with deep bass and nice treble. When my 325's were standard and I cupped my hands over the grilles the bass disapeared and they sounded very thin and strange, since changing to the wood shells this no longer happens. Is this usual?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back