The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
Jan 14, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #3,452 of 3,640
When my 325's were standard and I cupped my hands over the grilles the bass disapeared and they sounded very thin and strange, since changing to the wood shells this no longer happens. Is this usual?

No, I'm afraid you broke them. I give you ten dollars for them...
wink.gif

Jan 14, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #3,453 of 3,640

When my 325's were standard and I cupped my hands over the grilles the bass disapeared and they sounded very thin and strange, since changing to the wood shells this no longer happens. Is this usual?

No, I'm afraid you broke them. I give you ten dollars for them...
wink.gif

LOL!

Jan 15, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #3,454 of 3,640
  Had to let them go:wink:...on the hunt for PS500, RS1i

The PS500 is calling me too but I am resisting for now. I started using my 325i with a warm sounding Yamaha receiver because I imagine that a PS500 might sound something like that combo. I am well aware that that will treat the symptoms but will not be the cure.

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #3,455 of 3,640
The SR325i was the second Grado I bought (after the SR80). They are still the ones that get most of the headtime of my Grados. In the meantime I bought the PS500, an Alessandro Pro (modified with distancer and G-cush), an HF-1, and a SR325e. But the SR325i does it for my ears. Such a clarity, beautiful mids and a nice punchy bass. OK the bass does not go too deep but you can't have it all... so, before you sell your SR325i to upgrade, just listen to the HP you desire and see if it is really what you like.

Jan 15, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #3,456 of 3,640
  The SR325i was the second Grado I bought (after the SR80). They are still the ones that get most of the headtime of my Grados. In the meantime I bought the PS500, an Alessandro Pro (modified with distancer and G-cush), an HF-1, and a SR325e. But the SR325i does it for my ears. Such a clarity, beautiful mids and a nice punchy bass. OK the bass does not go too deep but you can't have it all... so, before you sell your SR325i to upgrade, just listen to the HP you desire and see if it is really what you like.

325i's mids are the best I've ever had. The bass and trebs are great for Metal, too.

Do you still keep all of these? I owned an modded Alessandro MS Pro too, and I think the 325is still stand out from the Pro and the 325e.

Jan 15, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #3,458 of 3,640
  Would never sell my 325is's…their a great HP.

That's what I thought. Then I got the RS1i and the 325i got put away. I just sold them a couple weeks ago and bought the HE-400 which is another great headphone. I was sad to see the goldies go though. I may get another pair someday but who knows. The RS1i does everything just right as far as Grados are concerned.

Jan 15, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #3,459 of 3,640
  That's what I thought. Then I got the RS1i and the 325i got put away. I just sold them a couple weeks ago and bought the HE-400 which is another great headphone. I was sad to see the goldies go though. I may get another pair someday but who knows. The RS1i does everything just right as far as Grados are concerned.

I have both the RS1i/325is and had the HE-400i, and thought the 325is was a much better HP for my tastes. I would never sell either.
smile.gif

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #3,460 of 3,640
I think the sound sig of the 325is is different enough from the RS1i (which is almost identical, but better than an unmodded MSPro) to justify owning both. If you have a few hundreds to spare and don't know what to do, even owning both the 325is and the 325e is reasonable in term of sound.

Also the goldies (which is 325i - no 's') sound different from the 325is. The silver 325is. I'm not quite sure about the chromies.

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #3,461 of 3,640
  I think the sound sig of the 325is is different enough from the RS1i (which is almost identical, but better than an unmodded MSPro) to justify owning both. If you have a few hundreds to spare and don't know what to do, even owning both the 325is and the 325e is reasonable in term of sound.

Also the goldies (which is 325i - no 's') sound different from the 325is. The silver 325is. I'm not quite sure about the chromies.

They were different but I much preferred the RS1 so the 325 was just packed away. I figured that since I was kinda holding on to them mostly for sentimental reasons (my first real pair of headphones) I finally decided to sell them to fund something else to try, thus the HE-400. At this time I don't see myself getting rid of the RS1i anytime soon (or ever) but things change and tastes evolve. Someday I may not love the sound that my RS1 gives me anymore and I'll feel the need to try something else and since I'm not a headphone hoarder, it'll be sell off the old to buy the new.

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #3,462 of 3,640
  I think the sound sig of the 325is is different enough from the RS1i 

I definitely agree with you on this.

Quote:

I don't see myself getting rid of the RS1i anytime soon (or ever) but things change and tastes evolve. Someday I may not love the sound that my RS1 gives me anymore and I'll feel the need to try something else and since I'm not a headphone hoarder, it'll be sell off the old to buy the new.

Very good point.
This is what happened to me, which is why I was trying different HP Brands/Technologies…but in the end I realized the PS1K gave me that  change I was looking from the (SR/RS models). IMO the PS1K/RS1i compliment each other very much…or at least too my liking/ears.

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #3,463 of 3,640
I wish that wasn't the case....it would be a lot cheaper if our ears and tastes stayed static...lol...might be a bit boring though.

Jan 16, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #3,464 of 3,640
  I wish that wasn't the case....it would be a lot cheaper if our ears and tastes stayed static...lol...might be a bit boring though.

Well I believe that at some point you do get bored/used to what you have/hear and want to have/hear something different…in the end you'll either realize that what you were bored/used to was/wasn't for you after hearing other HP's. In my case, in the end, I definite realized that what I have is for my tastes…for sure! But I still wanted to find this out for myself, and it was definitely worth the time/effort, not to mention the great journey/experience, and reassurance in knowing what my taste preference is, maning the (RS1i/PS1k's) in my case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back