The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
Jan 31, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #991 of 3,640
I personally don't have any problems with the bagels. I did find (not unexpectedly), that I had to retune the headphones to a flatter response curve. The high frequencies were there as usual, but sibilance is a slight bit stronger than usual. Didn't bother me.

They're a LOT more comfortable than before. I wear glasses, so the smaller earpads would constantly pressure the side of my head, which got fatiguing after awhile.

I take the 5:00 Ayre Acoustics glide tone and then equalize according to percieved loudness. I find that this gives me the best chance at a more balanced sound. Doing this, I notice that there's a some transient resonances at the low end and at the top end, but that might be because they're older. I don't hear that sort of thing on my Sennheiser HD590s (yes, people still use those things).

All this aside, after tuning, I did lose some on the low end, but frankly, I'm more impressed by clarity than by heavy bass because frankly, if you want accurate chest-thumping presentation of the low end, go get a subwoofer, not a pair of headphones. And don't blow them past live listening levels. Just because you can, doesn't mean it's more accurate.

Jan 31, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #992 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaintative /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And don't blow them past live listening levels. Just because you can, doesn't mean it's more accurate.

I tried setting my volume to "live" while listening to Nightwish's End of an Era yesterday based on my prior experience with their concerts. It was amazing, but the ringing that followed fifteen minutes of listening made me swear never to do that to a metal album again.
biggrin.gif

EDIT: at least minor hearing damage is part of the concert experience, so it was authentic! All else I needed was splints in my legs from standing in one spot for three+ hours.

Feb 1, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #993 of 3,640
About the new pricing of the SR325i: does the US pricing stay put?

And moogoob, it was Lateralus. Imagine people thinking that album is too long?

I also tried the SR325i with GS-bowls; no good to my ears. Much of the glorious intimacy of the SR325i were lost, and everything sounded boring and flat compared to stock bowls.

Feb 2, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #994 of 3,640
Just reporting serial #5405 for duty. They sound great in detail, high and mid-range. Bass is still lacking a bit and not to controlled. But that might most possibly change since I gave my head-amp a treat of new tubes as well.

Feb 2, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #995 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by Analo-Michl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just reporting serial #5405 for duty. They sound great in detail, high and mid-range. Bass is still lacking a bit and not to controlled. But that might most possibly change since I gave my head-amp a treat of new tubes as well.

Welcome to the club and sorry about your wallet!
biggrin.gif

Bass is dependent on recording, amp and source with these phones, and in that order too. Some (Infected Mushroom
tongue.gif
) recordings sound positively THICK, and I can't imagine how they'd sound on Denons or (gasp!) DT880s.
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #996 of 3,640
Serial No#4142 logging in. Bought these wonderful 'phones off ebay last year and have been a longtime lurker of hed-fi for about the same time.

I have used the 325i directly with a laptop, iriver and with my Myryad MI120integrated (now gone). Now looking for a dedicated amp preferably SS. I know the Little Dot 1+ is a good match but has anyone tried the LD Mk 5?

Searched the forum and haven't found and reports good or bad.

Cheers,

Feb 2, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #997 of 3,640
OK starting to really feel these cans now. About 180+ hours burn in time, also taped the bowls and upgraded to a Mullard re-issue 12AX7/ ECC83 tube which is a huge improvement over the stock tube on the Bellari VP130. All these mods have given me the bass I was after plus great clarity and detail. A very happy bunny indeed
atsmile.gif
!

Yeah the price hike seems a bit over the top - I managed to get mine for £205 from a careful ebay owner so I guess I was lucky. Anyway I now see what all the fuss is about with these headphones and will recommend them to anyone..!

Feb 6, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #999 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by RichBlack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now looking for a dedicated amp preferably SS. I know the Little Dot 1+ is a good match but has anyone tried the LD Mk 5?

Searched the forum and haven't found and reports good or bad.

How'd you miss this?

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...lifier-289765/

Feb 7, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #1,000 of 3,640
Hmm. I was a bit reticent to post this...

I now have a pair of high serial # goldies and low serial # new silver in my possession temporarily.

There appears to be more than an aesthetic difference. The cable on the new silver pair is twice as thick (literally) as the cable on the gold pair, both above and below the 'Y' (the cable below the 'Y' is seriously thick). Also, if I shine a flashlight behind screen of each pair, the gold pair has 2 (signal and ground) wires soldered to the driver, while the silver has 4 (2 each of signal and ground) wires soldered to the driver. Don't bother asking for pics because they it is impossible to capture a good photo behind the wire mesh.

I would think that the duplicate/thicker wire would be of lower impedance, and if the overall package maintains the same impedance then something in the driver would also have had to change, right? Of course the new wire may simply be more cost effective than the old wire and to maintain the same impedance they may have had to use thicker/duplicate strands.

As to the sound, it is unfair to do A-B comparisons because the silver pair is so new. It seems like a bit more bass than the gold but also more sibilant, but it may just need some burn-in time.

Another note is that (and I'm sure this is just my impression, and not actual fact) the silver pair seems [without cable] seems lighter than the gold pair. I don't have a scale for comparison. That has got to be in my head though, because the thickness and size of the cups is exactly the same.

Feb 8, 2009 at 12:40 PM Post #1,001 of 3,640
geremy,
Those are some interesting observations. Is the Y splitter itself larger on the silver 325is? I can't see how the cable could be thicker otherwise. I hope to hear more A/B comparisons in the future.

Feb 8, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #1,002 of 3,640
The 'Y' splitter itself is thicker, but the x & y dimensions are the same. At a casual glance you may not notice.

Feb 8, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #1,003 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by geremy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The cable on the new silver pair is twice as thick (literally) as the cable on the gold pair, both above and below the 'Y' (the cable below the 'Y' is seriously thick).

I would think that the duplicate/thicker wire would be of lower impedance, and if the overall package maintains the same impedance then something in the driver would also have had to change, right? Of course the new wire may simply be more cost effective than the old wire and to maintain the same impedance they may have had to use thicker/duplicate strands.

Could we perhaps get a pic comparing both cables? I'm curious.
smily_headphones1.gif

How is the relative sensitivity between the two cans? The 325is are damn sensitive phones to start with; I can't often listen higher than 9-10 o-clock on low gain on my Headroom Micro, and on some (hot) recordings even that can be too loud sometimes.

I'm also glad that "Goldies" has caught on.
biggrin.gif

Feb 8, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #1,004 of 3,640
Here is a quick pic with a crappy iphone camera. There are already pictures of the 'Y' piece and above with in the 'silver 325i' separate thread.

Silver on left, Goldie on right.
3262646225_f06e88294f_b.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back