The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
Jan 30, 2009 at 9:38 AM Post #977 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by geremy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I emailed Grado earlier today to see if there is a difference between the gold and the silver. I have not yet received a response.

Are you referring to the difference in color of the body? I thought the 325 was silver and the 325i was gold.

As for getting the new cable terminated with a 1/8 by Grado, I don't think this is likely as they don't have any cans with UHPLC cables with a 1/8 jack.

One more option would be to get them re-cabled by one of the many companies who provide this service, they can then terminate to 1/8 if you prefer that.

Jan 30, 2009 at 9:53 AM Post #978 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Presto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you referring to the difference in color of the body? I thought the 325 was silver and the 325i was gold.

As for getting the new cable terminated with a 1/8 by Grado, I don't think this is likely as they don't have any cans with UHPLC cables with a 1/8 jack.

Joe, it seems production of the gold 325is has ended and the latest 325is are now silver, though Grado has yet to make any statement about this change. Good point about the lack of UHPLC cables with 1/8 termination, although it still wouldn't hurt to ask.

Jan 30, 2009 at 9:55 AM Post #979 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Presto /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That is true -- was gold. Apparently not anymore. See this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/the...r325is-404007/

Jan 30, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #980 of 3,640
My email to Grado:
Quote:

I noticed that the brand new 325i models that are being sold by the
retailers have now switched to silver color (from the earlier gold).
Other than the color, is there any driver/cabling/construction
differences? Is there a reason to 'upgrade' to the newer version?

And the official response:
Quote:

Cosmetic changes only.
Regards,
Grado Labs

Jan 30, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #981 of 3,640
That's good to know that there were only cosmetic changes. Especially since they pretty much released them without any announcement.

Jan 30, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #982 of 3,640
finalement! I finally received my SR325i, and digging them with a bit of Tool. The sound is awesome, quite a bit more aggressive/punchy than the GS1000, but still detailed and good bottom/top extension. No comfort problems, after I bent the headband a little the bowls apply an even pressure all around my ears. I guess my ears are of a small size.
SN is 8737. mine are golden, does anybody know at what SN the silvers started at?

Jan 30, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #984 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
finalement! I finally received my SR325i, and digging them with a bit of Tool. The sound is awesome, quite a bit more aggressive/punchy than the GS1000, but still detailed and good bottom/top extension. No comfort problems, after I bent the headband a little the bowls apply an even pressure all around my ears. I guess my ears are of a small size.
SN is 8737. mine are golden, does anybody know at what SN the silvers started at?

Tool. YES!
biggrin.gif
They are a great combo. Lateralus is fantastic.

Jan 31, 2009 at 10:21 AM Post #986 of 3,640
Can't deny being pleased to hear the silver 325is are only cosmetically different.

So why are they putting the price up I wonder? It's getting to the point in the UK where these headphones are going to price themselves out of the market. (In a recession too!!)

Jan 31, 2009 at 11:36 AM Post #987 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So why are they putting the price up I wonder? It's getting to the point in the UK where these headphones are going to price themselves out of the market. (In a recession too!!)

Fair question. I don't understand Grado's foreign pricing scheme altogether. Honestly, if I were living outside the US, I'd be too annoyed by the company's foreign price-hiking and exportation strictness to purchase from them. If they price themselves out of the market in the UK, it will be deserved.

BTW, with the yen gaining value against the dollar, the pricing in Japan is even crazier. ¥45,900 ($507.79, £356.19). Some are selling at ¥49,560 ($548.28, £384.60). Update: Good god. The same store (major retailer) is selling K701s for ¥82,800 ($916.01, £642.54). I guess I'd better hold my tongue about outrageous Grado pricing.

It makes me wonder what country has it worst.

Jan 31, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #988 of 3,640
In the UK,the price is £250 to £270. The Sennheiser 650 is at about £179. In this climate, Grado are saying that the silver ones are due for a price hike? Seems nuts to me.

However, I really do like the sound of the 325i. The pricing policy is not good and is something that Mr Grado needs to look at because I would hate to see them crumple as they become too expensive in non-USA countries. Even the SR 60 is too expensive imo for what it is in the UK.

Here is what their EU rep says:

Ian, you are a lucky chap, you've received the latest SR325 headphones at an 'old' price. The new silver SR325 will have a UK suggested selling price of £350 (inc vat @15%)

£350 is outrageous.

So if you are thinking of buying one, get it now before it goes up, just because it is silver!!!

Ian

Jan 31, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #989 of 3,640
I personally don't have any problems with the bagels. I did find (not unexpectedly), that I had to retune the headphones to a flatter response curve. The high frequencies were there as usual, but sibilance is a slight bit stronger than usual. Didn't bother me.

They're a LOT more comfortable than before. I wear glasses, so the smaller earpads would constantly pressure the side of my head, which got fatiguing after awhile.

I take the 5:00 Ayre Acoustics glide tone and then equalize according to percieved loudness. I find that this gives me the best chance at a more balanced sound. Doing this, I notice that there's a some transient resonances at the low end and at the top end, but that might be because they're older. I don't hear that sort of thing on my Sennheiser HD590s (yes, people still use those things).

All this aside, after tuning, I did lose some on the low end, but frankly, I'm more impressed by clarity than by heavy bass because frankly, if you want accurate chest-thumping presentation of the low end, go get a subwoofer, not a pair of headphones. And don't blow them past live listening levels. Just because you can, doesn't mean it's more accurate.

Jan 31, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #990 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ian, you are a lucky chap, you've received the latest SR325 headphones at an 'old' price. The new silver SR325 will have a UK suggested selling price of £350 (inc vat @15%)

£350 is outrageous.

So if you are thinking of buying one, get it now before it goes up, just because it is silver!!!

Ian

eek.gif
Dude, that's more in £s than what I paid in $Canadian. And I though Canada was getting a slight bit of shafting.

In other news, I'm currently listening to some classic Nightwish, which sounds surprisingly good.
smily_headphones1.gif
Nymphomaniac Fantasia (off their first album) is not usually a song one think of when one thinks of Nightwish, but damn it rocks in a power metal way.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back