The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
Dec 5, 2008 at 9:55 AM Post #871 of 3,640
Don't know what kept me so long but I'm popping in to say I have been enjoying my #8423 Grado SR-325i for a good 4 or 5 months now. I just love the sound coming out of them and just how easy it is to drive with DAPs and portable amp/DACs.

Dec 5, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #872 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could be simply "grattle". Do a search for it, might just be a hair that's caught laying against the driver.

Thanks for the input. This is what crossed my mind too, no hair though.

I delivered them to a local hifi-shop a week ago. Very good service, did fix them even though i had brought them from the states. Well at least tried.. The problem didn't go away. They mustn't have had proper music to hear it with. I then showed them what it was about, and left them there again. Shame. The guy who is the shop-expert at fixing things did say he had run into a similar problem that indeed was the cause of a piece of hair gotten stuck in the driver.. Wasn't the case this time.

Will wait for another verdict
smily_headphones1.gif

Luckily i have my little brother's sr80's if i start longing for that grado-sound..

Thanks!

-K

Dec 5, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #873 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by electropop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will wait for another verdict
smily_headphones1.gif

Luckily i have my little brother's sr80's if i start longing for that grado-sound..

Thanks!

-K

Keep us posted.

The SR-80 should do a surprisingly good job of "standing in" for the 325i while fulfilling your longing for the "Grado sound."

: )

Dec 5, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #874 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep us posted.

The SR-80 should do a surprisingly good job of "standing in" for the 325i while fulfilling your longing for the "Grado sound."

: )

I will!
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah the 80's aren't so bad, a bit thin and lacking bass as well as refinement.. But for jamming Stanley Clarke's 'Journey to Love', as i'm doing now, they're more than enough..
smily_headphones1.gif

Roger out

Dec 5, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #875 of 3,640
Quote:

I will!
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah the 80's aren't so bad, a bit thin and lacking bass as well as refinement.. But for jamming Stanley Clarke's 'Journey to Love', as i'm doing now, they're more than enough..
smily_headphones1.gif

Roger out

That's how I'd describe my 80s as well. However, with that they are also quite a bit more forgiving of poor source and amp. And lighter.
L3000.gif
I keep mine by my computer and use them for YouTube videos and other casual computer-related stuff.

Dec 5, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #876 of 3,640
Hmm.. Somehow i disagree. The sr80's are more harsh and fatiguing disregard the source. No matter how compressed/poorly recorded or mixed the music is, i always favor the 325i's. Accuracy is not everything i guess..

But yes, the 325i's take more advantage of a proper source, although my LD I+ with GE408A -tubes makes both shine! A true bargain of a good source for Grado's..
This is not me talking placebo, nor multiplying the outcomes of my impressions by astronomical numbers (as many tend to do
smily_headphones1.gif
) but it is purely by objective and empirical listening the best amp i've heard grados with!

All of you looking for a monster budget amp for your sr325i's, check this one out.

Sorry, got a bit carried away
biggrin.gif

-K

Dec 5, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #877 of 3,640
I'm gonna break the tie here, although I'll substitute my 60's for your 80's. My 325i's reveal imperfections in source material that are, essentially, inaudible using my SR60's. To the point that many imperfectly ripped or low bitrate tracks are harsh and grating to my ears. It is in these cases that I long for my 60's, although they will soon be moving on to a new home.

That's the "good and bad" of being an owner of the 325i's.

Dec 5, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #878 of 3,640
60s with flat's are a complete different game than 80s with bowls.
It may be due to burn-in process, but the 325i's are much more lush than the sr80's. There's just something that sounds, could i say dirty, that is harshness to my ears. Like bright tiny little artifacts that mask the sound slightly.. Hmm.. Does this make sense? Plus they are harder, meaning having less bass. That gives a notion of benefit to the 325i's. It's true that the 325i's reveal more information, whether it's artifacts in a bad rip or just the recording in general. Well ok, there's a difference here, since the 80's or 60's might help in terms of cutting some of that extra harshness in, let's say, a live recording while poorly compressed material just sounds dull lacking detail, dynamics and tone. So in the latter regard, it doesn't make much difference. This is how i've heard it with several pieces of material, including my own rips etc.

Do some agree with my correction? Or am i not making sense at all
smily_headphones1.gif

-K

Dec 5, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #879 of 3,640
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

-K

I think I get what you're saying. I did want to clarify that I have had bowls on my 60's pretty much from the get-go, so it is to the modified 60's that I refer in my previous post.

Dec 5, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #880 of 3,640
I'll take a 325i over an SR-60 or SR70 or MS-1 any day. Haven't heard an SR-125 ever, and did like SR-225 until I replaced with HF-1 but I never compared the 225 vs 325i which came later.

Dec 6, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #881 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll take a 325i over an SR-60 or SR70 or MS-1 any day. Haven't heard an SR-125 ever, and did like SR-225 until I replaced with HF-1 but I never compared the 225 vs 325i which came later.

i prefer the 225's over the 325i's sometimes, although it is less refined, i like them because its more well-rounded and warm and plays all types of music quite well. i find the 325i's just a bit too harsh sometimes for vocals and rock music. it performs better for lighter sounding music like jazz, classical, acoustic, and live music. the best part about it is the detail. the difference between grados and other headphones, IMO when it comes to detail, is that grados emphasizes the detail in the instruments especially the guitar, while other headphones focuses the details in the recording. which is why grados are more forgiving towards bad source material. another great thing about them is that they are so easy to drive and match quite well with all types of amps, but probably the best with tube ones.
popcorn.gif

now if i could get my hands on some rs1's...then i'll be set.
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2008 at 1:42 PM Post #882 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, but first you must submit a cool pic of them with your best piece of gear...source or amp.
icon10.gif

All right here we go:
web.jpg

web.jpg

Dec 13, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #883 of 3,640
Quote:

60s with flat's are a complete different game than 80s with bowls.
It may be due to burn-in process, but the 325i's are much more lush than the sr80's. There's just something that sounds, could i say dirty, that is harshness to my ears. Like bright tiny little artifacts that mask the sound slightly.. Hmm.. Does this make sense? Plus they are harder, meaning having less bass. That gives a notion of benefit to the 325i's. It's true that the 325i's reveal more information, whether it's artifacts in a bad rip or just the recording in general. Well ok, there's a difference here, since the 80's or 60's might help in terms of cutting some of that extra harshness in, let's say, a live recording while poorly compressed material just sounds dull lacking detail, dynamics and tone. So in the latter regard, it doesn't make much difference. This is how i've heard it with several pieces of material, including my own rips etc.

smily_headphones1.gif

-K

Could be break-in or amplification. Which amp are you using? With sufficient break-in and out of a Headroom Micro Amp and Ultra Micro DAC, mine are quite bassy. Not what I'd call lush (like Denons) but still bassier and better balanced than out of a portable amp, iPod etc.

The highs also improve with a good degree of control, but of course that's due entirely to taste.

Dec 13, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #884 of 3,640
After reading for some time this is my first post. Received my SR325i (8958) last week and it is still burning in. To early to say much about it except that I am HAPPY. So far it sounds good. I like it a lot. Not too heavy not too bright until now but hte music sounds much more full, with body compared to my SR80. But I need to have some more time to listen before I can tell more...

Dec 13, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #885 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could be break-in or amplification. Which amp are you using? With sufficient break-in and out of a Headroom Micro Amp and Ultra Micro DAC, mine are quite bassy. Not what I'd call lush (like Denons) but still bassier and better balanced than out of a portable amp, iPod etc.

The highs also improve with a good degree of control, but of course that's due entirely to taste.

Are you talking about the sr80's?

Sorry, got confused.
smily_headphones1.gif

Because my point was that the 80's are not rich in bass (may be due to the fact, that i'm comparing them to my other phones?!?) though always properly controlled, despite any of the amps i've used..
Treble-control may be the correct term for the lack of it i found in the phones as that "dirtyness/harshness" or something..

-K

-K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back