The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
Nov 23, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #857 of 3,640
My photos show my former SR-325i (mine till last Monday) at the bottom left of this photo:

headphoneaddict-albums-headphone-gear-picture1031-plaidplatypus-meet-11-09-2008.jpg

And the top right on this one:

headphoneaddict-albums-headphone-gear-picture821-main-rig-crowded.jpg

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:23 AM Post #860 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by gasstronamicle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
greatdane im curious, did you notice any improvement from the recable? would you need an amp to notice the improvement or would an ipod be enough?

I didn't recable thinking it would change the sound, I just hated the stock cable. To be honest I don't hear any difference. Even if a new cable was noticeable they will still be great with an iPod.

Nov 24, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #861 of 3,640
lol, i want to recable my 325i's too. not to improve the sound, but to replace the stupid heavy twisting grado cable. i'm too scared to mod my 325i's though since they were so expensive (to me).

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #862 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by yukihiro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol, i want to recable my 325i's too. not to improve the sound, but to replace the stupid heavy twisting grado cable. i'm too scared to mod my 325i's though since they were so expensive (to me).

shouldnt be too hard, actually from my understanding, and i could be wrong! but grado recables headphones too. try to shoot them an email and ask them to do it for you? also you can have other places recable it for you too.

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #863 of 3,640
It was fairly simple to disassemble the cups. Hot water or hot air will soften the hot glue and allow the metal to separate from the plastic.

I used a cable from APureSound

APureSound - Where The Music Is Always Pure - APS Audio LLC.

This pic shows one cup apart. I decided to throw some Blutak on the driver housing.I used a Black Sharpie to color.

IMG_1595.jpg

A closer view

IMG_1596.jpg

I used boiling water to loosen the back plastic ring with the lettering, then easily pry out. I used Goof Off (solvent) to dissolve the black paint from the stainless steel mesh after removing from the cup.

The stock cable was still in use after this mod. I later took them apart again and recabled.

edit-will try to replace pics

Nov 25, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #864 of 3,640
^^

That's it!

I'm calling the sr325i-rights department and have you locked up!

smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 26, 2008 at 6:54 AM Post #866 of 3,640
you just submerge the cup portion, not up to the drivers though... that definitely would be a bad idea haha

Nov 26, 2008 at 7:11 AM Post #867 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by gasstronamicle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
did you put the whole headphone in hot water?! that sounds a bit scary....

No, you take a shallow pan and pour boiling water to a about 1/8-1/4" high water level, and set the headphone cups down on the hot water till the cups get hot enough to soften the hot glue so you can pull them apart.

I used a blow drier to get the cups off my HF-1 to install woodies.

Nov 26, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #868 of 3,640
Awww ****.. My 325i's are broken. Today when i was listening on slightly louder than normal levels, I noticed the bass to cause jitter/distortion on the right phone..
frown.gif

I took them along when i visited a friend of mine, kept them around my neck (it was less than zero celsius outside) so they got cold. Of course when i got inside, the water condensed immediately. I didn't plug them in as i was afraid they might short-circuit or something. I got a ride back home, so it couldn't have happened again (might have done worse). Two days after, having let them dry in peace, I started listening and here I am.

Could the condensed water have done something to the glue, like maybe loosening a wire attached to the driver or something else?

I am a sad owner of a pair of 325i's labeled 7009
frown.gif

If someone has a take on this, please shoot!

Thanks

-K

Dec 4, 2008 at 8:58 AM Post #869 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, but first you must submit a cool pic of them with your best piece of gear...source or amp.
icon10.gif

No problem - I havn't taken the pics yet. It will be here in a few days. In the meantime here is a thread of my other gear. (In a Danish Head-fi forum though...)

HIFI4ALL.DK Forum: Rør, LISA III, iQube, Headsix

Dec 4, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #870 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by electropop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awww ****.. My 325i's are broken. Today when i was listening on slightly louder than normal levels, I noticed the bass to cause jitter/distortion on the right phone..
frown.gif

I took them along when i visited a friend of mine, kept them around my neck (it was less than zero celsius outside) so they got cold. Of course when i got inside, the water condensed immediately. I didn't plug them in as i was afraid they might short-circuit or something. I got a ride back home, so it couldn't have happened again (might have done worse). Two days after, having let them dry in peace, I started listening and here I am.

Could the condensed water have done something to the glue, like maybe loosening a wire attached to the driver or something else?

I am a sad owner of a pair of 325i's labeled 7009
frown.gif

If someone has a take on this, please shoot!

Thanks

-K

Could be simply "grattle". Do a search for it, might just be a hair that's caught laying against the driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back