The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
Nov 29, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #3,047 of 3,640
My DAC has only one pair of L/R outputs and those are already used connected to my amplifier.

So you take them out of that amplifier, and plug them into the LD, which is also an amplifier, so now you will be using the LD as your amp.

That is the goal. Should I use Tape Out from the amplifier?

Nov 29, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #3,049 of 3,640
That is the goal. Should I use Tape Out from the amplifier?

The LD has a volume control, and it is the amplifier, so you plug directly into it from the DAC's L/R outputs. I will send some pictures in a little while to show the sequence I have to use the MBP-Modi-LD-headphnes.

To connect LD from DAC which has only one pair of L/R outputs already connected to my Marantz amp I need something like a splitter, correct?

Nov 29, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #3,051 of 3,640
To connect LD from DAC which has only one pair of L/R outputs already connected to my Marantz amp I need something like a splitter, correct?

If thats what you want to do, yes, but it will no longer be necessary to use the Marantz amplifier with the LD1+ amplifier.

Oh, well if I still want to listen over my speakers that's nececerry. I don't want to listen only via the cans and reconnecting the cables each time.

Nov 29, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #3,052 of 3,640
Oh, well if I still want to listen over my speakers that's nececerry. I don't want to listen only via the cans and reconnecting the cables each time.

Yes ,then you will need a splitter.
Here is the sequence in which I have my source, dac, amp, headphones.
1st- MBP's USB to Modi's A-male to B male input. (Modi in the upper left corner in the draw). 
2nd- Modi's A-male to B male input from MBP's USB.
3rd- Modi's L/R outputs to LD's L/R inputs.
4th- Headphones to LD's headphone output, and your set! 

Nov 30, 2013 at 6:06 AM Post #3,053 of 3,640

1st- MBP's USB to Modi's A-male to B male input. (Modi in the upper left corner in the draw). 

Thanks a lot for your time and pictures!

Dec 2, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #3,054 of 3,640

[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]
That's a sweet looking amp.. That's awesome and can imagine how good that sounds.. I love tube amps..

Dec 2, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #3,055 of 3,640
That's a sweet looking amp.. That's awesome and can imagine how good that sounds.. I love tube amps..

Thank you, it is a nice sounding/looking amp, especially for the price. I would definitely recommend it to someone looking for a tube amp, plus there is a huge thread on tube rolling for this amp (LD1+ tube rolling guide) and it is a hybrid so you can change the OPAMP to suite your sound preference also.

Dec 12, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #3,056 of 3,640
15421 new silver sr325i. Has anyone ever tried polyester fiber inside the Grado cups? In a speaker box it increases enclosure volume (the speaker acts as it would in a larger box) and eliminates internal reflections. I was wondering about the effects of doing so with a headphones.

Dec 12, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #3,057 of 3,640
  15421 new silver sr325i. Has anyone ever tried polyester fiber inside the Grado cups? In a speaker box it increases enclosure volume (the speaker acts as it would in a larger box) and eliminates internal reflections. I was wondering about the effects of doing so with a headphones.

I don't know if you ever put your hands even close to the Grado cups while listening, but It sound terrible, try it out, and then put your hands fully over the cups and take a listen. I don't think filling the cups with any type of material would do the Grado's justice, they are designed to be open backs. But try it anyway.

Dec 12, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #3,058 of 3,640
  I don't know if you ever put your hands even close to the Grado cups while listening, but It sound terrible, try it out, and then put your hands fully over the cups and take a listen. I don't think filling the cups with any type of material would do the Grado's justice, they are designed to be open backs. But try it anyway.

I have done this, but please understand that polyester fiber inside the cups won't 'close' the cans (if anything it should help 'open' them more) and I don't expect the result to sound anything close to hands covering them. I plan on trying this mod on my own and certainly will post about it, but wanted to ask if anyone else has tried it.

Dec 12, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #3,059 of 3,640
  I have done this, but please understand that polyester fiber inside the cups won't 'close' the cans (if anything it should help 'open' them more) and I don't expect the result to sound anything close to hands covering them. I plan on trying this mod on my own and certainly will post about it, but wanted to ask if anyone else has tried it.

I look forward to hearing the results, and your impressions, good luck.

Dec 12, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #3,060 of 3,640
Pretty sure it's been done and not with good results. Give me a few minutes to see if I can find some poly and I'll give it a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back