The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
Nov 27, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #3,031 of 3,640
Sometimes it is broken record, at least have some flows. It sounds different record to record, that's keep me thinking that something is wrong with the record and 325is are so transparent and revealing.

I also find them to be very selective to recordings and amplification. 
When you get the right amplification/recordings, they really sine, especially in the mids with guitars and vocals IMO.

Nov 27, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #3,032 of 3,640
Sometimes it is broken record, at least have some flows. It sounds different record to record, that's keep me thinking that something is wrong with the record and 325is are so transparent and revealing.

I also find them to be very selective to recordings and amplification. 
When you get the right amplification/recordings, they really sine, especially in the mids with guitars and vocals IMO.

True. BTW, do you have something in mind with stunning sound quality to check them out?

Nov 27, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #3,034 of 3,640
Nov 27, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #3,035 of 3,640
Anything basically :wink:

I use the MBP using imported Cd's (ALAC) or a Sony CDP-C601-701-801ES model with either the Shiit Magni/Modi combo or the LD1+/Modi combo, listening to mostly smooth jazz, and I find the 325is's perform real nice with either combo. I like both combos, but the Magni/Modi combo, to me has more of that Grado sound and make the 325's a bit more clearer, detailed and punchier, and less congested at time to me, because don't forget, I don't find my 325is's to be bright/harsh in any way. With the LD1+/MODI combo, I like them just as well, but I don't find them to be as quick and precise, I find them to be more laid back, so it depends on my mood at the time.
But like I said, when you feed them a great recording/amplification, they are amazing. I also own an Adcom GFP-710 pre-amp/Meridian203DAC, and I don't like the way the 325's sound out of this combo, where as my 80i's and RS1i's sound great out of any of these three combos, so to me they are picky for this reason.

Nov 27, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #3,036 of 3,640
Anything basically :wink:

I use the MBP using imported Cd's (ALAC) or a Sony CDP-C601-701-801ES model with either the Shiit Magni/Modi combo or the LD1+/Modi combo, listening to mostly smooth jazz, and I find the 325is's perform real nice with either combo. I like both combos, but the Magni/Modi combo, to me has more of that Grado sound and make the 325's a bit more clearer, detailed and punchier, and less congested at time to me, because don't forget, I don't find my 325is's to be bright/harsh in any way. With the LD1+/MODI combo, I like them just as well, but I don't find them to be as quick and precise, I find them to be more laid back, so it depends on my mood at the time.
But like I said, when you feed them a great recording/amplification, they are amazing. I also own an Adcom GFP-710 pre-amp/Meridian203DAC, and I don't like the way the 325's sound out of this combo, where as my 80i's and RS1i's sound great out of any of these three combos, so to me they are picky for this reason.

That's the nice gear. Do you listen mostly over the cans or speakers as well? Have you had a chance to hear something different that Shiit what impressed you more? Something you want to get in the future?

Nov 27, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #3,037 of 3,640
That's the nice gear. Do you listen mostly over the cans or speakers as well? Have you had a chance to hear something different that Shiit what impressed you more? Something you want to get in the future?

Thank you, I only listen to headphones right now, but I do have a pair of Vandersteen 2Ci's that are not in use due to room size. I've listened to four different amplifiers, Adcom GTP-400/Adcom GFP-710/Schiit Magni/LD1+ and my Sony Cd players have built in amps also with their own remote volume control which sound very, very good, with the exception of the 601ES (at higher volumes) because it lacks power with some recordings because it only has one power transformer, where as the 701/801ES have two power transformers. I also had the MAD Ear+HD, but unfortunately didn't have it long enough for it to burn-in, but sounded beautiful right out of the box, and I only got to try it with the RS's. I just ordered the Woo Audio 6 with the Sophia Princess rectifier tube and power tube upgrade two days ago, so I should have that in a week or so. In the future I would like to own a MAD Ear+HD again (I think), it depend on how much I like the WA6. To me rather than being impressed by other amps in comparison to the Schiit, for me its not like that. To me they all sound different, and are IMO are all impressive in their own ways. It all comes down to what you like to hear and how you want to hear it, that why I'm using different combos with everything.
If you are asking because you are interested in the Schiit Magni/Modi combo, it sound very nice to me for an inexpensive amp/dac combo, and I would recommend it, but thats just my opinion.

Nov 28, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #3,038 of 3,640

Thank you, I only listen to headphones right now, but I do have a pair of Vandersteen 2Ci's that are not in use due to room size. I've listened to four different amplifiers, Adcom GTP-400/Adcom GFP-710/Schiit Magni/LD1+ and my Sony Cd players have built in amps also with their own remote volume control which sound very, very good, with the exception of the 601ES (at higher volumes) because it lacks power with some recordings because it only has one power transformer, where as the 701/801ES have two power transformers. I also had the MAD Ear+HD, but unfortunately didn't have it long enough for it to burn-in, but sounded beautiful right out of the box, and I only got to try it with the RS's. I just ordered the Woo Audio 6 with the Sophia Princess rectifier tube and power tube upgrade two days ago, so I should have that in a week or so. In the future I would like to own a MAD Ear+HD again (I think), it depend on how much I like the WA6. To me rather than being impressed by other amps in comparison to the Schiit, for me its not like that. To me they all sound different, and are IMO are all impressive in their own ways. It all comes down to what you like to hear and how you want to hear it, that why I'm using different combos with everything.
If you are asking because you are interested in the Schiit Magni/Modi combo, it sound very nice to me for an inexpensive amp/dac combo, and I would recommend it, but thats just my opinion.

For me having different combos is too expensive, so I am looking for kind of nirvana to be the best suit for my 325is. So far, i have highly modded Beresford Caiman DAC sourced from my MBP/Audirvana gear and I liked it witm my 80i's. With 325is I don't know yet.

In your case, the combos are mostly vacuum tubed, does it mean that I should take a plunge into it, because Grado like tubes? I have listen recently to jazz, some classics and old rock.

For the amp I have Marantz PM6004 and would be nice to keep it as well as CD5004 player. Both have rather poor headphone amps comparing to the Caiman DAC.

Nov 28, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #3,039 of 3,640
For me having different combos is too expensive, so I am looking for kind of nirvana to be the best suit for my 325is. So far, i have highly modded Beresford Caiman DAC sourced from my MBP/Audirvana gear and I liked it witm my 80i's. With 325is I don't know yet.

In your case, the combos are mostly vacuum tubed, does it mean that I should take a plunge into it, because Grado like tubes? I have listen recently to jazz, some classics and old rock.

For the amp I have Marantz PM6004 and would be nice to keep it as well as CD5004 player. Both have rather poor headphone amps comparing to the Caiman DAC.

I'm surprised the Marantz PM6004/CD5004 don't sound good!
 The Caiman is only a DAC, correct? After briefly reading some reviews, its supposed to be a nice DAC 
Also why haven't you tried the 325's with your set up, or is it that your not sure if you like the 325's with this set up?
Out of all of my current amplifiers, only the LD1+ has tubes, but it is a hybrid, it also has an OP-AMP, and it only costs about $115.00U.S., so it is a very nice inexpensive amp, and you can roll the tubes to your sound preference and also change the OP-AMP. And yes I think it sound great with the 325's, but I also did some tube rolling (6J1P-EV Voskhod tubes $15.00U.S. shipped) and changed the OP-AMP to a Burr-Brown OPA-2107 ($7.34U.S. shipped), and all in all I like the sound with all of my headphones through the LD. BTW, sounds like you have some nice equipment also, I'm surprised the headphone outs don't sound good.
If you are interested in the LD1+, I would definitely recommend it! Also matched with the Caiman, you should really enjoy the sound out of them together.

Nov 28, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #3,040 of 3,640
I have the marantz CD 6003 and I find the headphone amp in the CD player not bad. Sometimes I listen just with it and the difference to my Creek obh 21 se is not that big to my ears. To be honest I find these comparisons difficult because you plug the headphone from one amp to the other. Than I have no means to measure whether the volume is the same. If it is just a little bit louder bass will be percieved different... and so on... for all of this I try just to enjoy listening music.... and I can do this with the marantz headphone outlet, too... but we all hear differently... I hope you find something that you will like.

Nov 28, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #3,041 of 3,640
  I have the marantz CD 6003 and I find the headphone amp in the CD player not bad. Sometimes I listen just with it and the difference to my Creek obh 21 se is not that big to my ears. To be honest I find these comparisons difficult because you plug the headphone from one amp to the other. Than I have no means to measure whether the volume is the same. If it is just a little bit louder bass will be percieved different... and so on... for all of this I try just to enjoy listening music.... and I can do this with the marantz headphone outlet, too... but we all hear differently... I hope you find something that you will like.

I also agree with you.
I very much enjoyed the sound out of my Sony 6-7-801ES's, with my Grado SR80i's before purchasing amps/dacs.
But as I started going up the line of Grados, I started buying amps/dacs, to upgrade to push the envelope of the headphones, (you know how that goes with this hobby!).

Nov 28, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #3,042 of 3,640
Yes, I think this is a nice part of this hobby. That we can try to find what we like. i enjoy a lot listening to different headphones and I find myself lucky to have different headphones I like - ok most of them are Gradessandros
biggrin.gif
The SR325i was to my ears the only Gradessandro that was so far a bit picky for amplification. I had an old cheap CD walkman. The SR325i sounded not good on it, whereas my Alessandros pros sounded good on it. So, I can understand the search for the right chain for this headphone. And they deserve it. For me the SR325i are so far the best headphone I have heard for vocals and acoustic guitars... Lately I have been traveling a lot and had my DT1350 with me, which is ok for traveling. When I came back home I listened with the PS500 and it was not right for me. Than I put the SR325i on and things were better. the PS 500 is picky by it's sound signature for me. There are recordings where it sounds great but often the midbass hump makes it too boomy for me. The SR325i sounds there more clear and neutral in comparison. Well I stop here, just wanted to say they were my second Grados (after the SR80) and they still get a lot of listening time....

Nov 28, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #3,043 of 3,640

I'm surprised the Marantz PM6004/CD5004 don't sound good!
 The Caiman is only a DAC, correct? After briefly reading some reviews, its supposed to be a nice DAC 
Also why haven't you tried the 325's with your set up, or is it that your not sure if you like the 325's with this set up?
Out of all of my current amplifiers, only the LD1+ has tubes, but it is a hybrid, it also has an OP-AMP, and it only costs about $115.00U.S., so it is a very nice inexpensive amp, and you can roll the tubes to your sound preference and also change the OP-AMP. And yes I think it sound great with the 325's, but I also did some tube rolling (6J1P-EV Voskhod tubes $15.00U.S. shipped) and changed the OP-AMP to a Burr-Brown OPA-2107 ($7.34U.S. shipped), and all in all I like the sound with all of my headphones through the LD. BTW, sounds like you have some nice equipment also, I'm surprised the headphone outs don't sound good.
If you are interested in the LD1+, I would definitely recommend it! Also matched with the Caiman, you should really enjoy the sound out of them together.

Caiman indeed is nice with low ohm cans, for more higher ohm it lacks power. Marantz headphone out is more darker and with smaller soundstage comparing to Caiman to my ears.
I am just thinking to try out the higher powered amp for 325is's to see if it can increase the dynamics and punch.

BTW, hiwnto connect Ld1+ to my set up if LD1+ has only pair of analogue in, no pass through outputs?

Nov 28, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #3,044 of 3,640
Caiman indeed is nice with low ohm cans, for more higher ohm it lacks power. Marantz headphone out is more darker and with smaller soundstage comparing to Caiman to my ears.
I am just thinking to try out the higher powered amp for 325is's to see if it can increase the dynamics and punch.

BTW, hiwnto connect Ld1+ to my set up if LD1+ has only pair of analogue in, no pass through outputs?

MBP's USB output to DAC's A male to B male input, then the DAC's L/R output to the LD's L/R input, then headphones to headphone out on the LD..

Nov 29, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #3,045 of 3,640

MBP's USB output to DAC's A male to B male input, then the DAC's L/R output to the LD's L/R input, then headphones to headphone out on the LD..

My DAC has only one pair of L/R outputs and those are already used connected to my amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back