The Official Grado 325e Owners Club!
Jan 26, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #151 of 312
I purchased a pair of Grado 325e and love them but lately have been going back to SR-60i of all things.

The sr60i were my first Grado and a real eye opener and they were used. Si cells then I bought the sr225i and 325e and still go back to sr60i because I think they are just more burned in.

The reason I bought the 325e is be ause I heard them at an audio store, they were a demo pair. With those large (G?) cushions. Unreal. Full body sound with impact... Yet sparkled with clarity and detail. I couldn't believe it. And I was only plugged into my Galaxy s6 smartphone. I had gone to the store that day to buy Audeze EL-8 and was totally sidetracked by the Grados.

But upon bringing a brand new pair home they don't sound as rich and bursting into my ears.

I believe in that case then that it is true that they need over 100 hours burn in. The sr60i must already have that then because they are nearly as engaging, if not as technically capable, as my new 325e.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Jan 31, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #152 of 312
I LOVE the tape mod! I just got these about a week ago and, to be honest, though I really appreciated the rich tone of the sr325es, I was distinctly disappointed be the lack of base compared to my home system. But not any more - I wrapped once all the way around with black electrical tape - now these headphones are what I had hoped they would be. Still super rich and detailed, no loss of sound-quality or sound-stage to my ears, and plenty of base to satisfy. Thank you for sharing this idea. After doing many hours of research, and not really wanting to buy, try, or spend more money on a different set of cans, it feels like these are truly meeting my hopes for really amazing sound quality. This mod made a huge difference for me. I could hardly be more pleased.

Jan 31, 2017 at 4:57 AM Post #153 of 312
I LOVE the tape mod! I just got these about a week ago and, to be honest, though I really appreciated the rich tone of the sr325es, I was distinctly disappointed be the lack of base compared to my home system. But not any more - I wrapped once all the way around with black electrical tape - now these headphones are what I had hoped they would be. Still super rich and detailed, no loss of sound-quality or sound-stage to my ears, and plenty of base to satisfy. Thank you for sharing this idea. After doing many hours of research, and not really wanting to buy, try, or spend more money on a different set of cans, it feels like these are truly meeting my hopes for really amazing sound quality. This mod made a huge difference for me. I could hardly be more pleased.

You mean bass, not base.

If they are new, then they need some time so run-in, and appear bass light for that time anyway. About 70 hours to run-in folk think.

Jan 31, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #154 of 312
Indeed, bass, not base – I appreciate the correction. And thanks for the reminder about the break-in time. I bought these secondhand and, from what the seller said, I don't think they were used a whole lot, so I'm excited to hear how they shape up over the next several months. I appreciate the perspective.

Feb 7, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #155 of 312
Just chiming in to tame grado's is Skippy's sock mod , save your money buying different pads. Take pads off and cut a cotton sock at the anckle roll it up to make a donut and put it on the sound is awsome and the grados are very comfortable to wear. Try it all you got to loose is a pair of socks

Feb 7, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #156 of 312
Finally pulled the plug and upgraded from my SR80s to the 325. I was a little bit leery because I was completely happy with the sr80s. But wow, what a difference right out of the box. Madman Across the Water SACD played thru my MAD EAR+HD with the legendary Sylvania triple mica black plate is simply astounding. Much more clarity and soundstage. While the treble does seem maybe a tad too bright, I just ordered the Raytheon 5751 windmill getter. That should dull the brightness a bit. Really looking forward to some tube rolling with these cans.

Feb 10, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #157 of 312

Why don't you just enjoy the HP before you rip it apart.    Try changing pads to the TTVJ deluxe flats , this makes the 325e sound incredible.

I'll give the TTVJ pads a try. I'll order them after lunch.
I still want to install a new cable though, hopefully this weekend.
And I'll try to make a DIY video too.

Here's my desk setup at work.
SR325e w/aluminum gimbals from an eBay seller, leather band from Turbulent labs and stock L-cush.
I tried the Ear Zonk pads and prefer the L-cush.
The Ear Zonk reduced the sound stage, but did tighten up the bass.

The Creek amp on the left has the Big Sky Audio upgrade and the Creek amp on the right is completely stock. I'm doing a comparison atm.
They're both OBH-11.

Feb 12, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #158 of 312
  I'll give the TTVJ pads a try. I'll order them after lunch.
I still want to install a new cable though, hopefully this weekend.
And I'll try to make a DIY video too.

Here's my desk setup at work.
SR325e w/aluminum gimbals from an eBay seller, leather band from Turbulent labs and stock L-cush.
I tried the Ear Zonk pads and prefer the L-cush.
The Ear Zonk reduced the sound stage, but did tighten up the bass.

The Creek amp on the left has the Big Sky Audio upgrade and the Creek amp on the right is completely stock. I'm doing a comparison atm.
They're both OBH-11.

That looks awesome ,  can you link me to the ebay seller for the aluminium gimbals ??  ,    also make sure you get the deluxe pads instead of the originals .    Maybe get both for your own comparison.

Feb 12, 2017 at 5:13 AM Post #159 of 312
In regards to the gimbals, I found this link that might be useful.

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVwtKM6BYJBYAKwBx.9w4;_ylu=X3oDMTE0Z2t0bDJvBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwM1BHZ0aWQDVUkyRkJUM18xBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1486922698/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2fwww.head-fi.org%2ft%2f815815%2fgrado-aluminum-gimbals-and-rodblocks-finally-found-a-place-to-buy-them-now-just-got-mine-photos-included/RK=0/RS=hTCk2vy8nVNkqyCaETZEF3QB3jo-

Jul 2, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #160 of 312
I was at audio store about two weeks ago testing headphones. Several disappointments followed by two HUGE discoveries: I love the Oppo PM3'S and I really like the SR325E'S. Two very different sounds and I think an ideal matching set. The PM3'S sounded tight, accurate and clean. The Grado's sounded loose, rough and a little sloppy.
The Grado's certainly have their own sound. Great with rock and awesome with horns ranging from Steely Dan to Miles Davis to Trombone Shorty.
I will probably get the SR325E'S first as they are cheaper. Trying to sell my current models now.

I think that if you had both models at home you could cover every mood and inclination. Of course I am a rock guy and just getting to jazz recently.

Shane D

Jul 29, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #161 of 312
the SR325e are wonderful Grados - as are the SR80e and GS1000i. While the 325's have
gone in and out in rotation with the GS1000i's, I think the SR325e's are one of the
most musical headphones out there anywhere near their price point -
and I wouldn't part with them - Grado classics!

They can sound a bit brash on certain parts of certain recordings (as do many
if not most Grado's) but this is part of their charm, when fed from a good quality source
they have excellent sonic weight, image stability, detail and soundstage coherence.

Build quality is OK but these being Grado's cannot be abused and be prepared
at some point down the line having to possibly re-glue an earpiece back into place
(happened once each on SR80e and 325e so far). Definitely handle
them carefully - I would suggest a decent protective case for travelling with.

The 325e in my opinion is the best sounding 325 so far, smoother/less grainy with
better bass weight and impact -

very natural sounding and enjoyable tonal balance/signature
with the superbly open and musical Grado midrange!

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #163 of 312
Finally sold a pair of my headphones (ATH-M50X) and ordered a brand new pair of SR325e's. My store had a pair of demo's, but I decided if the price is the same, get 'em new. I can't wait. Rock and roll and horns (Steely Dan, Miles, Davis, Trombone Shorty, etc.) sounded great at my in-store demo.:gs1000smile:

Shane D

Aug 2, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #164 of 312
Got an email from my dealer. Headphones are in and I will pick them up tomorrow. Long weekend in Canada, so LOTS of time will be spent listening to my new Grado's!!

Shane D

Aug 5, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #165 of 312
Initial reaction:

The cable seems thick enough to be a main voltage line going into a commercial building. What's up with that?

After a four hour listening session this morning I found the sound was great for acoustic and most other music. However, it really does need more power. Compared to the ATH-M50X and B&W P5's you really have to up the volume control on both of my DAP'S (iPod Classic and Sony NWZ A17). I am hearing effects in songs that I have never heard before. Need lots more time to give a more complete opinion. So far mostly good, but some albums don't work as well. An example is James Heathers. I bought, for the first time ever, an album of piano music. it is not sounding great on the Grado's. Charles Mingus and Hank Mobley sound great.

Lastly, head clamp pain kicked in after four hours, severely. Just like the B&W P5's. Hope that gets better.

The last, last observation is that the 3.5mm jack seems just a bit undersized. Pulls out of the DAP'S VERY easy.

Shane D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back