The Official Fiio E9 Thread with Video Unbox-Review
Nov 7, 2010 at 9:46 AM Post #151 of 752
Hi,

I do plan to purchase the E9 after it finally arrives in the UK.  Before then, I have a few questions regarding this:

1:  Does the E9 recharge the E7 while its docked to it?  From what I've read you lost most of the functions on the E7, but it would be nice if you can re-charge it
smily_headphones1.gif

2:  From the pictures, it seems like you just need to dock the E7 to reap its benefits on the E9, and no cables from the E7 to E9?
3:  Has anyone tried the 3.5mm pre-out socket?  Any good?  I would have thought that people would use the RCA output instead for most things.
4:  Has anyone tried to combine this with a tube amp?  I may connect the E7+E9 combo to my TubeMagic A1 out of curiosity when I get the E9
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #153 of 752

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0126471 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

3:  Has anyone tried the 3.5mm pre-out socket?  Any good?  I would have thought that people would use the RCA output instead for most things.
4:  Has anyone tried to combine this with a tube amp?  I may connect the E7+E9 combo to my TubeMagic A1 out of curiosity when I get the E9
smily_headphones1.gif

The 3.5mm Pre-out is volume controlled. So if you want to use the E9 as a pre-amp, the 3.5mm pre-out is perfect for this purpose. A good usage example would be connecting a pair of powered monitors.  The RCA outputs are not volume controlled, so if you have an device that has its own volume control, then the RCA outputs are a good choice. A good usage example would be with your tube-amp.

Jack

Nov 7, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #155 of 752

i'm really liking this combo as well. i mostly use the line out to my modest denon-klipsch 5.1 system. this is a nice piece of equiptment. plenty of power. i can most easliy describe the added emphasis with my headphones . i would like the on/off to work in unison also. i wind up setting and re-setting the 90 minute sleep timer

Nov 7, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #158 of 752
I honestly prefer the E7 without the casing, but I did have mine on for protection. Still, it takes like 3 seconds to slip back on anyways...

If you're like me who uses the E7 at home 99.9% of the time, there shouldn't be any issue leaving it docked... unless you plan on tossing your E9 around like a football. @_@ There won't be a need for the casing while it's docked.

Nov 7, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #159 of 752
Yes, but the E9 was designed (from an early stage) to go with the E7.  The same cannot be said for iPods and other Apple portable media devices.  This is why a few of them (JBL On stage micro, etc) come with multiple docking collars.  But the Fiio designed the E9 to go with the E7, so I was secretly hoping that the dock was built to accomodate a E7 + casing (the casing comes standard with the E7).

If the E9 was designed to go with the E3, E5 as well, then I would not have an issue
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #160 of 752

Quote:
I honestly prefer the E7 without the casing, but I did have mine on for protection. Still, it takes like 3 seconds to slip back on anyways...

If you're like me who uses the E7 at home 99.9% of the time, there shouldn't be any issue leaving it docked... unless you plan on tossing your E9 around like a football. @_@ There won't be a need for the casing while it's docked.

I was planning on purchasing 2x E9's - one for home, one at work.  I have the E7 + casing wrapped around a Touch which I use during travel.

Nov 7, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #161 of 752
I could see it being slightly annoying, but nowhere near being a deal breaker. The case comes on and off very easily and quickly for me anyway. Still, I see what you mean.

Nov 7, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #163 of 752
Seems like nobody has issues with the performance itself; just nitpicking on silly "inconveniences".

And for having x2 E9's and one E7; you leave yourself open for the chance of forgetting the E7 in a rush and then you have a useless E9 (unless you just happen to carry spare 3.5mm cables on you, but who would want to amp on-board sound?). If you're dropping the bomb on a second unit, I would feel better just leaving the transportation out of the picture.

I have been guilty of doing stuff like this though, and probably will with the E7/E9 when money allows for it.

Nov 7, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #164 of 752
so far i have no complaints about the performance. a very minor---annoyance is to strong a word.... the E7 staying on when the E9 is turned off. a few button presses to set the sleep timer and no need to worry about the E7 being on all the time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back