The Official Fiio E9 Thread with Video Unbox-Review
Nov 9, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #181 of 752

Quote:
So I don't have much experience with headphone amps, but after listening to my music on my Fiio E9 for a day I can confirm what others have said in this thread.  The Fiio E9 is a very neutral amp that doesn't color the music at all.  It's also extremely powerful.

But how would you know this?
If you are using the amp to fully realise the SQ of your headphones, then what are you comparing the "neutrality" to?

Anyway, does anyone know how this compares to other desktop amps, and other desktop amp/DACs? I'm really really interested, but I want to know I'm not throwing my money away on a 'toy' that does little for my SQ.

FYI I have an onboard soundcard, and my phone collection includes: re0, m50, hd668b, and HD-25-II
I also have a teclast player arriving, but am skeptical that it will be able to drive the m50s to their potential.
Also thinking of acquiring a k702 in the next year or so, and I've read the comment that they actually come alive with the e9?

Can any one give me some sort of objective comparison to other amps? Unfortunately it's not terribly helpful when it's a reviewer's first amp, or that they say it's great for the "price range" since that doesn't really give me any objective idea about how good it is.

aah. please. help. I. am. desperate. to. know. how. good. this. is.

Nov 9, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #182 of 752
Ugh. This isn't the only thread. Everyone who has it loves it. Trust me, you cannot get better for the money; nothing "thrown away" here.

Not very convincing I know. But I'm getting lazy after having repeated myself so many times...

Nov 9, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #183 of 752
I'll order one soon
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #184 of 752
This may be a stupid question but I was wondering if it hurts anything to have two sources connected at once.  I have my iMac connected via USB and a HD-A1 via RCA to 3.55mm cable.  The iMac and A1 are both powered on at the same time also.

The A1 direct to the E9 sounds like pure audio bliss btw.  Still VERY HAPPY with my purchase! 
dt880smile.png

Nov 9, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #185 of 752
Well, crap.  I WAS headed over to the full-size headphones forum this morning, then I saw a post regarding the E9, and now it's shipped.  Sorry, wallet.  Hearing of all the power inside this box makes me want to get back all the headphones I've sold and try them again.  This will be powering my HD600s and some incoming HFI-780s.  Question:  I got the impression somewhere along the way that the docking part would work with an iPod.  Is that true?  Are the connectors of the E7 and an iPod mutually exclusive?  This probably sounds like a stupid question (note:  I already have a uDAC, so I didn't buy the E7).

Nov 9, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #186 of 752

Quote:
Well, crap.  I WAS headed over to the full-size headphones forum this morning, then I saw a post regarding the E9, and now it's shipped.  Sorry, wallet.  Hearing of all the power inside this box makes me want to get back all the headphones I've sold and try them again.  This will be powering my HD600s and some incoming HFI-780s.  Question:  I got the impression somewhere along the way that the docking part would work with an iPod.  Is that true?  Are the connectors of the E7 and an iPod mutually exclusive?  This probably sounds like a stupid question (note:  I already have a uDAC, so I didn't buy the E7).

I think I read somewhere that an iPod dock is available, but it never stated that the E7/iPod dock socket are mutually exclusive.  I think its a 'replacement option/upgrade' thing.  It would be great if its a separate one on top of the E9 and recharges the iPod as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #189 of 752
The E9 was "born" onto the US literally 10 days ago. Some of the first orders fulfilled were probably received late last week. People typically like to spend some time with a piece of gear before writing a review. Some of them even make it a point not to engage in any discussions or even read what others have said about it. 

Other regions are slowly getting their E9 shipments as well, but some regions are still dealing with an ETA date. 

For now, Head-Fi is just about the only place where you can see any reviews about the E9. As time goes on, we will see other review sites pickup on this great piece of gear.

There is a great question asked earlier to the effect of: how do you know this is neutral, what do you have to compare it to?  The answer to me is that through listening experience we tend to know what a piece of traditional instrument should sound like. Something that sounds neutral would not accentuate or miss any thing to make these instruments sound unnatural. 

Jack

Nov 9, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #190 of 752
Also wanted to add to what Jack said in regards to transparency:

A transparent amp will make your headphones sound "better" and not "different". This also makes it neutral since there is no added color to your headphone's sound signature.

Nov 9, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #191 of 752

Quote:
Also wanted to add to what Jack said in regards to transparency:

A transparent amp will make your headphones sound "better" and not "different". This also makes it neutral since there is no added color to your headphone's sound signature.

Yes I gathered that it would metaphorically be like wiping the fog off a window. Anyway I pulled the trigger an hour ago because I'm studying for an exam and I just can't have the e9 nagging away in the back of my mind. After my last law exam tomorrow I'll be working all summer anyway. 

I figured I'd get the brainwavz M2 too, since it was only another $20 in the mp4nation combo pack. Getting the tips alone would cost me $10, and having them will spare me from putting my re0 in harms way while weight training.

Nov 10, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #193 of 752
Yeah I'm really interested to see how the speaker outputs are too. 

To clear up some confusion, the Fiio website explains that there will be an ipod connector, which presumably would be like a dock adaptor for where the E7 sits. Not sure if I'd personally go down that route though, since there's really nothing to be gained having my iphone in there, since I bought a $6 dock with digital line out.

The mp4nation deal is amazing though; for $190 
breaking it down it might look like:
- E9 amp -- $120  -- sounds very cheap for the quality of the desktop amp
- E7 portable amp/dac -- $50
- M2 headphones -- $20 (was given sonic diamond in multiple IEM shootout when $50)
Buying any of these at that price is pretty outstanding value-wise

Nov 10, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #194 of 752
The e9 looks pretty beefy. Also, it's pretty cool that you can dock the e7 onto it. Can't wait to see your final review on it.

Nov 10, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #195 of 752
I was considering also the mp4nation deal option (very tempting), even that I had already an E7. However, some horror histories about getting their stuff after 30 or even 60 days made me stay back, and ordered instead from micca store (at the $200 price bundle), since micca has nothing but good reputation here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back