The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Sep 18, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #5,536 of 10,994
Ive only tried SR-009 lol, and it was with a LL and mytek 192 setup. Now i know the LL is not the best amp for them, so some issues i found must of been cause of that.

Anyways i was really surprised by how good the SR-009 are, not the extra transparency or detail that caught my attention, but the speed and the transients, just absolutely zero congestion, everything remains separated and fully resolved, it was something that no dynamic or planar can do. Only the Hd 800 out of zana deux or gsx mk2 come close, but its still not the same. The transients where the most impressive thing, the speed, the drivers can fully resolve every single sound in a recording.

Well now I need one. 

Joking, I can't swing a SR-009. But I was considering trying out the 007.

Sep 18, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #5,537 of 10,994
DG, just curious, for all your love for dynamic headphones, did you ever curious to try electrostat? What's your opinion on stats? (Good or bad). I am very interested to try stats
smily_headphones1.gif

I went through the same phase and bought the 407 with a Stax 006t amp then added the 507 pads. I'm happy to have tried it but I came to the conclusion that unless you are prepared to go up to the 009's I prefer my dynamics. I will tell you that unless you have small ears you will not find the 407/507 remotely comfortable.Frankly I found the sound a bit sterile for my taste. You can get carried away with the speed  but in the end their mid-level phones just didn't do it for me.

Sep 18, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #5,538 of 10,994

Well now I need one.

Joking, I can't swing a SR-009. But I was considering trying out the 007.

I spent a little time with both (through the Woo electrostat amp) and of course was impressed. Easy to see (hear) how those are the endgame for many. But I was surprised that I mostly preferred the less expensive 007. It had a somewhat darker, richer, more easy-going tonality (yet with most of the usual Stax virtues). Just based on what I heard, for everything except classical, I'd take the 007.

Sep 18, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #5,539 of 10,994

I spent a little time with both (through the Woo electrostat amp) and of course was impressed. Easy to see (hear) how those are the endgame for many. But I was surprised that I mostly preferred the less expensive 007. It had a somewhat darker, richer, more easy-going tonality (yet with most of the usual Stax virtues). Just based on what I heard, for everything except classical, I'd take the 007.

mk1 or mk2?

Sep 18, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #5,541 of 10,994
Ive only tried SR-009 lol, and it was with a LL and mytek 192 setup. Now i know the LL is not the best amp for them, so some issues i found must of been cause of that.

Anyways i was really surprised by how good the SR-009 are, not the extra transparency or detail that caught my attention, but the speed and the transients, just absolutely zero congestion, everything remains separated and fully resolved, it was something that no dynamic or planar can do. Only the Hd 800 out of zana deux or gsx mk2 come close, but its still not the same. The transients where the most impressive thing, the speed, the drivers can fully resolve every single sound in a recording.

Actually, last time I tried most of high-end dynamic headphone and SR009, I think T1 has the most similiarity to 009, especially tone wise (009 win in term technicality of all aspect of course). HD800 sound a bit thin in comparison. Different set up with what you've tried though 
biggrin.gif

Sep 18, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #5,543 of 10,994
Actually, last time I tried most of high-end dynamic headphone and SR009, I think T1 has the most similiarity to 009, especially tone wise (009 win in term technicality of all aspect of course). HD800 sound a bit thin in comparison. Different set up with what you've tried though :D  

Maybe. I havent heard sr-009 at their best according to MH. I can say that the sound was slightly confused sounding and also bland and un-engaging, despite the clarity and detail. I am now assuming that this came from the LL amp and not the SR-009 themselves.

Im curious as to what the sr007 or sr009 would sound out of kgsshv or bhse, if i was looking for a stax setup thats what id be looking at.

Sep 18, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #5,544 of 10,994
Has anyone here tried Alo PanAm with T1? Is it a good pair?

I think there where a few comments on the pan am thread, it should be a good pairing as is the wa7.

Sep 18, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #5,545 of 10,994
  Has anyone here tried Alo PanAm with T1? Is it a good pair?

No, I do not think so. There is a need for external DAC as internal one is not very good on Pan Am. I am using this combo 
Meier Audio Daccord/AudioQuest King Cobra/Alo PanAm. I have tried couple of tubes(Siemens, Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV, Mullard CV4010)  with T1 and none of them satisfy me. For my taste all combinations are to bright. This could resolve more laid-back DAC as Meier Audio Daccord is strictly neutral/transparent sounding DAC. On the other hand LCD2 + Meier Audio Daccord/AudioQuest King Cobra/Alo PanAm is excellent match. I am not saying that Pan Am + T1 is the worst combo ever, but other AMPs in similar price can do better job. Many say that CORDA CLASSIC is very good match for T1. One last think, if you will go for Pan Am, buy also Passport, with out it Pan Am magic is gone.

Sep 18, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #5,546 of 10,994
Had a bit of a longer listening session last night with the T1's.

My initial impressions of odd timbre may have just been due to me getting used to the massively spacious sound as once I got used to that the timbre seemed fine. I'm very impressed with the T1's; absolutely fantastic cans.

I also tried them through my Project Ember and they sounded great through it as well (RCA tube pushed the mids a little more forward than through the Classic) 

Sep 18, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #5,547 of 10,994
Maybe. I havent heard sr-009 at their best according to MH. I can say that the sound was slightly confused sounding and also bland and un-engaging, despite the clarity and detail. I am now assuming that this came from the LL amp and not the SR-009 themselves.

Im curious as to what the sr007 or sr009 would sound out of kgsshv or bhse, if i was looking for a stax setup thats what id be looking at.

Yep, you really didn't hear the SR-009s anywhere their best IMO. Bland, confused (I'd call it smeared) and un-engaging....that was purely the LL. Listen to them on a KGSS or better still KGSSHV/BHSE and hold onto your seat. I know you know this from our previous conversations, but my comment here is really for other people's benefit. 
redface.gif

Mk 2 IIRC.

eek.gif

That's the problem with short term listening sessions. The MK2s are "meh" at best. The MK1s are a whole lot better...but on a great amp, I'd still take the SR-009s....oh wait...I did. 
tongue.gif

Sep 18, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #5,548 of 10,994
No, I do not think so. There is a need for external DAC as internal one is not very good on Pan Am. I am using this combo 
Meier Audio Daccord/AudioQuest King Cobra/Alo PanAm. I have tried couple of tubes(Siemens, Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV, Mullard CV4010)  with T1 and none of them satisfy me. For my taste all combinations are to bright. This could resolve more laid-back DAC as Meier Audio Daccord is strictly neutral/transparent sounding DAC. On the other hand LCD2 + Meier Audio Daccord/AudioQuest King Cobra/Alo PanAm is excellent match. I am not saying that Pan Am + T1 is the worst combo ever, but other AMPs in similar price can do better job. Many say that CORDA CLASSIC is very good match for T1. One last think, if you will go for Pan Am, buy also Passport, with out it Pan Am magic is gone.

Thanks I appreciate your input. The pan am looks attractive though with the DAC and the price. Any other amp recommendation at the same price point?

Sep 19, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #5,549 of 10,994
  Had a bit of a longer listening session last night with the T1's.

My initial impressions of odd timbre may have just been due to me getting used to the massively spacious sound as once I got used to that the timbre seemed fine. I'm very impressed with the T1's; absolutely fantastic cans.

I also tried them through my Project Ember and they sounded great through it as well (RCA tube pushed the mids a little more forward than through the Classic) 

I just had a short session with my Fischer FA-011 LEs before returning to the T1s. Coming straight from the Fischers, I did find the midrange (and therefore overall timbre) of the music quite different so I think I understand your earlier comments now. Not sure if the T1s are more accurate or less accurate to the true sound, but I definitely enjoy everything else they do and adjusted to their presentation of timber within 1-2 songs.

Sep 19, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #5,550 of 10,994

I just had a short session with my Fischer FA-011 LEs before returning to the T1s. Coming straight from the Fischers, I did find the midrange (and therefore overall timbre) of the music quite different so I think I understand your earlier comments now. Not sure if the T1s are more accurate or less accurate to the true sound, but I definitely enjoy everything else they do and adjusted to their presentation of timber within 1-2 songs.

I have a few questions for you if you have the time.

How does the Fischer FA-011LE fare compared to the T1 in your opinion? What are the most noticeable differences? I know the T1's are many times more in cost. Just some preliminary questions before I hear em.

I'm listening to the FA-011LE on Monday evening, and possibly budgeting a few weeks ahead to buy if they fit the sound I'm aiming for (all I know is that they are aggressive so far). I won't have the T1 with me though, but I should be able to take down my LCD2's, Amp/dac etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back