The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jul 23, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #4,891 of 10,994
Years ago I had the T1 paired up with the Beyer A1 amp(supposedly made specifically for the T1....sounds familiar doesn't it)....the T1 sounded great in large part because the output impedence was 100 .....unfortunately other headphones didn't like the A1 so well.....the Senn situation is like deja vu....

Jul 23, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #4,892 of 10,994
Quote:
Years ago I had the T1 paired up with the Beyer A1 amp(supposedly made specifically for the T1....sounds familiar doesn't it)....the T1 sounded great in large part because the output impedence was 100 .....unfortunately other headphones didn't like the A1 so well.....the Senn situation is like deja vu....

That's pretty interesting. Mathematically (based on their impedance curves), 100 ohms into a T1 would provide about the same treble reduction as 47 ohms into HD800.

But that amp would probably have sounded pretty bad on many other headphones. It seems that it would even probably pull a lot of the life out of HD800 as well (including making the lower bass rather anemic). Also at 100 ohms on a 300 ohm headphone (HD800), your damping factor is WAY down so dynamic control over the headphones is being lost as well.

Jul 23, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #4,894 of 10,994
apart from the amp. Any one knows the place to mod my T1 so it will have a socket that can accept removable cables?

Jul 23, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #4,895 of 10,994
I'm not so sure that Sennheiser didn't actually do something like this intentionally in their HDVD800. It wouldn't surprise me to see a couple of 47 ohm resistors in series with the output jacks :) 

(in fact, it that actually WERE the case, it would be interesting to see how well the amp worked on other headphones if those resisters were jumpered likely lowering the amps impedance to < 1 ohm)

It would be an interesting experiment. I would build an adapter between the T1 plug and the amp you are using though so that you could do the break out without modifying connections at the T1's plug. I don't know what kind of wire is being used in the T1 cables but if it is Litz wire, you could end up with a problem resoldering it back on to the connectors.

If you are using a single ended (i.e., Phone type) connector, do NOT put the resistor on the ground return. This will cross couple the signals between the left and right channels and WILL be audible as a degradation in sound. Get two matching resistors (one for each channel) and put them in the signal leads.

If you are using a balanced configuration, put the resistor representing the amp's impedance on one of the signal leads for each channel and make sure that the shield is NOT connected through to the amp in your breakout adapter. 

Also remember, the only reason that this trick works is because the impedance curve of the headphones is not flat. The effective reduction in the treble region will also cause some reductions in the very low bass for the T1 also, so it is a trade off. And as you increase the resistor value, the damping factor will also drop. I don't know at what point (if any) you might get degradation of sound based on this, but that is what the experiment would be for :)

Jul 24, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #4,896 of 10,994
Hi,

I don't remember the T1 very well and didn't have it on for a long time. 

a) How is the fit? Is it similar to the T90 where the cups do not pressure but the middle top holds all the weight? 
b) How is the subbass extension compared to the D7000 or even TH-900?
c) Bass Quantity, impact, slam compared to K701/Q701 etc.?
d) Don't kill me yet. I am trying to rebuild my living room headphone gaming/movie setup (selling the Sig DJ for that) and do not want to move my TH-900 around or drag them around in anyway. The T1 should be more forgiving than the HD 800 and I want a pairing with the Mixamp if I play on consoles. From what I read in this thread it's rather good. Haven't tried the HD 800 pairing though but I am very doubtful.

This is all just pure theory. I could get a TH-600 as well but I know how damn good Beyerdynamic Headphones do imaging and I want something reliable (Beyerdynamic has 20 years parts service) for this setup.

Jul 24, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #4,897 of 10,994
That's really interesting what you write there, wisemanja... otoh it makes me want to get one after reading Jude's piece about the McIntosh D100 in the buying guide cause he likes the sound with the HD800 and also says its output impedance is the same 47Ohm as the HDVD800.  Also that thing is gorgeous...

Jul 24, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #4,898 of 10,994
Quote:
Hi,

I don't remember the T1 very well and didn't have it on for a long time. 

a) How is the fit? Is it similar to the T90 where the cups do not pressure but the middle top holds all the weight? 
b) How is the subbass extension compared to the D7000 or even TH-900?
c) Bass Quantity, impact, slam compared to K701/Q701 etc.?
d) Don't kill me yet. I am trying to rebuild my living room headphone gaming/movie setup (selling the Sig DJ for that) and do not want to move my TH-900 around or drag them around in anyway. The T1 should be more forgiving than the HD 800 and I want a pairing with the Mixamp if I play on consoles. From what I read in this thread it's rather good. Haven't tried the HD 800 pairing though but I am very doubtful.

This is all just pure theory. I could get a TH-600 as well but I know how damn good Beyerdynamic Headphones do imaging and I want something reliable (Beyerdynamic has 20 years parts service) for this setup.

The fit is very comfortable, but the ear cup is a bit smaller compare to HD800, so it is not as comfortable. But due to that fact, it is not as easy to fall as the HD800 also.

Never tried TH900, but from what I hear from a 2 hour listening experience of D7000, there are nothing alike. If you are after some really colored sound like those Japanese phones, T1 is too cold for you. If the recording has no subbass, the phone will tend to have ZERO subbass. I found the mid is much more clear in T1 due to the lack of subbass, so I it is a matter of taste again.

As for bass, T1 has more quantities compare to HD800 and even more compare to K701. The extension goes very very deep. Texture is also HD800 level and K701 seems to be a bit short compare to T1. As a 600 ohm phone, is it actually easier to amp compare to HD800, but I found their sound signature are very similar. The only difference I get it the sound stage presentation, HD800 tends to have much forward mid. Depends on recordings, one will sounds better than the other, but the detail level are about the same. HDVD800 amp happens to work perfectly for both phones to me.

If you want it for gaming and moive, I think save a bit on the headphone and get a better system is better. Checkout the Headzone bundle on  bereyerdynamic site. You can get the phone+ amp + DTS for about $1700 (not with T1 thought, but DT series are good enough for these applications). I think the headzone works with all phones as long as they are single ended. But you would want the head tracker for the fun~~~~~

Jul 24, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #4,899 of 10,994
Quote:
Thanks for the words of support Dubstep Girl, Wapiti, and zilch0md.

Beyer did take good care of me. I shipped the cans on Monday, they got to Sound Surgeon in Long Island on Wednesday morning.

By Wednesday afternoon, I received return ship notification. Got the cans back today, the following Saturday.

Beyer honored the warranty, replacing the headband and the right driver assembly.

My serial number was 8502. It's now 11401.

Cans work as well as they did when I got 'em. I'm still a little in awe at the sound of this system, but wary about when it'll fall apart again.

All's well in the end. The honeymoon's over, but I suppose that happens with all gadget infatuations, sooner or later.

My T1 is 85XX and also appear to have a dead left driver. Gonna RMA it today. Wonder if they have some problem with the 85XX batch~~~ I got it from Amazon.com during the massive discount~~~~

Jul 24, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #4,900 of 10,994
I got a closer 82XX T1. Drivers are still working fine, but the damn headband just cant stay fixed in one place. I wear the headband 5 notches up and, say half an hour later, the right side may be at 4 1/2 notches and left side may be 4 notches up.
frown.gif

Jul 24, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #4,901 of 10,994
I got a closer 82XX T1. Drivers are still working fine, but the damn headband just cant stay fixed in one place. I wear the headband 5 notches up and, say half an hour later, the right side may be at 4 1/2 notches and left side may be 4 notches up. :frowning2:

Lol, that is a known issues.even with mine brand new, they tend to be like this. I guess just do not shake your head too much when you listen to music.(I know it is very hard for t1 user though......cause it rock h you pretty hard

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #4,902 of 10,994
Hey guys, a question if you don't mind:

I'm considering getting this phone, finally going from mid-tier cans (Shure 940, AKG 702, Grado 225i, Senn 595, BD 770) which I have used since I got into this hobby 7 years ago (I'm mostly a speaker guy but do love cans also) to upper tier and would like some feedback on how my current amps would do with this can. I have a Head Direct EF1 that I think would do well with it (since the EF5 is supposed to and the EF1 is basically the same thing, the older version) and also a M-Stage. Just wondering if either of these amps would be able to drive the T1's well. I'm not worried about ultimate synergy, that I could look for later, just that the T1 wouldn't sound dismal with either of these amps.

Also, the best price I can find on these is $950 (out of box); or am I missing some deal somewhere? I am willing to buy used but prefer not to: $950 is acceptable, just wondering if there is a better price out there for new, new out of box/b-stock/whatever.

Thanks, and this looks to be a fantastic can that would accord well with my sound signature tastes, one that could very well be my last can, at least for a good while.
beyersmile.png

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #4,903 of 10,994
Quote:
Hey guys, a question if you don't mind:

I'm considering getting this phone, finally going from mid-tier cans (Shure 940, AKG 702, Grado 225i, Senn 595, BD 770) which I have used since I got into this hobby 7 years ago (I'm mostly a speaker guy but do love cans also) to upper tier and would like some feedback on how my current amps would do with this can. I have a Head Direct EF1 that I think would do well with it (since the EF5 is supposed to and the EF1 is basically the same thing, the older version) and also a M-Stage. Just wondering if either of these amps would be able to drive the T1's well. I'm not worried about ultimate synergy, that I could look for later, just that the T1 wouldn't sound dismal with either of these amps.

Also, the best price I can find on these is $950 (out of box); or am I missing some deal somewhere? I am willing to buy used but prefer not to: $950 is acceptable, just wondering if there is a better price out there for new, new out of box/b-stock/whatever.

Thanks, and this looks to be a fantastic can that would accord well with my sound signature tastes, one that could very well be my last can, at least for a good while.
beyersmile.png

The T1's should do OK on those amps, but they will transform into a totally different beast with a high impedance OTL amplifier.

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #4,904 of 10,994
Quote:
The T1's should do OK on those amps, but they will transform into a totally different beast with a high impedance OTL amplifier.

Thanks, never did really pay much attention to impedance/etc. I'm not a huge believer in amps either, amp/receiver and even DAP outs often do well imo. There are just different sound signatures to each.

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #4,905 of 10,994
Quote:

true that. I love them on the WA2. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back