The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 23, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #4,292 of 10,994
Quote:
Thanks for your feedback once again rusta, you've been really helpful when I've asked for your opinion in other threads.

I've narrowed my choices down to those 3, and I've decided to get the t1 for the following reasons. I ruled out the HD 800 because its a little over my budget even for a used pair. And like you've pointed out before, the LCD, though boasting outstanding sonic qualities, falls short in terms of comfort and ergonomics. The build quality of the t1 is superb, and it's relatively light compared to the LCDs. I've read several reviews and most if not all praised the t1 for comfort and sonics. The only drawback in terms of ergonomic IMO is the non removable cable. But that shouldn't be much of an issue unless it breaks and I'm not also into custom cables.

That said, I can't wait to listen to Taylor swift whine about her exes and break ups with the t1

beerchug.gif

May 23, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #4,293 of 10,994
Quote:
Thanks for your feedback once again rusta, you've been really helpful when I've asked for your opinion in other threads.

I've narrowed my choices down to those 3, and I've decided to get the t1 for the following reasons. I ruled out the HD 800 because its a little over my budget even for a used pair. And like you've pointed out before, the LCD, though boasting outstanding sonic qualities, falls short in terms of comfort and ergonomics. The build quality of the t1 is superb, and it's relatively light compared to the LCDs. I've read several reviews and most if not all praised the t1 for comfort and sonics. The only drawback in terms of ergonomic IMO is the non removable cable. But that shouldn't be much of an issue unless it breaks and I'm not also into custom cables.

That said, I can't wait to listen to Taylor swift whine about her exes and break ups with the t1

I think you made the right choice... T1 should offer you all - comfort, ergonomy and built, reasonable neutrality while having more "fun" bass (but still linear), quality soundstage.

I think you will have a perfect opportunity to listen, analyze and find out what is the best for you - if you want to go for a bit warmer, a bit more technically advanced or just the same type of sound you have in Beyers :)

Remember that T1 do not have flat impedance curve... If you find them to be a bit bright, find out an amplifier with higher output impedance to get a bit warmer signature. The lowest impedance value of T1 is around 600 - 615ohm appr., therefore 600/8 = 75ohm. Choosing an amplifier of output impedance up to around 75ohm should provide you with 100% precise sound while boosting bass a bit, warming up the overall signature.

Beyer designed their own amp of 120ohm impedance but that's only a damping factor of 5 which I dont think is completely suitable. Well, they know T1 the best, I suppose...

EDIT: You can always raise output impedance using resistors (do a special adapter and insert between your amp and headphone cable), of course...

May 23, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #4,294 of 10,994
Quote:
So what's your choice of amp for LCD3 to beat T1 with WA2?

Pretty much any good amp that can supply constant current and about 2W per channel (except fo the Lyr...that wasn't he greatest match). On a budget, the Schiit Mjolinir would be a fantastic choice for under $1k.

May 23, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #4,295 of 10,994
Quote:

i find the T1 to be more natural rather than artificial sounding. the hd 800 can sound more artificial due to the soundstage, sometimes it just spreads things out way too much. neither hd 800 or t1 are perfect at conveying a sense of realism.

I found the DT880s VERY artificial sounding...especially in the treble. 

May 23, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #4,296 of 10,994
we talking T1 here though. 

i was never too impressed with the lower beyers.

May 23, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #4,297 of 10,994
Quote:
we talking T1 here though. 

i was never too impressed with the lower beyers.

I know, I really like the T1s (more so than the HE-6s). The only lower end beyers that I've heard that I like are the DT1350s. I have it from a good source that the T90s are also winners.

May 23, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #4,298 of 10,994
May 23, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #4,300 of 10,994
Quote:
I know, I really like the T1s (more so than the HE-6s). The only lower end beyers that I've heard that I like are the DT1350s. I have it from a good source that the T90s are also winners.

Even people who are typically anti-Beyer seem to really appreciate the 1350s...I've had mine for over a year and would be lost without them. 

I've said several times that I actually consider them to be dollar-for-dollar the better phone vs the T1s, and I love the T1s. 

May 23, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #4,301 of 10,994
Quote:

Even people who are typically anti-Beyer seem to really appreciate the 1350s...I've had mine for over a year and would be lost without them. 

I've said several times that I actually consider them to be dollar-for-dollar the better phone vs the T1s, and I love the T1s. 

I love the DT1350s and T1s....and Frank I swears the T90s are keepers (and he and I tend to hear things fairly closely too).

May 23, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #4,302 of 10,994
May 23, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #4,303 of 10,994
Quote:
I love the DT1350s and T1s....and Frank I swears the T90s are keepers (and he and I tend to hear things fairly closely too).

I've seen Frank post a lot over at the Audio Circle, as well...both you and he are two of the posters I rely on the most in terms of feedback on phones....doesn't surprise me that you guys have similar taste!

May 23, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #4,305 of 10,994
Quote:
Not so much less treble, just less "metallic" treble that I really disliked on the DT880s. Very tin-like sounding headphones.

And a bit more bass , and fuller/warmer mids
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back