The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 7, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #3,871 of 10,994
Quote:
I think those who love the T1 are among a minority that's defined by a difference in sonic taste - specifically, a taste for sound that's uncolored, neutral, detailed, and quite simply...  accurate.

Without taking any surveys and with nothing to go on but my personal assessment of the Head-Fi community at large, I think the majority of Head-Fi, even among those with very expensive rigs, prefer a warmer, darker, smoother, inaccurate sound than what the T1 delivers when using equally neutral and transparent sources. 

Even among T1 owners we have people using tube amps, tube DACs, and tube buffers ahead of solid state amps.  Why?  Because the majority of people prefer a warmer, darker, smoother, less accurate sound.   

The T1 is, in my opinion, the only truly "reference" headphone I've heard to date.  It's very, very good at adding almost nothing to the signal.  And for that, it's shunned.

Mike

I feel the same or similar.  Uppers isn't as accurate as I like it to be but still very good.  I just love the bass on this thing.  Have it on ss as well.

new WA2/T1 owner here with a naive question:

is there a "go-to" vendor for re-cabling the T1? I think the Beyerdynamic cable is nice, but I wouldn't mind a removable cable myself.

Mine was recabled and balanced by aphroditecu29.  It was very well done.  I only wish I have bought extra length since over time, my desk configuration/bed configuration changes.

You can always buy aftermarket cables, then go to your local electronic or audio shop and they'll do it.  This Chinese audio/video place installs them for less than 10 dollars when I asked;  And they were willing to install connectors bought from elsewhere.

O snap, 500th post, I'm an audio pro now.

Apr 7, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #3,872 of 10,994
Quote:

There's lots of options.  

Moon Audio

http://aphroditecu29.com/Zeus/Zeus_Headphone_Cable.aspx

http://www.btg-audio.com/

I bought an aftermarket cable from Norse Audio and had a Head Fi friend install it.

What serial number do you have? My mesh covering seems to be dull compared to yours lol. I'm in the 5k region.

Apr 7, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #3,874 of 10,994
Quote:

I feel the same or similar.  Uppers isn't as accurate as I like it to be but still very good.  I just love the bass on this thing.  Have it on ss as well.

Mine was recabled and balanced by aphroditecu29.  It was very well done.  I only wish I have bought extra length since over time, my desk configuration/bed configuration changes.

You can always buy aftermarket cables, then go to your local electronic or audio shop and they'll do it.  This Chinese audio/video place installs them for less than 10 dollars when I asked;  And they were willing to install connectors bought from elsewhere.

O snap, 500th post, I'm an audio pro now.

What SS amp you running the T1 with? I feel you on the cable length, I knew Beyerdynamic made it a stock 10 ft. cable for a reason, as opposed to the standard 6 ft. of aftermarket cables. Those 4 ft. make all the difference in the world. Luckily I had the foresight to get a 10 ft. cable from Moon Audio. Could I have gotten a plain old extension? Sure, but where's the fun in that? :p

Congrats on your 500th post.

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #3,876 of 10,994
Quote:
new WA2/T1 owner here with a naive question:

is there a "go-to" vendor for re-cabling the T1? I think the Beyerdynamic cable is nice, but I wouldn't mind a removable cable myself.

Case in point here. New owner of the T1 using it with the WA2. In my book that is a Summit rig if there ever was one. Lot's of HD800 and WA2 owners in the Summit thread. The logic of this discrimination completely escapes me? The Koss ESP950 gets a Summit thread and it goes for less than $1000 including the amp. Where is the logic in this?

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #3,877 of 10,994
We demand a recount !!!!!
eek.gif

Apr 7, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #3,881 of 10,994
Quote:
I think i'll buy a T1 (upgrade from SRH840) but i'm a little worried about the non-detachable cable :/ (thoughs and tips on that anyone?)

The stock cable is of very high quality, I doubt you will feel the need to upgrade it before you do with your sources and amps. I believe its wiring is already balanced so if you change the plug from stock 6.3 to XLR you get yourself a balanced T1. Not quite sure on this though since I've never had balanced headphones before.

Apr 8, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #3,882 of 10,994
Quote:
I think those who love the T1 are among a minority that's defined by a difference in sonic taste - specifically, a taste for sound that's uncolored, neutral, detailed, and quite simply...  accurate.

Without taking any surveys and with nothing to go on but my personal assessment of the Head-Fi community at large, I think the majority of Head-Fi, even among those with very expensive rigs, prefer a warmer, darker, smoother, inaccurate sound than what the T1 delivers when using equally neutral and transparent sources. 

Even among T1 owners we have people using tube amps, tube DACs, and tube buffers ahead of solid state amps.  Why?  Because the majority of people prefer a warmer, darker, smoother, less accurate sound.   

The T1 is, in my opinion, the only truly "reference" headphone I've heard to date.  It's very, very good at adding almost nothing to the signal.  And for that, it's shunned.

Mike

This is pretty much exactly what I found as well. Mind you I haven't heard the SR009.

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #3,884 of 10,994
Hi guys, I'am thinking about buying T1's. Could you tell me your opinion on what is good price when looking for used non-balanced T1's ?

Apr 8, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #3,885 of 10,994

Users who are viewing this thread

Back