The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Mar 18, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #3,811 of 10,994
Quote:
I finally got a chance to spend some time with a pair of T1s, driven by Glenn's OTL.  This is one fine headphone.  I didn't fine them exaggerated anywhere and they were not fatiguing at all.  The detail they produce is excellent and they produce a nice bass.  I also listened to a pair of HD800s at the same time and I enjoyed the T1s a lot more.  I need to get myself a pair of these.

There is something magical with the OTL and the T1 - I think they sound great together. The Valhalla and the Crack share the topology and I've had similar results.

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #3,812 of 10,994
If any of you are interested in these, I have one with mint condition to sell, just got them, too bright with my dac-mini so decided to sell them. Literally 1 hour on-head time. Just want to help whoever want these save some money.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/655673/new-beyerdynamic-t1-1-day-old-for-sale

Mar 23, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #3,814 of 10,994
Just got my T1 recently, Initially I was kinds of disappointed when driven by my nuforce HDP, I guess HDP is just not having enough power to get the most out of T1 and I prefer my HD650 when driven by HDP. With T1 it's just too bright and dry for me.  I have then bought a Neko D100 MK II and hoping that the smooth and slightly warm Neko can ease some of the "harsh" up edge. Now 
I am also going to get a OTL tube, considering WA2 or WA6SE at moment. The only problem is it's really hard to find a used Woo Audio here in EU. Other choice can be a SPL Auditor, Violectric V200, or Burson Soloist, Would really appreciate any comment! 

Mar 23, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #3,815 of 10,994
Quote:
Just got my T1 recently, Initially I was kinds of disappointed when driven by my nuforce HDP, I guess HDP is just not having enough power to get the most out of T1 and I prefer my HD650 when driven by HDP. With T1 it's just too bright and dry for me.  I have then bought a Neko D100 MK II and hoping that the smooth and slightly warm Neko can ease some of the "harsh" up edge. Now 
I am also going to get a OTL tube, considering WA2 or WA6SE at moment. The only problem is it's really hard to find a used Woo Audio here in EU. Other choice can be a SPL Auditor, Violectric V200, or Burson Soloist, Would really appreciate any comment! 

The HDP was pretty bad with the T1s when I heard the pairing. It was only slightly better than my iPad. I'd only recommend the HDP for low impedance and highly efficient (non-ortho) dynamic headphones. 

Mar 24, 2013 at 5:31 AM Post #3,816 of 10,994
Quote:

I'm using a Decware OTL CSP2+ amp with the Beyer T1.

Most DACs are bright sounding so the T1 being a transparent pair of cans works great with tube amps.

Mar 24, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #3,817 of 10,994
I was quite happy with my HDP + HD650 combine, until I found a T1 offer I can not say no. 
Now I ended up in upgrading my whole system! 
It's so hard to find any demo store in UK that I can test my T1 with different headphone amps, and tube headphone amp is not popular at all in this country. 

Mar 24, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #3,818 of 10,994
After lots of trying and "delusions" these are my findings about powering the T1 by increasing quality order:

1. T1/Icon HDP : no good, too bright and insufficient power.
  2. T1/ Icon HDP DAC/ WA2 : way better, plenty of power and control but sometimes depending on quality recordings still slightly piercing. T1 Wa2 great synergy anyway.
  3. T1/Rudistor DAC X3/ WA2 : this DAC being much more musical but very detailed is now giving the T1 the appropriate "instructions" to deliver amazing listening pleasure.
  4. T1/Rudistor DAC X3/Rudistor RPX-35 (as preamp)/Wa2: NIRVANA. Amazing power (Wa2 knob at slightly less then 9), total control of the deepest octaves and higher frequencies. Just perfect.
I was so amazed by this combo that I wrote a review you can read here:
http://www.head-fi.org/g/a/746897/review-rudistor-sound-systems-audio-chain/

Hope it helps!

Mar 24, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #3,819 of 10,994
Thanks DoReMi !
That's a lot of useful information here. Looks like I am at the lowest level (HDP/T1) at moment : )
Last week I bought the Neko D100 MK2 DAC and M2TECH Evo USB/SPDIF.  Not sure how it compares with Rudistor DAC X3 but already better than HDP DAC I was use. I have to admit that I am a newbie here but how can using a preamp for feeding WA2 improve the performance? by amplifying the input signal strength for WA2?

Mar 24, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #3,820 of 10,994
Quote:
Thanks DoReMi !
That's a lot of useful information here. Looks like I am at the lowest level (HDP/T1) at moment : )
Last week I bought the Neko D100 MK2 DAC and M2TECH Evo USB/SPDIF.  Not sure how it compares with Rudistor DAC X3 but already better than HDP DAC I was use. I have to admit that I am a newbie here but how can using a preamp for feeding WA2 improve the performance? by amplifying the input signal strength for WA2?

Yes that's one thing for shure, but on top of that is the lucky combination of musical personality of RPX-35 and warmness of the WA2.
Now the T1 has wonderful deep articulated bass and controlled highs, while the middle range is present and perfectly transparent. T1 finally shines as it deserves.

Mar 31, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #3,821 of 10,994
Just got a rebuilt SP Extreme, an amp long forgotten here on these forums (and unfortunately for good reason). Up to this point my Decware CSP2+ has been, by far, my preferred amp with the T1's. The W2's I auditioned were on a similar level. The SP Extreme is, in my opinion, a better amp than the CSP2+ and this is saying a great deal as I consider the decware to be among the most versatile and best valued audio products around. The Singlepower is one of those anomalous tube amps that has the speed and detail extraction of a solid state, without sacrificing that warm, midrange goodness we all love in a good tube. It also boasts one of the largest soundstages I've heard from any amp, and is on the same playing field as my Zana, if just a little short on depth. It certainly makes the T1 less forgiving than the CSP2+ and possibly sacrifices a bit on weight, but the additions to  speed, texture and soundstage make for a superb listen. I use three Genalex Gold Lions in my CSP2+, which allow the T1 to extract a ton of detail and the SP is right there comparatively, or it's too close to call at the moment. Anyone still own their singlepowers or heard this combo? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back