The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Mar 7, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #3,796 of 10,994
Quote:
+1 The T1's are awesome at impact and soundstaging for movies.

Definitley...and I find them supremely comfortable, as well. The T1s aren't light in weight, but the weight is distributed so efficiently that I really can't even tell I have them on. On top of that, the velour is plushy and soft. Those two factors combined mean that I can wear them for hours with no problem at all. In fact, this is probably the one headphone I own that I actually LIKE to have on my head. Love these phones. 

Spark3: I don' tknow what you want to spend, but check out Meier audio. I bought mine from Jan in a package deal, which was an insanely good price, but he sells the T1s by themselves for under $1k USD shipped. On top of that, he's one of the good guys in audio...I plan to do more business with him soon when I upgrade to his Corda Classic amp and Daccord. 

Mar 7, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #3,797 of 10,994
Quote:

Definitley...and I find them supremely comfortable, as well. The T1s aren't light in weight, but the weight is distributed so efficiently that I really can't even tell I have them on. On top of that, the velour is plushy and soft. Those two factors combined mean that I can wear them for hours with no problem at all. In fact, this is probably the one headphone I own that I actually LIKE to have on my head. Love these phones. 

Spark3: I don' tknow what you want to spend, but check out Meier audio. I bought mine from Jan in a package deal, which was an insanely good price, but he sells the T1s by themselves for under $1k USD shipped. On top of that, he's one of the good guys in audio...I plan to do more business with him soon when I upgrade to his Corda Classic amp and Daccord. 

I find the T1's weight pretty acceptable. My problems are with the adjustment bars which often feel sluggish and imprecise and the velour ear pads which suck up dust like a friggin vacuum, not to mention they actually feel less comfortable than the velour in the DT line. I love the super thick leather headband though, the T1 is the first headphone I can wear for hours without any discomfort on the top of my head, and I have returned good sounding headphones because of this problem.  

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #3,798 of 10,994
I find the T1's weight pretty acceptable. My problems are with the adjustment bars which often feel sluggish and imprecise and the velour ear pads which suck up dust like a friggin vacuum, not to mention they actually feel less comfortable than the velour in the DT line. I love the super thick leather headband though, the T1 is the first headphone I can wear for hours without any discomfort on the top of my head, and I have returned good sounding headphones because of this problem.  

Yep me too. Headphones I have gotten rid of for being uncomfortable - Hifiman HE-6, DT770, K702 and Grado 325i.

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #3,799 of 10,994
I've been through a lot of headphones including the HE500 and Stax Lamda 4170 series and nothing compares to the comfort of the T1's. I sold both of those because of the comfort issue. If I can't wear them for hours and enjoy the music then it doesn't work for me. There are things to like about the HE500 and the stax lamda but I found myself always coming back to my T1's so I guess I have found the T1's as the long term keeper. I still plan to go for a stax 009 system to have a trade off but I am sure I will always keep my T1's they do just about everything right and very comfortable to boot. My taste runs mostly to classical music and the T1's always pull me into the performance.

Mar 8, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #3,800 of 10,994
I just posted this in a folow up post to my ICAN review about using the T1s with this new amp:

I have had some more time with the Beyer T1s and the iCAN, and it is making me appreciate the lower ("one dot") setting on the 3D effects switch. I was intrigued that Vincent from iFi said he mostly listened to this setting, as on the HD650s it is kind of soft and muted although the music is nicely focused and unified. But the T1s tend to be very bright to my ears with already pretty good soundstage so the high end boost and space infusion of the "three dot" upper setting is simply too much on a lot of music. So I spent some time with the switch down on the one dot setting and found that with this very deifferent effect, the T1s became very easy to listen to. The upper setting is a bit like the Ferrari in my car metaphor: tremendous potential but a bit finicky and difficult to get the most out of it. The lower setting is more like a big luxury sedan that you can just relax and enjoy. Still a nice taut and powerful ride, but a lot of comfort and ease also. The Ferrari can be incredibly stimulating and fun, but not necessarily something you want to spend days and days of driving with.

So the T1s with the full on 3D effect work best with simple ensemble music (say 1-5 musicians) where the added space and detail creates that spooky real sense of the sound being in the room. With more complicated music or with music that already has a lot of room ambience in the original recording, the sound gets a little scattered. And with overly bright recordings the sound gets a little too edgy. But then I just reach over and switch to the one dot setting and everything calms down and is much more forgiving. Again it is a sound you could listen to for hours. The little bit of crossfeed makes it much easier on your brain to just take in the flow of the music and not have to work so hard at keeping everything sorted.

In contrast the HD650s seem to need that injection of adrenaline and space that the three dot setting provides. Otherwise they can seem kind of thick and heavy. So with these phones, it is much more of a set it and forget it proposition. Mostly I just leave the switch up in the three dot position and listen from there. Only very occasionally does a song come on that has me wanting to tone things down a bit and now I go to the one dot setting for my dose of relaxation.

Instead of just one sound signature, I seem to like a lot of variety of sounds, which typically means reaching for a different set of headphones. But with this amp, I can just flick a switch when I get restless and experience a new gestalt to the music instantly.

Mar 12, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #3,801 of 10,994
Received my T1's this morning and I am blown away. Coming from Grado PS500's, the first improvement I noticed was the soundstage, which is spacious and wide open by comparison. I played 'Apocalypse' by Bill Callahan and it felt like he was performing right in front of me. The Grado's are no slouch at conveying an authentic-sounding acoustic guitar, but these are something else. I'm pairing them with a Graham Slee Ultra Linear and apparently this isn't an ideal match. Can't wait to hear them with tubes.

Mar 12, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #3,802 of 10,994
Quote:
Received my T1's this morning and I am blown away. Coming from Grado PS500's, the first improvement I noticed was the soundstage, which is spacious and wide open by comparison. I played 'Apocalypse' by Bill Callahan and it felt like he was performing right in front of me. The Grado's are no slouch at conveying an authentic-sounding acoustic guitar, but these are something else. I'm pairing them with a Graham Slee Ultra Linear and apparently this isn't an ideal match. Can't wait to hear them with tubes.

YEES YES YES!!!!@#@!#@!#@!!#!@#!
biggrin.gif

now u need a woo audio 2 
wink.gif

Mar 12, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #3,804 of 10,994
....And WA2 purchased.  Waiting for the new toys to get here is always the hardest part.

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #3,805 of 10,994
Quote:
I don't think I'll be getting one any time soon
redface.gif
You never see them for sale in Europe and they're just too expensive to import from the States. I was thinking a Valhalla or possibly a WA3.

WA3 would be a good choice as well (with tube upgrades)

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #3,806 of 10,994
Received my T1 a couple weeks ago. Currently driving it with an E17/E9K (Currently saving up for a decent amp).
Learned about TB Isone a week ago and been playing with it. I've never heard 'out of your head' sound like this before. It's blowing my mind. Does it get better with a SPL Phonitor?
I hope not. I don't want to open my wallet...

Mar 13, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #3,807 of 10,994
I've been powering my T1s with an SPL Auditor (black dragon cable, nice Oyaide XLRs, Black Sand power cable, voltage regulator) for a few years now and they still blow me away. It feels pretty good to be "done."
beyersmile.png

Mar 13, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #3,808 of 10,994
Quote:
. It feels pretty good to be "done."
beyersmile.png

+1

im completely satisfied with my WA2, only upgrade i'm looking at is the WA22. 

Mar 17, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #3,809 of 10,994
I finally got a chance to spend some time with a pair of T1s, driven by Glenn's OTL.  This is one fine headphone.  I didn't fine them exaggerated anywhere and they were not fatiguing at all.  The detail they produce is excellent and they produce a nice bass.  I also listened to a pair of HD800s at the same time and I enjoyed the T1s a lot more.  I need to get myself a pair of these.

Mar 18, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #3,810 of 10,994
Quote:
I've been powering my T1s with an SPL Auditor (black dragon cable, nice Oyaide XLRs, Black Sand power cable, voltage regulator) for a few years now and they still blow me away. It feels pretty good to be "done."
beyersmile.png

Quote:
im completely satisfied with my WA2, only upgrade i'm looking at is the WA22. 

I feel the same about my T1 with V200 atm. 
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back