The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Oct 26, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #3,331 of 10,994
Hi,

I want to ask you about amps for this headphone. The "official" amp is quite expensive (for me). Can anybody who has the T1 recomend an amp for less money? Is there any amp that would work fine with these headphones for less than 300 eur?

Thanks for your answers in advance,

Daniel

Schiit asgard or graham slee novo would drive it sufficiently, refinement wise yes it's still not quite enough

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #3,332 of 10,994
Quote:
Hi,

I want to ask you about amps for this headphone. The "official" amp is quite expensive (for me). Can anybody who has the T1 recomend an amp for less money? Is there any amp that would work fine with these headphones for less than 300 eur?

Daniel

M-Stage / Lovely Cube , or Lake People G103-S.

Oct 27, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #3,333 of 10,994
Hi,

I'll toss in a vote for the Matrix M-Stage. Despite it's modest price this amp is a serious performer. Also despite the T1 being 600Ohms, they aren't that hard to amp at all. I think people are put off by the high impedance and price of this headphone. Just because it's expensive doesn't mean it need a pricey amp. Heck, some of the lower end Audio-GD amps can drive it well.

The M-Stage is a easy recommendation for me. It's versatile, powerful, affordable, and sounds great. It also sounds nearly the same as the Black Cube Linear to me. Some might not agree but I'd say it rivals amps in the $600 range. It's a true bargain.

Quote:
Hi,

Daniel

Oct 29, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #3,335 of 10,994
Quote:
 Also despite the T1 being 600Ohms, they aren't that hard to amp at all. I think people are put off by the high impedance and price of this headphone. Just because it's expensive doesn't mean it need a pricey amp. 

I agree with this. That's a big reason why I always suggest the Meier combo. A brand new shiny T1 plus any of Jan's amps for a steal. Even his little Rock amp will drive the T1s just fine. You can get the T1 and one of his amps for less than the MSRP of the headphones in other places. 

But anyway, yeah, the point is that ZX is right...you don't need to break the bank to amp these guys if you're not in a postion to get something like that right now. 

Oct 29, 2012 at 7:27 AM Post #3,336 of 10,994
Quote:

I agree with this. That's a big reason why I always suggest the Meier combo. A brand new shiny T1 plus any of Jan's amps for a steal. Even his little Rock amp will drive the T1s just fine. You can get the T1 and one of his amps for less than the MSRP of the headphones in other places. 

But anyway, yeah, the point is that ZX is right...you don't need to break the bank to amp these guys if you're not in a postion to get something like that right now. 

This is true.  Also,  my T1s run really well on all my DIY amps.  

Oct 29, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #3,337 of 10,994
So my friend is going to purchase the T1. However he has told me that he won't be buying an amp because he's sure that the sound card that he uses will be enough to drive the T1's. I'm not sure and I've never heard the card that he got with the T1's so I'm asking you experts here will my friend be able to enjoy these cans with the Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card?

I would let him try mine with his sound card but that's not possible at the moment as he's in a different country..

Oct 29, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #3,340 of 10,994
It's OK. My stand alone amp is an SPL Phonitor, so a comparison there wouldn't be very fair. I can tell you it has nice bass response and is fairly laid back and warm though articulate. I found the top end to be a little recessed (although not absent) which would probably suit some T1 owners from what I have read. I will say your friend will not be disappointed.

I think I've been spoiled by my amp to be honest though, I really miss the crossfeed circuit listening to some music right now through my STX alone. Pretty impressive bit of kit though for 160 bucks.

Oct 30, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #3,341 of 10,994
Well, mostly yes. But if a track is very bass heavy, it may introduce some distortion sometimes.

Tell him also to change the OpAmps, makes a huge difference.

Oct 30, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #3,342 of 10,994
Quote:
Well, mostly yes. But if a track is very bass heavy, it may introduce some distortion sometimes.

Odd, I have never experienced any distortion with it at all. Listening to electronic music and heavy metal the bass seems pretty well presented. I thought it sounded pretty good with the opamps that came with it so never saw a need. Might try it though just out of curiosity.

Oct 30, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #3,343 of 10,994
...it really is only occasionally.

Oct 30, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #3,344 of 10,994
Quote:

Thank you Houbi for your input I will tell him about this, appreciate it!
Maybe he already has changed them..

Quote:
It's OK. My stand alone amp is an SPL Phonitor, so a comparison there wouldn't be very fair. I can tell you it has nice bass response and is fairly laid back and warm though articulate. I found the top end to be a little recessed (although not absent) which would probably suit some T1 owners from what I have read. I will say your friend will not be disappointed.

I think I've been spoiled by my amp to be honest though, I really miss the crossfeed circuit listening to some music right now through my STX alone. Pretty impressive bit of kit though for 160 bucks.

Thanks for the clarification Timmyw. I didn't honestly know that this sound card is this good.
I appreciate the information :)

Oct 30, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #3,345 of 10,994
Quote:
Schiit asgard or graham slee novo would drive it sufficiently, refinement wise yes it's still not quite enough

I'd be interested to hear more about the Asgard + T1 combo if anyone has it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back