The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 11, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #3,001 of 10,994
Depends on the T1 actually.  I've heard T1's brighter than the HD800.  Where the 800 can have a peak at 6khz that makes treble sound harder, the T1 can have a mountain from 7-10khz which to my ears is actually worse than the 800's raised plateau.  There is significant enough amount of variation among T1's to really know how bad it will be for any particular listener.  A T1 with boomier midbass and less reccessed 1-3khz in the mids also helps to mitigate some of this comparison to a bright sounding HD800 too.  Not to mention people who plug them into all sorts of interesting gear.

One of the two was.... farking horrible. The other was a lot better but still bright to my ears (on that rig). While Beyer seem to have a bit of an issue, it's a problem shared with many manufacturers. Maybe not to the same degree...

Aug 12, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #3,003 of 10,994
Hi,

It sounds similar to the T1 but is closed, has more bass, has a smaller soundstage, and is a bit brighter. It's also easy to drive as it's 32Ohms.

Quote:
Hi Zombie_X, I see you have a T5p.  Is it equivalent to T1 ?

Aug 12, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #3,004 of 10,994
Quote:
Which is the better of the two for classical / movie music ?

I haven't heard them yet, but I've read many accounts from HD800 owners saying they are amazing for classical. 

I know you're probably referring to movie soundtracks, but I've come to really love watching movies on the T1s. It can't replace my HT, of course, but when I spend time at my lady friend's place and just have a regular ol' tv here, I connect my Roku box to my Meier amp and the T1s just bring the film to life. It's a great way to watch a movie and it's also a way to enjoy some nice volume without disturbing anyone. 

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #3,005 of 10,994
Zombie_X have you changed the cable into a detachable one? I'd like to but don't really know if it's possible without disturbing the metal. I find the stock cable to be too long and bulky.

Aug 12, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #3,006 of 10,994
Hi,

The T1's cable can be made detachable by doing a little modification tot he stock cables.

Quote:
Zombie_X have you changed the cable into a detachable one? I'd like to but don't really know if it's possible without disturbing the metal. I find the stock cable to be too long and bulky.

Aug 12, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #3,007 of 10,994
My noobishness and complete lack of creativity forces me to ask for tips and advice on this. 
redface.gif

Aug 12, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #3,008 of 10,994
Hi,

No noobishness man, you're just wondering. All you'd have to do is snip the channel leads and solder on mini XLR's for each channel, the terminate another cable with mini XLR's.

Quote:
My noobishness and complete lack of creativity forces me to ask for tips and advice on this. 
redface.gif

Aug 12, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #3,009 of 10,994
Quote:
All you'd have to do is snip the channel leads and solder on mini XLR's for each channel, the terminate another cable with mini XLR's.

XLR because of the locks, right? All three pins aren't neccessary I presume so I'd have to unite two them at some point. Cheers!

Aug 12, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #3,010 of 10,994
Hi,

You can use all three pins as each channels has three wires (shield, signal, and ground). This way you can use all of them.

Quote: 

XLR because of the locks, right? All three pins aren't neccessary I presume so I'd have to unite two them at some point. Cheers!

Aug 12, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #3,011 of 10,994
Quote:
Hi,

You can use all three pins as each channels has three wires (shield, signal, and ground). This way you can use all of them.

Have you actually done this Zombie? After waiting for 2 months to get my headphones back from the repair shop, I have been thinking about actually selling mine and buying something else with a removable cable. Then just keeping a spare cable lying around. 

I don't want to have to go through this again. I have some experience with cables, I am just wondering what it would look like. Or if having a dangly bit then having the connector would get annoying in some fashion. 

Aug 12, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #3,012 of 10,994
Quote:
One of the two was.... farking horrible. The other was a lot better but still bright to my ears (on that rig). While Beyer seem to have a bit of an issue, it's a problem shared with many manufacturers. Maybe not to the same degree...

Interesting, my T1 is quite laid back when compared to the DT880 and even the Q701. To my ears it's the most accurate full sized headphone I have ever listened to. I'm not sure if it's the best as yet, more hours are needed.

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #3,013 of 10,994
Hi,

Yes I have done this for a couple people before. It's really easy to do and does not take much time.

Quote:
Have you actually done this Zombie? After waiting for 2 months to get my headphones back from the repair shop, I have been thinking about actually selling mine and buying something else with a removable cable. Then just keeping a spare cable lying around. 

I don't want to have to go through this again. I have some experience with cables, I am just wondering what it would look like. Or if having a dangly bit then having the connector would get annoying in some fashion. 

Aug 13, 2012 at 5:47 AM Post #3,014 of 10,994
Depends on the T1 actually.  I've heard T1's brighter than the HD800.  Where the 800 can does have a peak at 6khz that makes treble sound harder, the T1 can have a mountain from 7-10khz which to my ears is actually worse than the 800's raised plateau.  There is significant enough amount of variation among T1's to really know how bad it will be for any particular listener.  A T1 with boomier midbass and less reccessed 1-3khz in the mids also helps to mitigate some of this comparison to a bright sounding HD800 too.  Not to mention people who plug them into all sorts of interesting gear.

This. Mine is darker and has tighter bass than others I've heard, which suits me just fine. It seems almost like a crap shoot.

Aug 13, 2012 at 6:14 AM Post #3,015 of 10,994
I think it also depends on your point of reference. Coming from a K701 and MS2i, I felt that my T1 had much deeper bass, much smoother treble and overall a much more coherent sound. But I still find the treble a bit hot for my tastes, at least with my solid-state amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back