The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 26, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #2,582 of 10,994
Quote:

If I had Naim gear, a Krell CDP/transport and PMC speakers, I don't think I'd ever listen to headphones! 
tongue_smile.gif

May 26, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #2,583 of 10,994
Okay, I would appreciate some advice and information.

Firstly, Jan has replied my email. He mentioned that the rattling sound is most likely caused by loose hair that has gone through the protective mesh of the driver and in contact with the cone. I've checked the protective mesh and it appears that there are some fine hairs on the cups but there isn't any hair that is stuck in between the protective mesh. I cleaned the headphones a bit and the problem still persists.

My question is, do folks here who own the T1 or any other open or semi-open headphones encounter similar problems(rattling distorted sound) with loose or fine hair? Is this a norm, since there is always possibility that loose hair will find a way into the protective mesh of open or semi-open headphones in one way or another?

The distortion will only occur at higher volume levels(knob of Jazz at 11 to 12 o'clock). At normal listening levels(9 o'clock), the sound is not present.

One thing is for sure - I ain't opening up the headphones and will most likely return it to Jan, unless others have better suggestions.

Now, the next question and an important one. I have the option to replace the T1 to a HD800. Personally I would like to stick with the T1 for its musicality and elegant looks. I can live with the sound of the T1. Now, the HD800 will sound more clinical and analytical than the warmer T1s due to its transparency and highly resolving nature, though I'm not sure to what extent. Jan also suggested that the bass of the HD800 doesn't go as low as the T1. A minus point for the HD800. On a more personal basis, the build quality of the HD800 is lacking and it looks cheap with the plastic bits. Do I stick with the T1 or give the HD800s a chance? Since the HD800 is a fully open design, will it be prone to trapping hair? Any thoughts?

May 26, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #2,584 of 10,994
Quote:

If I had Naim gear, a Krell CDP/transport and PMC speakers, I don't think I'd ever listen to headphones! 
tongue_smile.gif

The PMC is a subwoofer. Speakers are Harbeth. To be frank, there is just no comparison between headphones and loudspeakers. A totally different listening experience as both have their own merits. I get more enjoyment from the main system and the headphones are just an interim, something to play around with(since I got bored with constant upgrades on the main system throughout the years and wanted to try something new). 

May 26, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #2,585 of 10,994
I am now listening to the Fourplay track no. 10 "Wish you were here" which happens to be my favourite track while typing this. The sound is wonderful - just the right amount of warmth in the mids and a full bass, and the detail in the highs is just right. Overall very musical and enjoyable. The T1s again show me what great capable headphones are like even though I did not have much high expectations on them earlier. I am beginning to appreciate the quality of the T1s the more I listen to them, even with that faint intermittent buzzing sound on the left side of the phones spoiling the listening experience a little.

Now I understand why some folks prefer the musicality of the T1s over the clinical sounding HD800 even though the latter is more resolving and transparent. The warmth and organic presentation of the T1s is really something special, quite beguiling. I really wanted to keep the T1s and avoid shipping them back to Jan but it appears that I may not have any other choice.  

May 26, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #2,586 of 10,994
On a more personal basis, the build quality of the HD800 is lacking and it looks cheap with the plastic bits

Of course this is just my personal opinion, and I’ve never heard a Sennheiser HD 800, but I don’t like its appearance and design (I feel similar about the Sennheiser HD 700). I think nothing matches the build quality and the simple, clear and understated design of a Beyerdynamic T1.

Werner.

P.S.: There’s no rattling sound in my T1, regardless of volume setting or music type.

May 26, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #2,587 of 10,994
Thanks Werner. My thoughts too although I am well aware that HD800 owners will disagree. I felt that it looked like an elaborate toy for kids, no offense and just my honest opinion although I understand that ultimately it's the sound that matters. I have chosen the T1 ahead of the HD800 for its reputation, sound aspects on paper, aesthetics and build quality, and so far the T1 has exceeded my expectations.

May 26, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #2,589 of 10,994
Thanks Dubstep Girl. I noticed you have both T1 and HD800. I've read a lot of comments on the more analytical and brighter sounding HD800s and was also told that the bass on them doesn't go as deep as the T1. I would appreciate if you can let me know your thoughts on the sonic character of the HD800s, whether they are really a lot brighter at the top than the T1s or just slightly brighter and still listenable. Stock HD800 only and not modified units.

Good to hear that the HD800 doesn't trap hair. I am actually surprised that strands of loose hair can go through the finely-woven stainless steel mesh of the T1 as suggested by Jan. The gaps are quite tiny to the naked eye.

May 26, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #2,590 of 10,994
Quote:

Of course this is just my personal opinion, and I’ve never heard a Sennheiser HD 800, but I don’t like its appearance and design (I feel similar about the Sennheiser HD 700). I think nothing matches the build quality and the simple, clear and understated design of a Beyerdynamic T1.

Werner.

P.S.: There’s no rattling sound in my T1, regardless of volume setting or music type.

I agree about the personal viewpoint basis on the looks and build quality of the HD800 vs T1. Your impressions exactly mirrored my thoughts too as the exterior of the HD800 looks naff and weird, and it amazes me that some folks cited "high-quality" plastic to justify the build quality of it. The simple and understated design surely contributes to the elegant looks of the T1, which is of course built like a brick in comparison to the fragile and cheap looking Sennheisers.

May 26, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #2,591 of 10,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryder78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would appreciate if you can let me know your thoughts on the sonic character of the HD800s, whether they are really a lot brighter at the top than the T1s or just slightly brighter and still listenable. Stock HD800 only and not modified units.

I guess it depends on listening taste and preferences as usual. The HD800 can sound clinical and unmusical to some ears next to the T1. On the other hand, some may find the T1s to sound warm, shut-in and muddled when comparison is made to the HD800. Horses for courses. Some folks own both to have the best of both worlds.

May 27, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #2,592 of 10,994
Quote:
As an update, I have had the T1s for slightly more than a week now and they have about 4 to 5 hours on them. I had earlier reported difficulties listening to the headphones for more than a few minutes(since the T1s are my first experience with headphones). This morning I managed to listen to the T1s continuously for more than an hour. The good news ends here though. The bad news is I recently discovered that the pair of T1 that I own is defective. There is a rattling sound or distortion on the left earcup when playing certain music with low bass. It gets pretty annoying as the rattling sound although pretty faint can be heard at moderate volume levels(volume knob of Meier Corda Jazz at about 11 to 12 o'clock). It only happens with select jazz recordings with good low bass. Overall I am slightly disappointed as I didn't expect this quality issue would show up with the T1s. I will have this sorted out soon.

Quality issues aside, I am now able to gauge the T1s better with extended listening sessions. Most of the comments about the T1 have been pretty accurate. In summary, they are quite neutral, perhaps leaning slightly on the warm side of neutrality. There is good separation between instruments and soundstaging is about average. I enjoyed the T1s with most of the music that I listen to(70% instrumental jazz, 30% vocals, pop and rock). The highs although sweet and detailed do not exhibit the same level of airiness, extension and detail when compared to more revealing and transparent transducers(loudspeakers, not headphones). Not exactly a criticism as too much transparency and detail may result in an analytical sound, a bright and splashy treble. In my book it is important to strike a good balance between musicality and transparency although neutrality is still of paramount importance.

The bass on the T1s is full and has ample punch and slam. No complaints here although they still (obviously) can't match the loudspeaker system in this department.

The headphone listening experience may not be as natural in comparison to loudspeaker based systems but it does have its own appeal in its capability of a more intimate and direct sound, with the absence of room interaction.

In summary, the T1 represents a great design and good all-rounder with its neutrality and low levels of coloration. It is not only a musical headphone but solidly built too in a clean and minimalist form which contributes to its classy looks.

The picture below shows the T1s connected to the main system although they were meant to be used in another computer setup. The T1s managed to hold its own and did not disappoint.

Nice setup ryder! naim krell and what speakers and amps are you using?

May 27, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #2,593 of 10,994
Quote:
Thanks Werner. My thoughts too although I am well aware that HD800 owners will disagree. I felt that it looked like an elaborate toy for kids, no offense and just my honest opinion although I understand that ultimately it's the sound that matters. I have chosen the T1 ahead of the HD800 for its reputation, sound aspects on paper, aesthetics and build quality, and so far the T1 has exceeded my expectations.

I don't know about this loose hair trappings.  I would definitely be blasting bassy songs on the T1s off head and looking for the rattling location.  Try pushing down different points to see if the rattling goes away.  Take the headphone apart and see when and where the noise arrives or departs.  This is just me, however, and you would have to judge your confidence of assembly and dis-assembly yourself.

May 27, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #2,594 of 10,994
Quote:
Nice setup ryder! naim krell and what speakers and amps are you using?

Thanks. I'm using Harbeth SHL5 driven by NAC202/NAP200, regarded to be the some of the worst sounding amps by few folks in the wacky Naim community. :)

Quote:

I don't know about this loose hair trappings.  I would definitely be blasting bassy songs on the T1s off head and looking for the rattling location.  Try pushing down different points to see if the rattling goes away.  Take the headphone apart and see when and where the noise arrives or departs.  This is just me, however, and you would have to judge your confidence of assembly and dis-assembly yourself.

In my correspondence with Jan Meier, I suggested it is unlikely that hair is trapped or has gone through the protective mesh of the headphones as the gaps are really tiny. Another possibility that Jan suggested is a connecting wire inside the earcup that may have contributed to the rattling sound. Anyway I have decided to keep the T1s as the rattling sound will only be heard at higher volume levels with certain tracks. Since I do not have any experience with the assembly of a headphone(don't know where to locate the screws to disassemble the T1), confidence level is low as I might mess up rather than make things right. Nevertheless, will attempt something later on. As the way it is right now, there will not be any rattling sound when listening at normal volume levels(8 to 9 o'clock on the volume dial). It is only at short-term (unrecommended) head banging sessions the rattling sound will be heard. 

I have also decided to stick with the T1s and disregard the HD800s as I find the sound of the T1s to be just right for my listening preferences. The neutral, warm and full sound of the T1 is crucial in contributing to its musicality and listenability. I do not find the T1s to be excessively warm or muddled as some might have suggested. As a matter of fact I find them to sound slightly lean(or clinical) with certain music or recordings. As such, I can imagine the HD800 to sound even thinner and more analytical, something that I may not be able to live with in the long run.

On a separate matter, as good as the T1(or any other stellar headphones) gets, I still find something unnatural with headphone listening although I am now able to listen to the T1s for more than an hour in a single session(initially only for 5-10 minutes before it gets uncomfortable). To cut a long story short, I find the loudspeaker-based system to be more fulfilling and enjoyable.

May 27, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #2,595 of 10,994
Quote:
Thanks Dubstep Girl. I noticed you have both T1 and HD800. I've read a lot of comments on the more analytical and brighter sounding HD800s and was also told that the bass on them doesn't go as deep as the T1. I would appreciate if you can let me know your thoughts on the sonic character of the HD800s, whether they are really a lot brighter at the top than the T1s or just slightly brighter and still listenable. Stock HD800 only and not modified units.

Good to hear that the HD800 doesn't trap hair. I am actually surprised that strands of loose hair can go through the finely-woven stainless steel mesh of the T1 as suggested by Jan. The gaps are quite tiny to the naked eye.

i personally think the HD 800s goes a tad bit deeper than the T1, but you hear it more on T1 because it has slightly more bass than the HD 800. the HD 800s are not alot brighter, they are just slightly brighter, especially when listening to them on a tube amp. also the HD 800s aren't as analytical as some people put them out to be, i think its all about amp pairing, because when i listening to them on my WA6-SE, they sound detailed, dynamic, but with a sparkly yet somewhat tamed high end (weird huh). when listening to them on the WA2, they are more natural sounding and lose some detail to gain smoothness and a very euphonic sound. the HD 800s are pretty neutral and will sound based off the colorations of the amp, so people listening on very neutral setups will find the HD 800s will reflect exactly that, at least how i see it. i never found the HD 800s to be bright, maybe a little more sparkle on the high end, but only at louder volumes, and the T1 has a weird high end as well too sometimes, depending on the song/recording. ultimately, i don't find either to be particularly bright or fatiguing.  

Quote:

I have also decided to stick with the T1s and disregard the HD800s as I find the sound of the T1s to be just right for my listening preferences. The neutral, warm and full sound of the T1 is crucial in contributing to its musicality and listenability. I do not find the T1s to be excessively warm or muddled as some might have suggested. As a matter of fact I find them to sound slightly lean(or clinical) with certain music or recordings. As such, I can imagine the HD800 to sound even thinner and more analytical, something that I may not be able to live with in the long run.

+1, both can be lean and clinical on some songs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back