The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Mar 27, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #2,266 of 10,994
Just joined the T1 club...and loving it!  I think I now have a great selection of 'phones for all different music/moods, with Grado RS1i's, LCD-2's and T1's.  To my ear, the T1's are the most neutral of the three, but they all have their strengths & weaknesses.  The T1's don't have the bass of the LCD2's, but the soundstage is so nice and airy.  Plus, they sound so nice with my MAD Ear+ HD Super II.

Mar 27, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #2,267 of 10,994

Quote:
Just joined the T1 club...and loving it!  I think I now have a great selection of 'phones for all different music/moods, with Grado RS1i's, LCD-2's and T1's.  To my ear, the T1's are the most neutral of the three, but they all have their strengths & weaknesses.  The T1's don't have the bass of the LCD2's, but the soundstage is so nice and airy.  Plus, they sound so nice with my MAD Ear+ HD Super II.

I'm so glad to hear that you are a satisfied customer of Dr. P at Mapletree Audio...he's a great guy to deal with and one of these days I will give him some more money to build me a headphone amp :)

Welcome to the club! I'm a Grado/T1 guy myself and love both...nice gear you have there, brother!

Mar 27, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #2,269 of 10,994

Quote:
I don't normally listen to jazz, but when I do, I listen to Kenny G. When it comes to classical, try Yo-Yo Ma.

When it comes to rock/blues fusion, try the Black Keys.

Good call on the Black Keys...I just recently heard some of their stuff and want to hear more.

Mar 27, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #2,270 of 10,994
just got my T1 back!!!! 

it wasn't 3 months, it was only 2. i sent them in 1/26/12, so its been exactly 2 months since i sent them.

they gave me a brand new headband and everything complete with a new serial number. 

now its #5680

awesome! 

Mar 27, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #2,272 of 10,994
i think its a new pair. the old cups had some damage, these appear flawless. also a bit brighter than the other pair, you can see the beyer logo a little better.

they sound much more balanced too. i dont know if its because maybe the other drivers did have some small issues, or perhaps if it is a new pair, they made sure it was 100% perfect since i was waiting for so long.

either way, just plugged them into my WA2, and i'm blown away. they sound much better than i remember them sounding.

note: these definitely sound best out of the WA2 alone. 

WA6-SE = good but bright

WA6-SE + WA2 = good but still slight harshness and somewhat sibilant sometimes

WA2 = pure audio bliss.

Mar 27, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #2,274 of 10,994
about to post pics of my stuff in my show off your head-fi station thread. make sure to look at it if you wanna see what it looks like now!

Mar 27, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #2,275 of 10,994

Quote:
Yes I am very pleased with it. I upgraded from the Roc which I was very happy with but wanted a better amp for the HE-6's. I expected significant improvement with the HE-6's and got it but was not prepared for how well it performed with the T1's or my new LCD-2's.

So-how would you describe the differences between the two amps with your T1s?? Especially in regards to dynamics, soundstaging, and 'blackground'? Thanks!

-Daniel

Quote:
Yes and find it an excellent match.
At the moment though I am mainly using my new Audio-gd Master-6 amp and the T1's sound stunning on the Master-6 and they are not even balanced.
biggrin.gif

Mar 27, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #2,276 of 10,994

Quote:
just got my T1 back!!!! 

it wasn't 3 months, it was only 2. i sent them in 1/26/12, so its been exactly 2 months since i sent them.

they gave me a brand new headband and everything complete with a new serial number. 

now its #5680

awesome! 

Great ^^ , well 2 month still a bit long . 

Quote:
i think its a new pair. the old cups had some damage, these appear flawless. also a bit brighter than the other pair, you can see the beyer logo a little better.

they sound much more balanced too. i dont know if its because maybe the other drivers did have some small issues, or perhaps if it is a new pair, they made sure it was 100% perfect since i was waiting for so long.

either way, just plugged them into my WA2, and i'm blown away. they sound much better than i remember them sounding.

note: these definitely sound best out of the WA2 alone. 

WA6-SE = good but bright

WA6-SE + WA2 = good but still slight harshness and somewhat sibilant sometimes

WA2 = pure audio bliss.

Hum 2 months without T1 , peraphs yes your new T1 is a bit better or not , without a direct comparison you will never know  
tongue_smile.gif
baah the essential thing is that they sound great . 

Mar 27, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #2,277 of 10,994
i think they are a bit better, the soundstage seems better and the highs aren't a problem anymore, they don't have that sharpness and slightly thin sounding mids. overall, the sound is much fuller and more balanced.

i think that it definitely is the drivers, i read a thread here a while ago where someone showed how the T1 doesn't always have the best driver matching, and that can change the sound signature (some pairs of T1 seem to sound better than others because of this quality control issue)

Mar 27, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #2,278 of 10,994

Quote:
i think they are a bit better, the soundstage seems better and the highs aren't a problem anymore, they don't have that sharpness and slightly thin sounding mids. overall, the sound is much fuller and more balanced.

i think that it definitely is the drivers, i read a thread here a while ago where someone showed how the T1 doesn't always have the best driver matching, and that can change the sound signature (some pairs of T1 seem to sound better than others because of this quality control issue)

Hum , if highs don't bother you anymore ya there is something , just give it a final confirmation in some days when you will be used to your new T1 , (better to be cautious ) . I  agree that beyer drivers are not always matched carrefully , (DT-770-990 line ) T1 etc , but never on their studio line , DT-48 etc (or DT-770-990 PRO conterparts)  but i can be wrong . 

And why not control your new T1 ? With a multimeter it's quite simple 
tongue.gif

Mar 28, 2012 at 5:50 AM Post #2,279 of 10,994

Quote:

So-how would you describe the differences between the two amps with your T1s?? Especially in regards to dynamics, soundstaging, and 'blackground'? Thanks!

-Daniel

If you mean between the Roc and Master-6 then there are significant improvements with the Master-6.
Dynamics are stunning from the M6 being fed by the NFB-7, this ain't background music!! I always felt dynamics were already very good with the Roc (about on par with the Woo6se) but the M6 is a clear step up.
The dynamics  are stunning on the balanced LCD's so I expect a big improvement again when I balance the T1's.
I don't hear any hiss on the M6 at level 60 out of 70 which is at alevel far higher than I could listen to even on the HE-6's. So I would say that the M6 has a totally black 'blackground' but then I felt the Roc did as well. The Woo has the faintest of hiss at very high volume, higher than I could listen to.
Soundstaging seems naturally wide and deep. Nothing seems over emphasized.
Bass,one of the Master-6's strong points, is deeper,even tighter and with greater drive and impact and the sound generally if fuller and more powerfull with the M6.
Detail retreival is just stunning and absorbing.

I am mainly listening to the LCD's at the moment though for 2 reasons :-
They are new and they sound absolutely stunning
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #2,280 of 10,994

Quote:
If you mean between the Roc and Master-6 then there are significant improvements with the Master-6.
Dynamics are stunning from the M6 being fed by the NFB-7, this ain't background music!! I always felt dynamics were already very good with the Roc (about on par with the Woo6se) but the M6 is a clear step up.
The dynamics  are stunning on the balanced LCD's so I expect a big improvement again when I balance the T1's.
I don't hear any hiss on the M6 at level 60 out of 70 which is at alevel far higher than I could listen to even on the HE-6's. So I would say that the M6 has a totally black 'blackground' but then I felt the Roc did as well. The Woo has the faintest of hiss at very high volume, higher than I could listen to.
Soundstaging seems naturally wide and deep. Nothing seems over emphasized.
Bass,one of the Master-6's strong points, is deeper,even tighter and with greater drive and impact and the sound generally if fuller and more powerfull with the M6.
Detail retreival is just stunning and absorbing.

I am mainly listening to the LCD's at the moment though for 2 reasons :-
They are new and they sound absolutely stunning
biggrin.gif

Thanks! But yeah, I was more hoping for comparisons between the Master 6 and the Woo lol. :)

-Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back