The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Mar 24, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #2,236 of 10,994

Quote:
On first listen, the T1s are notably better than the DT880s (600). The low end is so good that it's startling. The crispness and "kick" of the drums is really making an impact. Vocals are unbelievably clear and natural. Sound stage isn't huge, but it seems right. (I really can't get over the bass....wow!).  This is a much bigger difference than I anticipated...seems like several people told me that they were not a HUGE step up from the 880s, but I'm actually finding them to be well worth the price premium so far. Im going to let them play for a few hours while I head out to dinner and a movie and then will do some more listening when I get home.

The T1s are exceeding expectations so far, though.

Really? I felt that [size=x-small]the imaging and soundstage were superb, but I could get over the bass...the bass was quite lacking. :/[/size]  Btw, my headphone has be recabled with Moon Audio Black Dragon cable.

Maybe in time, I will learn to love it as much as my D7000. I hope I can obtain the same feeling that you have, but for now, it will be strictly used for movies and classical music.

Mar 24, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #2,237 of 10,994

Quote:
i really miss my T1, gonna call monday and see why its been almost 3 months now....

: / something is wrong , peraphs headphone's God is a misogynist : / like me 
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:
i have dt 990 and the T1 is a huge step up.

LCD-2 and HD 800 are right in the same ball-park too. the improvement is definitely noticeable and worth it imo. ended up selling my hd 650 and grado sr325 so far.

gonna sell dt 990 and maybe k701 next.

Soo you will only focus on more high end phones ? No DT-880 testing ? 

Mar 24, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #2,238 of 10,994
Did you send them directly to Beyerdynamic?  Usually, the manufacturer has only one or two repair guys on site; it could take forever to get something fixed.  That's why many manufacturers authorize other dealers and shops to do a lot of warranty work.

Quote:
i really miss my T1, gonna call monday and see why its been almost 3 months now....

Mar 24, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #2,239 of 10,994
Its been 3 months already? I remember when you first posted about sending it off. That sucks dear, I'd be depressed without my T1s for that long.

Quote:

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #2,240 of 10,994

Quote:

Really? I felt that [size=x-small]the imaging and soundstage were superb, but I could get over the bass...the bass was quite lacking. :/[/size]  Btw, my headphone has be recabled with Moon Audio Black Dragon cable.

Maybe in time, I will learn to love it as much as my D7000. I hope I can obtain the same feeling that you have, but for now, it will be strictly used for movies and classical music.

That just boggles my mind about the bass lol...what sort of gear were you using? I cannot imagine anyone would find these headphones lacking in the low end. Many people consider the Atrio M5 (MG7 driver) really bass heavy IEMs, and the T1s blow them out of the water! I know it's not apples to apples, but I don't have as much experience with multiple headphones and IEMs like some of you guys. I must be getting some really solid synergy with my Meier amp or something, cause the bass is absolutely stunning. I was telling ZombieX that I'm accustomed to planar bass with my Magnepans, and the quality I'm hearing in the T1s is damn near as good. I ran through some Deadmau5, Pretty Lights, Skrillex, and Massive Attack tonight and it was all thumpin' and kickin' like I couldn't believe. There's just no way we're hearing the same thing....it must be a difference in gear or something...

And if you never feel this way about the T1s, at least you have another world class headphone that is more your style. I have yet to hear any of the better Denon models, but from what I've read they are great phones.  When I first started looking into portable audio and headphones, I got all caught up in "which one should I buy??"  I went back and forth, up and down, and back again trying to make a decision. Then I saw that lots of people didn't have just one pair of headphones...they had lots, and if they didn't like something they had a pretty easy time selling it here or elsewhere. I can't do that with speakers, but with headphones it's easy. Don't like headphone A? Go with B. Maybe try C for a while and then consider D thru F in a few months. It's the most fun you can have with clothes on :)

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #2,241 of 10,994
Wow, you still don't have them back? Hell, I'm sorry to hear that. I would call them up and find out what's going on.

Dubstep Girl, gotta ask you, you a big fan of Elfen Lied? I love the manga and found the show to be so-so. I actually hated the ending of the TV show... I recently picked up all the volumes of the manga from a local import store. This stuff is seriously testing my Japanese skills, which are a bit rusty, but I can read the majority of it...

Quote:

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #2,242 of 10,994

Quote:
That just boggles my mind about the bass lol...what sort of gear were you using? I cannot imagine anyone would find these headphones lacking in the low end. Many people consider the Atrio M5 (MG7 driver) really bass heavy IEMs, and the T1s blow them out of the water! I know it's not apples to apples, but I don't have as much experience with multiple headphones and IEMs like some of you guys. I must be getting some really solid synergy with my Meier amp or something, cause the bass is absolutely stunning. I was telling ZombieX that I'm accustomed to planar bass with my Magnepans, and the quality I'm hearing in the T1s is damn near as good. I ran through some Deadmau5, Pretty Lights, Skrillex, and Massive Attack tonight and it was all thumpin' and kickin' like I couldn't believe. There's just no way we're hearing the same thing....it must be a difference in gear or something...  

No...it's because the headphone is semi open, that the bass is not as thumping as a D7000, which happens to be a closed can. Then again, I bought the headphone because it was the best neutral open headphone on the market. The headphone is AMAZING with classical music, pop, and techno songs. Running the T1 through several hip hop songs, did show that the bass was quite lacking. It just doesn't compare to my Audio Technicas or my D7000, but then again, it's an open headphone.

Mar 25, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #2,243 of 10,994

I'm typically not one to rely heavily on FR graphs, but this seems to contradict what you're hearing, doesn't it?

Quote:

No...it's because the headphone is semi open, that the bass is not as thumping as a D7000, which happens to be a closed can. Then again, I bought the headphone because it was the best neutral open headphone on the market. The headphone is AMAZING with classical music, pop, and techno songs. Running the T1 through several hip hop songs, did show that the bass was quite lacking. It just doesn't compare to my Audio Technicas or my D7000, but then again, it's an open headphone.

Mar 25, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #2,244 of 10,994

Quote:
I'm typically not one to rely heavily on FR graphs, but this seems to contradict what you're hearing, doesn't it?

In regards to the D7000 vs T1, from the graphs my hypothesis is the D7000's massive valley between the 1kHz-4kHz range and the lack of that treble peak gives the illusion that the bass is stronger to the ears.

Mar 25, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #2,245 of 10,994
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the T1's bass if a suitable amp is used.
Being 600 ohms means they have different requirements than most other phones

Mar 25, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #2,247 of 10,994
Quite a long wait, isn't it? ;]

Mar 25, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #2,249 of 10,994

Quote:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the T1's bass if a suitable amp is used.
Being 600 ohms means they have different requirements than most other phones

Are you using the Woo amp for your T1s? As I was doing my research here, it seems that many people loved the combination of the T1s with the Woo gear. On top of that, it's some of the most beautiful gear on the market, in my opinion.

Late last night and into this morning, I couldn' stop listening to the T1s even though it was really getting late. I won't use some of the tired cliches about how I heard details in my music that I had never heard before, but I found myself listening to older music that I NEVER listen to. Some of it just sounded ridiculously good, most notably Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean". On some other tracks, you could even hear aspects of the recording environment caught on the recording. There were a few discs where you could tell that they were recording in an environment where there was some reverberation or an echo type effect present. Almost  like how it sounds when you're in a bathroom or some other place where when you sing you can clearly hear your voice echoing in the room as you perform. You can actually hear it in the recording and the details are there in spades.

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #2,250 of 10,994

Quote:
In regards to the D7000 vs T1, from the graphs my hypothesis is the D7000's massive valley between the 1kHz-4kHz range and the lack of that treble peak gives the illusion that the bass is stronger to the ears.

Maybe that is the case. I'll give it more test runs, but even with the frequency graph as proof, I doubt I might find the T1's bass to my liking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back