The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 29, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #1,982 of 10,994
.... and the WA2 came into the office.  Can't wait to get home and hook the T1 up to it. :)

Jan 30, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #1,984 of 10,994
Ok so I'm home listening to my T1 via the WA2 now.  Only have an hour with this so impression is brief.

I don't have my WA6 anymore so comparison is mostly with the Burson.  The initial impression is that this amp is smooth without losing detail and plays very nicely with some of the lesser quality recordings when the Burson would reveal too much of the flaw and sound grainy in comparison.  Also it has gobs of power, I don't think I've heard my T1 slam so hard with the bass before at the same volume, it's not louder or anything like that, but the impact itself is stronger.  Probably because of the power the T1 seems to open up a bit more as well, feels like there's more air and separation.  Very engaging thus far.

Also must really say I love the guys at A2A, when I opened the box and saw they included a pair of rubber gloves to handle the tubes I was really impressed with the attention to details. 

Jan 30, 2012 at 4:42 AM Post #1,985 of 10,994
Quote:
[…] they included a pair of rubber gloves to handle the tubes […]

rubber gloves, really? Usually cotton gloves are used to handle tubes, while rubber gloves are used for somehow less pleasing stuff.

Werner.

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #1,986 of 10,994

The wire referred in this paragraph is for the tinny voice coil wire around the magnet. Reducing the external cable from 10 to 5 feet will not have any noticeable effect on the sound.

Quote:
# If reducing beyerdynamic T1 cable from 10ft to 5 ft
  do u think it will improve quality?

# Double up wire size 2 parallel 5ft. ?

How du u think it will affect the sound ?

Pros and cons of high impedance headphones:
  • Headphone impedance is usually increased by thinner wire and most importantly more turns of wire in the voice coil. More turns or loops creates a larger field (area of magnetic influence). In layman's terms more magnetic force for the coil to move the diaphragm. Thinner wire usually works out to a lighter, more responsive diaphragm. Depending on the headphone design, this may lead to more accurate response.

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #1,987 of 10,994
I'm announcing that I'm a proud new owner of T1 Serial# 2058. 
biggrin.gif

Anyone ever tried the T1 with a Mappletree Audio Design (MAD) EAR+ Purist HD?  
This is what I'll be driving them with for now source from a DACmini.

Cheer

Jan 30, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #1,988 of 10,994
I highly recommand the Doge 6210mkII for the T1, better than an Hifiman EF-5 for that headphone. It's a very underrated amp i think for the price, and a very good match for the T1.

Jan 30, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #1,989 of 10,994
i really miss my T1 combo, can't wait to get the T1 back from beyerdynamic.

i'm also strongly considering selling my mid-fi headphones and buying hd 800s or upgrading to a WA5-LE, perhaps even a used one with parts upgrade.

Jan 30, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #1,991 of 10,994

Quote:
biggrin.gif

Cheer

I've driven my T1s (well, now YOUR T1s...
beerchug.gif
) with both a Mapletree Ear+ HD and a Mapletree Super II. I felt the Super II was just about right, while the Ear+ HD was occasionally a bit too soft and lacking in detail. Not that it was a bad combination, mind you, but that it sometimes made the T1s sound un-T1-like.

I think you'll have great success driving them directly from your DACmini, and the Purist HD should be no slouch either. What tubes are you using?

Jan 30, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #1,992 of 10,994

Quote:
biggrin.gif

Cheer

enjoy them man. They do like tube design amps.

Jan 30, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #1,993 of 10,994
They do sound good on tube gear for sure. My T1's sound good on my WA3+, though my amp is modded beyond what many would do.

Frank I, too bad you don't like solid state that much. I find the sound differences between solid state and tubes to be much smaller than many claim. Tubes do effect the sound but not so much that the sound completely changes. Actually it all just depends on what tubes and how the amp is designed.

Quote:
enjoy them man. They do like tube design amps.

Jan 30, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #1,994 of 10,994

Quote:
They do sound good on tube gear for sure. My T1's sound good on my WA3+, though my amp is modded beyond what many would do.

Frank I, too bad you don't like solid state that much. I find the sound differences between solid state and tubes to be much smaller than many claim. Tubes do effect the sound but not so much that the sound completely changes. Actually it all just depends on what tubes and how the amp is designed.

Well Zombie in 35 years I have always had a preference for  tube amps and probably always will. They are my passion but your wish is coming to fruition as I have the Violectric V200 on its way to me for review so I will listen and I do like solid state amps as I do have the SX650 and had 5 read 5 ss headamps but none of them compared to the Decware amps or even the Pioneer receivers of the vintage variety. I am ,llooking forward to the V200 for review. IMO tube amps get the tone and sound of live acoustic instruments just right and closer to what I hear live. YOMV. The decware are also well designed amps by a tube guru in Steve Deckert.

Jan 30, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #1,995 of 10,994
Yeah, I just don't always hear that tube sound in my gear. I love tube gear because they give out a bigger voltage swing which is needed for high impedance headphones. Now granted some tubes do have a much warmer sound, such as the RCA 6AS7, it's just not that pronounced to my ears. My views have changed on tubes and they jsut don't color the sound as much as people claim. Now some tubes do have such an effect such as my Bugle Boys and my Sylvania 6080. Both of those are warm sounding with softer treble.

Also I think you'll like the V200 a lot. It surely has a more lush sound with the smooth treble, just likes what tubes have.

Quote:
Well Zombie in 35 years I have always had a preference for  tube amps and probably always will. They are my passion but your wish is coming to fruition as I have the Violectric V200 on its way to me for review so I will listen and I do like solid state amps as I do have the SX650 and had 5 read 5 ss headamps but none of them compared to the Decware amps or even the Pioneer receivers of the vintage variety. I am ,llooking forward to the V200 for review. IMO tube amps get the tone and sound of live acoustic instruments just right and closer to what I hear live. YOMV. The decware are also well designed amps by a tube guru in Steve Deckert.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back