The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 25, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #241 of 10,994

Quote:
Alright, so it looks like the LCD is a better fit to my ears than the T1. I really enjoy its sound and there's no trace of the harsh treble with it.. I think I have sensitive ears to treble since 3 people i've A/Bed the T1/LCD-2 all preferred the T1.. I'm debating if I should keep both since the T1 certainly has a great sound and brings things in terms of soundstage and detail that the LCD-2 doesn't match IMO.

They both do compliment one each other that way. But I still find the T1's as slightly the better all rounder. The LCD-2s win for rock/metal and  jazz, but the T1s are great with those genres PLUS classical and acoustic. FTR, I slightly prefer the LCD-2s overall.

Dec 25, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #242 of 10,994

I hope you do quick a a/b/c comparison between the HD650, LCD-2 and T1 before you seperate with either - it would be appreciated :)
Quote:
Alright, so it looks like the LCD is a better fit to my ears than the T1. I really enjoy its sound and there's no trace of the harsh treble with it.. I think I have sensitive ears to treble since 3 people i've A/Bed the T1/LCD-2 all preferred the T1.. I'm debating if I should keep both since the T1 certainly has a great sound and brings things in terms of soundstage and detail that the LCD-2 doesn't match IMO.

Dec 25, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #243 of 10,994
The HD650 is like the LCD-2 just a lot less detailed and with a much smaller soundstage. I'll definitely sell it, just too lazy to take pics of it yet. My headband is cracked so it'll be a good deal ;P

So far I am leaning towards keeping both the LCD and T1 since they are very different and complement each other quite well.

Dec 26, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #244 of 10,994

Quote:
In my system, I only found T1 has similar problem as you described with only ONE of my CDs, the 1st soundtrack of Pirates of the Caribbean suite.  That CD's recording is definitely not right (too edgy and bright) and I have discovered that long before I use DT880/600.  It just sounds even more edgy and brighter with T1.

Hans Zimmer prefers like that - bright sound, recessed mids, boosted bass, therefore I've never liked his recordings with beyers though the 3rd soundtrack was a bit better in that sense. Instead, John Williams' Star Wars, for instance, is much more suitable for DT880/600, and probably the T1s, with its neutral but lively mids and great percussions. So I strongly believe that the problem is not with the T1s but the recordings of Hans Zimmer 
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 26, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #245 of 10,994
Quote:

Hans Zimmer prefers like that - bright sound, recessed mids, boosted bass, therefore I've never liked his recordings with beyers though the 3rd soundtrack was a bit better in that sense. Instead, John Williams' Star Wars, for instance, is much more suitable for DT880/600, and probably the T1s, with its neutral but lively mids and great percussions. So I strongly believe that the problem is not with the T1s but the recordings of Hans Zimmer 
bigsmile_face.gif

I don't find Zimmer's recording bright.  Actually, the majority of his work in Pirates of the Caribbean, Dead Man's Chest, At World's End & the bonus 4th CD, are well recorded, no matter for DT880/600 or T1.

That was kind of sidetrack.  Anyhow, the moral of the lesson was that T1 shouldn't be the problem of being too bright.  It only sounded bright if the music or part of my system is bright (such as a wrong tube)

Dec 28, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #247 of 10,994
To my ears the T1 is still a bright headphones, but not nearly as bright as the other DT770-DT990 models are.

Jan 2, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #248 of 10,994
I've read that T1 are quite efficient and not-so amp dependent as the HD800 which I used to own.  I'm about to pull a trigger on the Weiss DAC202 for a DAC and it happens to have a relatively nice headphone output... 

"The DAC202 offers separate output stages for the main and headphone outputs. Weiss elected to use very good operational amplifiers (opamps) with a high slew rate, and a low impedance topology." quote from computeraudiophile

Pretty sure its not as powerful as fully discrete headphone amps but will it be good enough for the Tesla?  Another reviewer posted that the DAC202 amp is on par with Auditor in regards to SQ.

Jan 2, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #249 of 10,994
I don't know much about DAC's with headphone output, but I know my Music Hall DAC25.2 has a pretty bad headphone out.

For the price of that DAC it better have a really powerful headphone amp. IMO you are better off getting a DAC and headphone amp separate. Maybe get a WA2 and a Audio-GD DAC.

Quote:
I've read that T1 are quite efficient and not-so amp dependent as the HD800 which I used to own.  I'm about to pull a trigger on the Weiss DAC202 for a DAC and it happens to have a relatively nice headphone output... 

"The DAC202 offers separate output stages for the main and headphone outputs. Weiss elected to use very good operational amplifiers (opamps) with a high slew rate, and a low impedance topology." quote from computeraudiophile

Pretty sure its not as powerful as fully discrete headphone amps but will it be good enough for the Tesla?  Another reviewer posted that the DAC202 amp is on par with Auditor in regards to SQ.

Jan 2, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #250 of 10,994
Thanks Zombie-x, I guess I should scale down to DAC2 along with separate amp!

Jan 2, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #251 of 10,994
Yeah I think having an amp and a DAC separate from one another is the best move. 

Quote:
Thanks Zombie-x, I guess I should scale down to DAC2 along with separate amp!

Jan 3, 2011 at 7:05 AM Post #252 of 10,994
The T1 is on my buy list...

Right after I get my hands on a Denon D-2000, whenever that drops under $200.
Maybe I'll reward myself after I graduate. 
I'm hoping everyone will totally lose interest in this and drive the price down. 

Jan 25, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #253 of 10,994
The T1 is also on my buy list. Man i've been salivating over these for a while. 
I have both the HD650 and Dt990/600. I think they complement each other well.
Anyone have any idea how the T1s would sit with both? Would it be worth it?
BTW this is my first post! Hello everyone! lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back