The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Oct 1, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #10,411 of 10,994
What amp & DAC are you using?

I use a Musical Fidelity MX-HPA headphone amplifier. The unbalanced inputs originate from a Denon DCD-A100 SACD player, and the balanced inputs originate from a TEAC UD-301, which in turn is fed from the TOSLINK output of a Denon DNP-720AE.
Maybe it's just me, but I'm finding the T1's lack body, weight and low-end presence, but your own thoughts would be really appreciated.

Oct 1, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #10,412 of 10,994
I found the T1 gen 1 to be very difficult to drive. It really benefits from a very strong amp, preferably a tube amp or warm SS amp. Also, changing the pads to 770 pads rather than the stock 990 pads helps to even out the sound. I know the headphones are capable of amazing pounding bass, since using leather pads makes the T1 a bass monster (but not in a good way).

Oct 1, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #10,413 of 10,994
I use a Musical Fidelity MX-HPA headphone amplifier. The unbalanced inputs originate from a Denon DCD-A100 SACD player, and the balanced inputs originate from a TEAC UD-301, which in turn is fed from the TOSLINK output of a Denon DNP-720AE.
Maybe it's just me, but I'm finding the T1's lack body, weight and low-end presence, but your own thoughts would be really appreciated.

That seems like a decent setup, however it's hard for me, from the outside, to judge if it is optimal for the T1. I can confidently say that my setup brings out the best of the T1; a Monarchy NM24 tube DAC with the legendary 1704PCM R2R chipset (rich & full bodied), a vintage Yamaha CR2020 (very powerful, rich, full bodied and slightly warm) with the bass tone control increased by one notch. The result of that combination removes any brightness, stridency or piercing highs like so many are experiencing. The sound is clean, clear, extended, open and smooth. It is amazing actually, especially with vocals.
That said, i would still say the T1 is inherently lean in nature. For example, i would never use my Bryston BHA-1 to feed the T1 because it too happens to be on the lean side despite being a very good and clean sounding headphone amp (the BHA-1 mates especially well with thicker sounding headphones like the planar magnetic HE-500) and because lean + lean = too lean & thin.
So there you go, that is my experience and perspective with the T1. It will improve drastically with a rich, full bodied and powerful setup. If i never compared the T1 directly to my HE-500 (using the NM24 & CR2020) i would not necessarily describe it as being too lean but i can easily see how that would be the case on many other setups. By the way, everything i described above also applies to the HD800 in my experience.

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #10,414 of 10,994

That seems like a decent setup, however it's hard for me, from the outside, to judge if it is optimal for the T1. I can confidently say that my setup brings out the best of the T1; a Monarchy NM24 tube DAC with the legendary 1704PCM R2R chipset (rich & full bodied), a vintage Yamaha CR2020 (very powerful, rich, full bodied and slightly warm) with the bass tone control increased by one notch. The result of that combination removes any brightness, stridency or piercing highs like so many are experiencing. The sound is clean, clear, extended, open and smooth. It is amazing actually, especially with vocals.
That said, i would still say the T1 is inherently lean in nature. For example, i would never use my Bryston BHA-1 to feed the T1 because it too happens to be on the lean side despite being a very good and clean sounding headphone amp (the BHA-1 mates especially well with thicker sounding headphones like the planar magnetic HE-500) and because lean + lean = too lean & thin.
So there you go, that is my experience and perspective with the T1. It will improve drastically with a rich, full bodied and powerful setup. If i never compared the T1 directly to my HE-500 (using the NM24 & CR2020) i would not necessarily describe it as being too lean but i can easily see how that would be the case on many other setups. By the way, everything i described above also applies to the HD800 in my experience.

Many thanks for your thoughts and opinions. I really appreciate them.
I've been spending the last few days 'getting to know' the T1's. I've limited myself to using them exclusively, rather than switching back and forth between different sets, although for some genres I found myself wanting my HD800's.
I agree with you, that the T1 sounds inherently lean in nature, but I'm coming to warm to it's clarity and poise, especially in the mids. It certainly makes it easier for me to listen to rock and pop, and I prefer using the T1's to my HD800's for more 'up beat' music. Incredibly comfortable too.
I think it's just the Beyer 'house sound' that takes some getting used to, especially coming from using sets from other manufacturers. On initial listening the T1's sound quite flat and not particularly dynamic, but time with them shows their prowess. My opinion on the T1's is probably confounded because I spend time in the day on my commute listening to B&W P7's which sound VERY different to the Beyers.
Thanks again for your reply.

Oct 7, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #10,415 of 10,994
my T1 come back from Service after the replacement drivers. I decided headphones burn in better quality recordings (24/192 or 24/96) .On the Internet I found an album in high quality for $ 26.
In computers I have only lossy mp3.

http://www.hdtracks.com/audiophile-picks/audiophile-hi-res-system-test

Consult me some albums (HiRes) Which should I buy for burn in headphones?

Oct 7, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #10,416 of 10,994
Never been a burn-in routine believer.  I listen to my collection and let the break-in happen naturally.  The breakdown of the pads has as much to do with the change in sound as any flexing of the driver IMO.  I would just make sure you have a variety of musical styles and enjoy the process!

Oct 11, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #10,417 of 10,994
Hi Guys,

Does anyone own T1-Mojo combination here? I am absolutely loving it, Mojo sounded mind-blowing right out of the box. The sibilance is gone, the warm sound over a T1 Gen 1 is golden.

Finally found a reason to keep my T1 2xxxx Gen 1 :D

Need to hear from other members on the subject matter.

Thanks
LR

Oct 11, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #10,418 of 10,994
  Hi Guys,

Does anyone own T1-Mojo combination here? I am absolutely loving it, Mojo sounded mind-blowing right out of the box. The sibilance is gone, the warm sound over a T1 Gen 1 is golden.

Thanks
LR

Yup, though not getting the most head-time for me recently. T1 sound just as good as any source I have/had with Mojo.

Oct 12, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #10,419 of 10,994
Hi Guys,

Thanks
LR

Sure it's depending sooo much on the amp ! Beyer T1 Gen1 with the right amp is a wonderful headphones

Oct 12, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #10,420 of 10,994
dilemma

What kind of music with headphones burn?
I have used or you do not use pink noise and white noise?

Drivers in T1 have been replaced by new ones, may now have a recorded about 15 hours.
I used only three albums in high quality.

My Sennheiser HD25-II I was passing through the iPod classic. I chose random selection of songs and have them play. The sound was changing gradually. HD25-II did not have the details as before. Headphones and sometimes played 8 hours.

I have at home a strong OTL amplifier (Woo audio WA2), which should burn in properly and the quality of theheadphones.

So what technique I applied to the HD25 can be applied to the T1?

(I'm still undecided)

Oct 12, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #10,421 of 10,994
Never put much faith in burn-in except for my EL8, just using the headphones and listen to what you normally listen to is what most have suggested if you are concerned about burn-in.  I just leave them on playing music over night at my normal listening levels (which is on the lower side at 75-80db) and for all except the EL8 there was no change in the sound.  The EL8 would be a special case since the drivers did fail and had to be repaired and the replacement does not sound anything like the original, better low end and highs but the mids are a bit recessed compared to the original, similar to what those that had the original fazor LCD-2 noticed when they were repaired with the newer driver.

Oct 12, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #10,422 of 10,994
dilemma

What kind of music with headphones burn?
I have used or you do not use pink noise and white noise?

Drivers in T1 have been replaced by new ones, may now have a recorded about 15 hours.
I used only three albums in high quality.

My Sennheiser HD25-II I was passing through the iPod classic. I chose random selection of songs and have them play. The sound was changing gradually. HD25-II did not have the details as before. Headphones and sometimes played 8 hours.

I have at home a strong OTL amplifier (Woo audio WA2), which should burn in properly and the quality of theheadphones.

So what technique I applied to the HD25 can be applied to the T1?

(I'm still undecided)

Just use them, they won't change.
You might think they've changed but it's you the one who changes.
Our perception changes far, FAR more than the headphones.

Best you can do is finding quality recordings and use them, so you can get used to their sound signature. That's all there is.

Oct 14, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #10,423 of 10,994
According to you which kind of samples will be more effective for burning headphones?

Pink Noise or frequency sweep (all in 16bit / 192kHz)?
My iPod classic does not support recordings from 88.2kHz or higher.

I do not know what level of volume DBFS I set up the generator.
Default volume parameter is -6 dBFS, 0 dBFS is bad.

Level
0 dbfs = clipping sound (The incidence appears to damage drivers)
-1 dbfs ?
-2 dbfs ?
-3 dbfs ? = Optimal ?
-4 dbfs ?
-5 dbfs ?
-6 dbfs = default

Oct 14, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #10,424 of 10,994
@marek17 - suggest you read this, simply because it might help actually getting some empirical evidence:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/measurement-and-audibility-headphone-break

Its a series of tests performed by Tyll on the Q701 - a headphone many claimed vast differences before and after break-in.  The measurements suggest that if there are any changes, they are very minute.  he also suggests that if you wnat to try break-in or burn-in, it won't harm the headphones, but there is likely to be little if any difference.  Important things for you on page 4 (the conclusion)

Have I shown that break-in exists? No. I wish I could say the slowly descending IMD products is clear evidence ... but it's not. Who knows what that measurement represents. I do think, however, that if break-in is measurable, it would be this type of measurement that would show it. I'm pretty happy something showed up at all.

Have I shown that break-in doesn't exist and is not measurable? No. The slight changes around 9kHz on the CSD plots, and the significant change in IMD products over time do indicate that something is happening, and happening in a way that seems to me to be properly indicative of the things I've heard with break-in effects. I think the nay-sayers need to acknowledge something might be happening here.

The one thing I think I have proved, however, is that if break-in does exist, it is not a large effect. When people talk about night and day changes in headphones with break-in, they are exaggerating. This data clearly shows that the AKG Q701 --- a headphone widely believed to change markedly with break-in --- does not change much much over time.
My hiking boots break-in; my sneakers break-in, too. But my hiking boots aren't going to turn into sneakers over time. This idea that you simply must let headphones break-in before you know what they are going to sound like is a myth. And this data busts it.

and

Until then, you can unbox you new headphones and have a listen without angst. You'll be hearing pretty much how they will forever sound. If you notice they're a bit irritating in the mid-treble, you might find that settles out somewhat with use and the headphones may deliver a mildly more pleasant listening experience.

If you do want to break-in your cans, I suggest pink noise at a slightly louder than normal listening level. If you don't have a pink noise track, just play music. If they sound lousy out of the box, but they start sounding a lot better as you listen to them over time, it's your amazingly versatile brain figuring out how to cope with the world.
The miracle is in your head ... not in the headphones.

I highlighted the bit you're interested in - just play some music with them.  You don't need to - but if it makes you feel better then that's all you need.

Oct 14, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #10,425 of 10,994
According to you which kind of samples will be more effective for burning headphones?

Pink Noise or frequency sweep (all in 16bit / 192kHz)?
My iPod classic does not support recordings from 88.2kHz or higher.

I do not know what level of volume DBFS I set up the generator.
Default volume parameter is -6 dBFS, 0 dBFS is bad.

Level
0 dbfs = clipping sound (The incidence appears to damage drivers)
-1 dbfs ?
-2 dbfs ?
-3 dbfs ? = Optimal ?
-4 dbfs ?
-5 dbfs ?
-6 dbfs = default

Please stop asking the same question over and over. Just play music. how many times does that need to be said.

If you want to know what volume? Play the music a loud as your ears can stand it, then take the headphones off and just let them play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back