The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 28, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #7,726 of 10,994

I own both and would recommend the T1 every time. Even though the HE-500 is really good, the T1 offers better transparency, imaging and overall tonality (comparing both headphones with optimal amps - i.e. T1 w Bottlehead Mainline and HE-500 w Bottlehead S.E.X.)

+1  I also own both and hear the same results. I use my T1's with a Glenn amp and have no desire to change.

Jun 29, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #7,727 of 10,994
Hello everyone!

Just purchased a T1 last week and am enjoying it. I was hesitant to start splurging on DAC/Amps without doing more research, so ended up buying the Centrance DACport. It seems very good-- then again, I am relatively new to high end headphones so honestly, I don't have anything better to compare it with.

Problem with the DACport is I am essentially tied to my PC. I have a Cowon player but it is clearly struggling to power the T1-- and while the typical setup seems to be using multiple components (separate player/DAC and amp), I honestly would prefer an all-in-one device.

I've looked at a couple and it seems that iBasso DX100 would be a good option. That said, I couldn't find any store here that has that on hand so have to buy it online.

Before I do that, anyone has any experience with DX100 powering the T1 directly? How about the DX90 (which I'd rather get if it's sufficient given the price difference)? Or are there other portable PMPs that I should look at?

Really appreciate any guidance you can offer to someone new to this space.

Jun 29, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #7,728 of 10,994
Hello everyone!

Just purchased a T1 last week and am enjoying it. I was hesitant to start splurging on DAC/Amps without doing more research, so ended up buying the Centrance DACport. It seems very good-- then again, I am relatively new to high end headphones so honestly, I don't have anything better to compare it with.

Problem with the DACport is I am essentially tied to my PC. I have a Cowon player but it is clearly struggling to power the T1-- and while the typical setup seems to be using multiple components (separate player/DAC and amp), I honestly would prefer an all-in-one device.

I've looked at a couple and it seems that iBasso DX100 would be a good option. That said, I couldn't find any store here that has that on hand so have to buy it online.

Before I do that, anyone has any experience with DX100 powering the T1 directly? How about the DX90 (which I'd rather get if it's sufficient given the price difference)? Or are there other portable PMPs that I should look at?

Really appreciate any guidance you can offer to someone new to this space.

Congratulations on your new rig!

If portable is what you want, you might consider FiiO X5 to drive the T1's directly. I have it paired with the Vorzuge Duo

EDIT: just noticed this is your first post on HF. Welcome and sorry about your wallet!

Jun 29, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #7,729 of 10,994
If portable is what you want, you might consider FiiO X5 to drive the T1's directly. I have it paired with the Vorzuge Duo

Thanks for the reply.

Yes. looking for portability. I was originally looking at the Fiio X5, but here's the response I got from FiiO when I asked the question about T1:
"X5 has an optimal driveability of up to 300ohms. Although the X5 can still power the T1 with no problems, the potential of your headphones may not be reached. Hope this helps!"

Thus, had to look for alternatives such as the iBasso DX90, DX100 and HiFiMan 901...

I also wrote to iBasso and waiting for their response. Would be great to hear other's opinion though and if there are other players I should be considering...

Jun 29, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #7,730 of 10,994
Thanks for the reply.

Yes. looking for portability. I was originally looking at the Fiio X5, but here's the response I got from FiiO when I asked the question about T1:
"X5 has an optimal driveability of up to 300ohms. Although the X5 can still power the T1 with no problems, the potential of your headphones may not be reached. Hope this helps!"

Thus, had to look for alternatives such as the iBasso DX90, DX100 and HiFiMan 901...

I also wrote to iBasso and waiting for their response. Would be great to hear other's opinion though and if there are other players I should be considering...

I don't have the feeling the X5 is underpowered at all when listening to the T1s. The Vorzuge Duo has a lot of extra power but personally I don't think the T1s need that either but I like the subtle tonal differences the Vorzuge provides which makes it even more pleasant to listen to but that may be my preference. If you are able to audition the X5 I think you should before ruling it out.

Jun 29, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #7,732 of 10,994
I have the T1 with DX90 with gain on high. I listen between 235-250 volume. Sounds pretty good to my ears, but I was going to purchase either the mk3 b+ or duet regardless.

Wow, I'm kind of surprised that DX90s can drive T1 at all... How much of battery life do you get then? I thought only DX100 may have the potential to do that. 

Jun 29, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #7,734 of 10,994
Thats quite impressive... I heard quite a few complaints about the DX90's battery life hence held off buying them. Now that's some counterargument. 
And you put on T1s throughout a flight? Wow, that's something to witness...
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 1, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #7,735 of 10,994
Thanks for the inputs!

It seems that X5 and DX90 (and DX100) should be able to drive the T1...

There is one alternative setup I am thinking of-- though not exactly apples to apples. I read about the HiFi m8 and I am thinking if I pair it with a cheap (but current) android phone, the cost would be similar to that of the DX100. The android would simply act as the screen, processor, and storage anyway and all the sound processing to the m8. I know it's not as portable, but thinking if the sound quality is much better, might as well get the m8.. The only other earpiece I would likely try to use it would be the Shure SE530...

Any thoughts? Admittedly, a big challenge for me is easy access to try these before committing to it thus my reliance on other people's experience.

Thanks again!

@Jobbing-- thanks for the welcome and yes, I am quickly realizing that the headset is just the first of many major expenses! :frowning2:

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #7,737 of 10,994
Thanks for the inputs!

There is one alternative setup I am thinking of-- though not exactly apples to apples. I read about the HiFi m8 and I am thinking if I pair it with a cheap (but current) android phone, the cost would be similar to that of the DX100. The android would simply act as the screen, processor, and storage anyway and all the sound processing to the m8. I know it's not as portable, but thinking if the sound quality is much better, might as well get the m8.. The only other earpiece I would likely try to use it would be the Shure SE530...

Any thoughts? Admittedly, a big challenge for me is easy access to try these before committing to it thus my reliance on other people's experience.

Thanks again!

@Jobbing-- thanks for the welcome and yes, I am quickly realizing that the headset is just the first of many major expenses! :frowning2:

I have the M8 which is designed to be the swiss army knife for audiophiles. It is suppose to drive phones from iems to high-impedance full headphone loads.

I use it to drive T1 at home and used to bring it with an iPod classic on travel. However, it is a bulky portable setup and quicky wore me down. This is why I ended up with getting a DX50 and finally settling with DX90 + CIEM for my best portable setup.

Having said that, M8 is a very capable desktop source. I use it with my Macbook. Unless you are planning to get any 600 ohm headphone that is less sensitive than the T1, M8 should be good enough.

Here's a much detailed review.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/trusted-traveling-companion-centrance-hifi-m8-portable-headphone-ampdac

Although I never tried before, DX100 is also an excellent DAP with a powerful amp which can also drive T1. But it's not exactly smaller compared to an M8 stack as a portable.

If you don't mind the size and always carry a bag, IMO the M8 is the better choice over DX100.

Jul 1, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #7,738 of 10,994
  Thanks for the inputs!

Thanks again!

The Fiio X5 has an outstanding line-out so you could always use the X5 with a quality amp like the E12DIY (if you can get your hands on one - I don't know if there are any left for sale). I've found that combo to be excellent with everything from IEMs to full size cans (incl. T1s). The X5 provides the flexibility of driving your 'phones directly in a pinch as well and does a very good job although not quite as good as using an amp via LO.

Jul 3, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #7,740 of 10,994
  Which pads give the T1 less sibilance and a warmer sound?

So far people have recommended Denon pads and Custom One Pro pads. Any others?

The Beyerdynamic T1 replacements pads are identical to the DT-990 pads.  However, when you get the DT-990 replacement pad set, it includes a very thin foam circle that covers the drivers.  The T1's don't come with this foam circle/disc.

My ears are extremely sensitive to high frequencies (for example, the HE-400 caused me to have ear aches and ringing, as did the RCA cleartop tube in my Bottlehead Crack).  The T1 was just a touch uncomfortable for me in terms of the high frequencies- just a touch of excess.

So, I bought the DT-990  pad set, and simply used the small foam circle to cover the drivers.  This did the trick and I no longer have any issues with the high frequencies.  I see that a China-based seller is selling foam discs for a couple dollars so you may want to give it a shot.  I am a bit picky so I bought the genuine DT-990 pads.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Inside-Foam-Sponge-Pad-for-Beyerdynamic-DT440-DT660-DT770-DT860-DT880PRO-DT990-/201110251725?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item2ed31ae8cd

P.S. Another head-fi member suggested this solution and I would give that person the credit, but unfortunately I don't remember his name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back