The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 30, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #8,251 of 10,994
While I share the principal views laid out by @upstateguy regarding cables etc., there is one thing Mr. Gwinn of Benchmark seems to have left out: a generation of headphones that simply needs power. Balanced is a way to achieve that. But yes, SNR and damping are worse (though still in the realm of theoretical influence if done properly).

I did balance my T1 to fit my V281, but more because I wanted to test the V281. Plus its really simple on the T1, which already features a 4-lead cable... Sounds nice, but it does so single ended as well.

Benchmark (and e.g. Violectric) feature XLR in-/output because of their background in pro audio where balanced interconnects are expected / used frequently, often for longer cable runs. That does not necessarily imply the whole circuit layout is balanced though (the V200 has XLR in but is definitely not a balanced amp, neither is the Lake People G109P).

I talked to Fried about his balanced design and he mentioned better isolation between channels (the V281 even has separated power supplies). Still other people use crossfeed to get more natural imaging with recordings mastered for speakers (e.g. Meier Sound, SPL). I think in the end all that matters is whether one likes the sound produced... how that works should not be that important, besides basic compatibility reasoning (e.g. does the amp deliver enough power for my headphones, is the damping factor OK etc.) I really like the Beyerdynamic A2 with the T1... very basic, straight circuit design, nowhere as powerful as the V281. Still a good match. Despite its rather low output power.

A whole industry running mad with output power does not mean its right and/or necessary. Depends very much on the headphones and of course the listening level. Most dynamic headphones reach ear-damaging levels with really low input, that any decent amp has no problem to produce. Which of course does not mean that driving an amp near its limit is doing good things to either the equipment or the listening experience -- headroom is nice to have. But it does not scale further up, i.e. enough is simply enough. Sound quality can't be judged by comparing those output power numbers...

Nov 30, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #8,252 of 10,994
With all due respect to all the comments I am going to suggest that this thread return to the subject of the T1 and leave all sound science comments about balanced equipment to perhaps a new thread if someone wishes to open such a thread in sound science. The comment I made earlier referencing the Stax products being balanced and specifically the 009 was only by way of an easy example nothing to get upset about. The special edition of the T1 is simply an example of a manufacturer trying to breath new life into the product. Their sales of the new version seem to be going well so from their perspective it is probably worthwhile.If nothing else, it draws new attention to the product. If someone enjoys the special edition and sees it as a good value they should be entitled to their opinion without being attacked. We are all friends here.

Nov 30, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #8,253 of 10,994
  a generation of headphones that simply needs power.

Just wondering:  I've been out of the loop for a while so I'm not aware of a generation of headphones that simply need power.  I remember HiFiman, was hard to drive, but which standard headphones need all this power? 
confused_face(1).gif

Nov 30, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #8,254 of 10,994
   The special edition of the T1 is simply an example of a manufacturer trying to breath new life into the product.

I agree with you that the special edition of the T1 is simply an example of a manufacturer trying to breath new life into the product.

My point is that unless there is a measurable difference in the sound, the fancy new wire is only snake oil. 

Nov 30, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #8,255 of 10,994
  EDT990VB

Link:  http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/spare-parts.html

Thank you. I never replaced the T1 pads (they are quite in good shape) and I'll be ordering the new pads through other supplier as I'm based in Europe. Could you please refer to the "old" part number as for me not placing an incorrect order?

Nov 30, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #8,256 of 10,994
With all the pad change talk, I went and found a set of t90 pads. Slightly different (velour vs micro velour). They're stiffer, like the dt770 pads and might made it bassier. I'll let you guys know how it turns out when I get them and give them a listen.

Nov 30, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #8,257 of 10,994
  Thank you. I never replaced the T1 pads (they are quite in good shape) and I'll be ordering the new pads through other supplier as I'm based in Europe. Could you please refer to the "old" part number as for me not placing an incorrect order?

The part number has not changed. They kept the same number. That is why I was surprised to find any difference with the original pads.

Dec 1, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #8,258 of 10,994

Just wondering:  I've been out of the loop for a while so I'm not aware of a generation of headphones that simply need power.  I remember HiFiman, was hard to drive, but which standard headphones need all this power? 
confused_face(1).gif

I had Audeze in mind, which started a new trend, reviving the planar magnetic drivers. Hifiman is another example, Abyss still another. The T1 on the other hand is definitely not one of them, being quite sensitive with its strong magnet system, despite its rather high impedance.

The part number has not changed. They kept the same number. That is why I was surprised to find any difference with the original pads.

I was always wondering about that too... the official replacement pads are those the DT990 uses, but they are to my knowledge not identical to the T1 pads.

Regarding balanced T1: I don't think it does the T1 any harm and is rather easy to implement (and with a simple adapter they can still be used single ended). I would not pay a premium for whatever fancy cable is used, except for a small amount if I like the optics. Still I could not get any information about this special edition... maybe something local?

Dec 1, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #8,259 of 10,994
Quick impressions :

The T90s pads are bassier. I think they also smooth out some of the treble without turning the entire spectrum dark. Also, it sounds like the soundstage is wider but I think it's cause the pads are firmer/newer thus keeping the drivers farther away than the stock. Certain songs, it feels like it extends out forever. I like the soundstage but the bass can get a little too much at times. Also the comfort isn't as good. Too firm but might break in a little.

Dec 1, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #8,260 of 10,994

<snip>

I was always wondering about that too... the official replacement pads are those the DT990 uses, but they are to my knowledge not identical to the T1 pads.

Regarding balanced T1: I don't think it does the T1 any harm and is rather easy to implement (and with a simple adapter they can still be used single ended). I would not pay a premium for whatever fancy cable is used, except for a small amount if I like the optics. Still I could not get any information about this special edition... maybe something local?

I ordered some extra replacement pads (from Beyer), for both my T-1s and '04 880s and they turned out to be exactly the same.... They also were Not the same as the original T-1 pads.  The replacements were flatter and not as firm as those that came with the T-1 and if I remember correctly, at the time I ordered them, they were only available in black.

I  completely agree with you regarding optics.
beyersmile.png

I like good looking cables too, as long as the prices are reasonable.
o2smile.gif

Dec 1, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #8,261 of 10,994
So here is my update on the T1 malfuntion. The following is an email I sent to the company that will repair the headphone. 

I was planning on sending the Headphone back today and double checked to see if it was working. I plugged it in and there was no sound as suspected but when I unplugged the cable I heard a sound in the left channel. So I went ahead and plugged the headphone into the amp for the second time and I could hear music on both sides. The headphones seems to be working again but I am afraid that the fault will reoccur. I have decided to send it back anyway for tests. 

I am afraid that when you plug it in at your offices it will play and the fault will not be accounted for. 
I would like to know if possible what is actually wrong with the headphone?
Why does it work one time and not another? 
And, can you assure me that the drivers will work in the future if you decide not to change them? 

Dec 1, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #8,262 of 10,994
  So here is my update on the T1 malfuntion. The following is an email I sent to the company that will repair the headphone. 

I was planning on sending the Headphone back today and double checked to see if it was working. I plugged it in and there was no sound as suspected but when I unplugged the cable I heard a sound in the left channel. So I went ahead and plugged the headphone into the amp for the second time and I could hear music on both sides. The headphones seems to be working again but I am afraid that the fault will reoccur. I have decided to send it back anyway for tests. 

I am afraid that when you plug it in at your offices it will play and the fault will not be accounted for. 
I would like to know if possible what is actually wrong with the headphone?
Why does it work one time and not another? 
And, can you assure me that the drivers will work in the future if you decide not to change them? 

just sounds like an intermittent connection...

Dec 1, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #8,263 of 10,994

just sounds like an intermittent connection...

I wonder will that kind of behavior show up when they test the drivers? 

I'm hoping they don't just plug it in and say its working - then a week or so down the line I'm back to square one. 

Dec 1, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #8,264 of 10,994

I ordered some extra replacement pads (from Beyer), for both my T-1s and '04 880s and they turned out to be exactly the same.... They also were Not the same as the original T-1 pads.  The replacements were flatter and not as firm as those that came with the T-1 and if I remember correctly, at the time I ordered them, they were only available in black.

So there seems to be no way of getting replacement pads exactly as the ones that come with T1?

How did you order T1 and 880 pads? Different part number and they came out the same? And is it the same part number for 990 too?

It's perplexing because if you take a look at this listing, it's exactly like that! I've bought several times from this seller and they sell legit stuff. It's a pitty I don't have any 880 or 990 to assess the pads similarities.
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Beyerdynamic-Black-Velour-Earpads-DT-880-DT-990-PRO-T1-etc-Beyer-/121260775271?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones&hash=item1c3bb49767

And then you have this
http://www.ebay.de/itm/BEYERDYNAMIC-EDT-990-VB-velour-schwarz-Ersatz-Ohrpolster-fur-Kopfhorer-NEU-OVP-/271527472416?pt=DE_Musikinstr_Teile_Zubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item3f384c6d20

And this, that although suitable for a lot of Beyer models, the T1 are not mentioned
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Beyerdynamic-EDT-990-V-Ohrpolster-Ohrmuschelsatz-Velour-Silber-/230972994317?pt=Kopfh%C3%B6rer&hash=item35c710330d

If stock T1, 880 and 990 pads are different, I'm having a hard time reconciling with the idea that Beyer doesn't really care about what their customers will get when ordering new pads for these models... I mean, pads DO change how a pair of headphones sound in quite a significant way. Often times for the worse.

edit: EDT990VB will suit many models like 880, 990 and T1; EDT990V will suit many models like 880 and 990 but, not T1

Dec 1, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #8,265 of 10,994
I checked the part number with Beyer in Germany through email before ordering. I then ordered what they advised through an authorized dealer in the UK. When they arrived they were sealed in a labeled bag that was obviously from the factory. I really think I got what I ordered. The factory claims these are the only authorized pads for the T1. I'll take their word for it. The fact that they were slightly different from the original would seem to be a production change by the factory, I seriously doubt that they do not resell the exact same pads sold on the current T1 model. That would make no sense. I am just assuming like many companies they made a small change in production without making an announcement. Perhaps not the right thing to do but they would not be the first company to do that. My only complaint about the new pads is that the ear opening is a little smaller and I have large ears. Not as comfortable for me. I actually find the slightly warmer sound desirable. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back