The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 24, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #3,752 of 10,994
Quote:
Hmm.. I'm thinking if grabbing T1s with my La Figaro 339 tube amp.

My concern is I am into strong bass response with a good thump. Will T1s do the job in bass department? Should I expect more or less bass punch than my HD650s? Seems like T1 does everything else perfectly as I like it though :)

Maybe you should try the LCD-2.2 and the HE-400s as well.

Feb 24, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #3,754 of 10,994
Quote:
Thanks, someone else also advised that to me as well today so I will definitely look into them .. It sounds the best option is to avoid the T1 as great as it is, perhaps its not for me :)

O wait.. hold up.  

I love my T1's now.
biggrin.gif
  I don't require lots of bass.  I like my bass balanced across the spectrum.  The T1's are so good at detail retrieval.  IMO you lose a little of that here and there with the LCD-2.2s.  Just a little.  IMO..

Feb 24, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #3,755 of 10,994
Oh right that is quite tempting.. Although as much as I love the sound of such a detailed headphone (who wouldn't), when I hear the terms "bright" and "perhaps lacking bass" I get scared and run away. I have a feeling I have to try the ortho path of hifiman etc. I'm too into my bottom half of the sound spectrum :)

Feb 24, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #3,756 of 10,994
Quote:
Oh right that is quite tempting.. Although as much as I love the sound of such a detailed headphone (who wouldn't), when I hear the terms "bright" and "perhaps lacking bass" I get scared and run away. I have a feeling I have to try the ortho path of hifiman etc. I'm too into my bottom half of the sound spectrum
smily_headphones1.gif

While I love my T1, I would have to say the HE-500 is my favorite

Feb 24, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #3,758 of 10,994
I actually enjoy the bass on the T-1
I pretty much find them good in any genre and they don't lack that much bass to the honest.
Of course it's a matter of taste but personally I don't see them having any problem playing deep bassy music.

Feb 24, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #3,759 of 10,994
Quote:
Oh right that is quite tempting.. Although as much as I love the sound of such a detailed headphone (who wouldn't), when I hear the terms "bright" and "perhaps lacking bass" I get scared and run away. I have a feeling I have to try the ortho path of hifiman etc. I'm too into my bottom half of the sound spectrum
smily_headphones1.gif

I have never felt that my T1s were lacking in the low end...in fact, even though I'm too lazy to dig it up, I remember posting how that was the first thing that really stood out to me when I first received them - the bass was fantastic. 

Haven't heard the hifiman phones yet, but at least according to headphone.com there isn't much to gain in terms of the low end over the T1s: 

Feb 24, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #3,761 of 10,994
A couple of months ago, I decided to take some SPL measurements with JL Audio's SPL Meter (an iPhone app) and a lapel mic, sandwiched between the ear pads of first the LCD-2 and then the T1, as I played various Bink Audio Test files between 20 Hz and 100 Hz.

Using Bink Audio Test Files (44/16 WAV) > Foobar with WASAPI > USB > CEntrance DACport LX > Burson Soloist > LCD-2 rev.1 and the T1

Here are the results:

Observation:  When the T1 and LCD-2 are matched to 85.7 dB playing white noise, T1 SPL is less than half that of the LCD-2 between 55 Hz and 85 Hz (a loss of more than 3 dB).  Bass energy is slightly greater than the LCD-2 rev.1, below 44 Hz, but as much as 4.6 dB less than the LCD-2 above 44 Hz.

Observation:  When the T1 and LCD-2 are matched to 91.7 dB playing white noise, T1 SPL is less than half that of the LCD-2 between 50 Hz and 90 Hz (a loss of more than 3 dB) across a greater range of frequencies than when volumes are matched to 85.7 dB.  Bass energy is slightly greater than the LCD-2 rev.1, below 42 Hz, but as much as 5.3 dB less than the LCD-2 above 42 Hz.

A not-very-scientific conclusion:  The higher the overall volume, the greater the bass roll-off of the T1 relative to the LCD-2, above 44 Hz.  This irony is insidious, because as I turn up the volume to improve the T1's bass energy above 42 Hz, the efficacy of doing so diminishes relative to the LCD-2 at the same volume.  At either 85.7 dB or 91.7 dB, the LCD-2 rev.1, is literally more than twice as loud between 55 Hz and 85 Hz.

Another irony, though not quantifiable, is my hunch that the LCD-2's relative lack of speed and control in the bass region actually contributes to a greater sense of bass energy than can actually be measured.  I'm conjecturing that the less detailed bass of the LCD-2, relative to the very tight T1 bass, makes the LCD-2 sound as if it has even more bass energy than it does.

There's one last irony:  I find it almost humorous that the T1 offers higher SPL levels at the very bottom of the bass range - below 45 Hz.  I suspect that anyone making quick comparisons with 20 Hz or 25 Hz test files, as I had done on the first day I pulled the T1 out of the box, will would find the T1 offering slightly MORE bass energy than the LCD-2!   But look at the charts - the bass of the T1 exceeds the LCD-2 only where very little content resides - below 45 Hz!

I can hear the differences shown in these charts.  The human ear can easily tell a difference in volume of 3 to 5 dB, even if we're just talking about a small portion of the spectrum.

Hint:  I love using the T1 with music that doesn't have lot of bass content, but that's just my opinion, with my tastes, my gear, my ears.

Mike

Feb 24, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #3,762 of 10,994
The LCD-2s will likely be an addition for me later this year...I'm really looking forward to hearing what the fuss is all about, especially since I'm such a fan of Magnepan speakers and planar magnetic technology. I've had a hard time getting excited about the hifiman offerings, but the Audez'e stuff has piqued my interest since I first heard about it. 

Feb 25, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #3,763 of 10,994
Much of the time I'm confused on what the point of these graphs is.  For most classical strings like Viktoria Mullova LCD2 is my go to can but majority of the time I only use t1.  I honestly don't think you should buy a lcd2.  Nothing wrong with trying them out for free though.

While playing video games on the lcd2s, like witcher 2, the bass and presentation sometimes really freaks me out.

Feb 25, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #3,764 of 10,994
Quote:
Much of the time I'm confused on what the point of these graphs is.  For most classical strings like Viktoria Mullova LCD2 is my go to can but majority of the time I only use t1.  I honestly don't think you should buy a lcd2.  Nothing wrong with trying them out for free though.

While playing video games on the lcd2s, like witcher 2, the bass and presentation sometimes really freaks me out.

I'm always interested in the vast range of opinions on the LCD-2...I think that's a big reason why I HAVEN'T bought a pair to this point. My T1s are an untouchable in my system, as are my higher end Grados. I'm really curious to audition a planar, though, but at this point it really wouldn't surprise me if I didn't care for it. Seems like it would be a nice complement to my other headphones since I tend to prefer a slightly brighter presentation, whereas the LCDs are different. It would never be in place of the T1s, though...I love my T1s. In fact, I'm currently in research mode for amps that will specifically benefit the T1s since I know they scale up. 

Feb 25, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #3,765 of 10,994
Quote:

I'm always interested in the vast range of opinions on the LCD-2...I think that's a big reason why I HAVEN'T bought a pair to this point. My T1s are an untouchable in my system, as are my higher end Grados. I'm really curious to audition a planar, though, but at this point it really wouldn't surprise me if I didn't care for it. Seems like it would be a nice complement to my other headphones since I tend to prefer a slightly brighter presentation, whereas the LCDs are different. It would never be in place of the T1s, though...I love my T1s. In fact, I'm currently in research mode for amps that will specifically benefit the T1s since I know they scale up. 

I too am intrigued by the LCD2 - like you Focker I wonder if they will be a nice complement to the T1 which I love but (whispers) do on occasion still find to be a little bright 
size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back