The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 20, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #3,556 of 10,994
Quote:
so its a good match with T1 cause its warmish sounding?

I have to answer your question by emphasizing the context in which my observations were made:   I've been listening to the T1 on a DACmini CX that has the 1-Ohm output impedance modification.  That mod is known to make the DACmini CX much more neutral (some would even say colder) than a DACmini CX that has the factory-default 10-Ohm output impedance.  Many people who own the DACmini CX with 1-Ohm output impedance mod say it sounds great with the LCD-2, because the LCD-2 has shelved highs - a treble that's dark.  I've never heard my LCD-2 with a DACmini that has the default 10-Ohm output impedance, but there are plenty of people who say they like the warmer, darker sound of the default DACmini, even with LCD-2, but especially with LCD-3, which have a little bit more energy in the high frequencies, not to mention other traits that make the LCD-3 superior to the LCD-2.

So....  with the understanding that 100% of my prior experience with the T1 has been disappointing, due to using the T1 with a "bright" DACmini CX, my impression of the Soloist is that it is a good match with the T1, in part, because the Soloist is warmer AND darker than my DACmini CX with 1-Ohm output impedance mod.  

In truth, the Soloist might be no darker or warmer than the default DACmini CX, which has a 10-Ohm output impedance mod. I can assure you, in any case, that the difference in warmth and/or darkness is subtle - it's not dramatic.  

That trait which is most dramatic at distinguishing the Soloist from the DACmini CX is the huge improvement in dynamics - which has impacted my enjoyment of both the LCD-2 and the T1.  However, I'm absolutely convinced that my LCD-2 sounds better overall with the DACmini CX with 1-Ohm output impedance mod, than it sounds with the Soloist - despite the improved dynamics. 

Similarly, the T1 is absolutely stunning with the Soloist, where I found it difficult to enjoy the T1 with the DACmini CX (for my tastes, at least) - it was just too bright, even though the treble was wonderfully smooth..  Literally the only thing lacking, that I can hear, with the Soloist + T1, vs. the Soloist + LCD-2, is bass energy.  But thanks to all the power that the Soloist makes available to the T1, the bass is fine - much better than with the relatively underpowered DACmini CX.   The Soloist outputs 2.67x as much power as the DACmini CX, into any given load, so it only stands to reason that with this extra power comes improved dynamics.  

I can say that this additional punch or slam or PRAT or whatever you want to call it, affects the entire frequency range - right up into the treble, which, with the T1 stays every bit as sweet and non-fatiguing as with the less powerful amp, but even the highest octave piano keys have a bite that's just not there when the T1 is driven with less power.  Everything percussive has authority through the Soloist + T1.  Lastly, the Soloist is very resolving - it doesn't take anything away from the T1's ability to deliver detail.  If anything, the Soloist reveals the LCD-2's lack of resolution, more so than does the DACmini CX.

So, I'm very, very, impressed with the T1 now that I've found an amp that can push it so well.  This combination is so good, it's got me thinking I should just sell my DACmini and LCD-2, but I'm going to hold off until the honeymoon is over...

Mike

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #3,557 of 10,994
Quote:
Any reason to do that? The cable on the T1s is a pretty solid cable overall. Plus, if there's any issues, beyerdynamic so far as been very good about fixing the headphone cables. 

This was the conclusion I came to, as well. I really tried to pull the trigger on a recable, but I just kept running into small issues that were enough to give me pause. I wasn't really interested in busting my manufacturer's warranty after buying these awesome headphones less than a year ago. On top of that, the re-cable people I came across had no warranty on their work, which also gave me pause. Ultimately it just didn't seem like the potential gains (Im not really one to believe cables make a big difference to begin with, but am still open to the idea) weren't worth the expense and the risk...and let's face it, the T1s sound great. 

Not trying to talk anyone out of NOT doing it, just joining elwappo in some food for thought. 

Dec 21, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #3,558 of 10,994
Quote:
That trait which is most dramatic at distinguishing the Soloist from the DACmini CX is the huge improvement in dynamics - which has impacted my enjoyment of both the LCD-2 and the T1.  However, I'm absolutely convinced that my LCD-2 sounds better overall with the DACmini CX with 1-Ohm output impedance mod, than it sounds with the Soloist - despite the improved dynamics. 

Similarly, the T1 is absolutely stunning with the Soloist, where I found it difficult to enjoy the T1 with the DACmini CX (for my tastes, at least) - it was just too bright, even though the treble was wonderfully smooth..  Literally the only thing lacking, that I can hear, with the Soloist + T1, vs. the Soloist + LCD-2, is bass energy.  But thanks to all the power that the Soloist makes available to the T1, the bass is fine - much better than with the relatively underpowered DACmini CX.   The Soloist outputs 2.67x as much power as the DACmini CX, into any given load, so it only stands to reason that with this extra power comes improved dynamics.  

I can say that this additional punch or slam or PRAT or whatever you want to call it, affects the entire frequency range - right up into the treble, which, with the T1 stays every bit as sweet and non-fatiguing as with the less powerful amp, but even the highest octave piano keys have a bite that's just not there when the T1 is driven with less power.  Everything percussive has authority through the Soloist + T1.  Lastly, the Soloist is very resolving - it doesn't take anything away from the T1's ability to deliver detail.  If anything, the Soloist reveals the LCD-2's lack of resolution, more so than does the DACmini CX.

So, I'm very, very, impressed with the T1 now that I've found an amp that can push it so well.  This combination is so good, it's got me thinking I should just sell my DACmini and LCD-2, but I'm going to hold off until the honeymoon is over...

Mike

sounds like the perfect amp for the T1! 

Dec 21, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #3,559 of 10,994
Quote:
sounds like the perfect amp for the T1! 

In my limited experience, yes it is!  

Let me add, for the record, that I'm using Foobar 2000 with WASAPI > USB > CEntrance DACport LX > Burson Soloist > Beyerdynamic T1.

Note that I only have two DACs at the moment.  I can't hear any improvements over the DACport LX when using the DAC section of the DACmini CX, though some respected reviewers have said they can hear slightly more air or openness in the low level signals with the DACmini's DAC vs. the DACport LX - HeadphoneAddict (Larry), for example.

Mike, of Headfonia, has reviewed the DACport LX as being capable of competing with several $2000 desktop DACs he has heard, so his opinion and my ears leave me content to drive the Soloist with this $250 DAC, until further notice...  

biggrin.gif

Mike

Dec 21, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #3,560 of 10,994
Quote:

In my limited experience, yes it is!  

Let me add, for the record, that I'm using Foobar 2000 with WASAPI > USB > CEntrance DACport LX > Burson Soloist > Beyerdynamic T1.

Note that I only have two DACs at the moment.  I can't hear any improvements over the DACport LX when using the DAC section of the DACmini CX, though some respected reviewers have said they can hear slightly more air or openness in the low level signals with the DACmini's DAC vs. the DACport LX - HeadphoneAddict (Larry), for example.

Mike, of Headfonia, has reviewed the DACport LX as being capable of competing with several $2000 desktop DACs he has heard, so his opinion and my ears leave me content to drive the Soloist with this $250 DAC, until further notice...  

biggrin.gif

Mike

nice! maybe the soloist is the SS version of the WA2 
wink.gif

i still use my PS Audio DL III and though its an old dac, i'm still very happy with it and will probably not buy anything until i have the money to buy a Perfectwave DAC. 

Dec 21, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #3,561 of 10,994
Quote:
nice! maybe the soloist is the SS version of the WA2 
wink.gif

i still use my PS Audio DL III and though its an old dac, i'm still very happy with it and will probably not buy anything until i have the money to buy a Perfectwave DAC. 

It's hard to beat "I'm still very happy with it" - don't fix what ain't broken, as they say.

I feel compelled to qualify my impressions of the Soloist + T1 even further, in case it's not already obvious, by saying that I personally prefer a chain that delivers a more neutral overall signature than the sound preferred by those who like the organic, euphonic sound of tube or hybrid amps.  The Soloist + T1, might not be appealing to those who avoide a neutral and trannsparent chain - even though the Soloist has a bit of a warm, analog sound, compared to something truly neutral. 

Just remember that the Soloist is, after all, a solid state amp and you shouldn't be surprised after ordering one. 

smile.gif

Dec 21, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #3,562 of 10,994
Quote:

It's hard to beat "I'm still very happy with it" - don't fix what ain't broken, as they say.

I feel compelled to qualify my impressions of the Soloist + T1 even further, in case it's not already obvious, by saying that I personally prefer a chain that delivers a more neutral overall signature than the sound preferred by those who like the organic, euphonic sound of tube or hybrid amps.  The Soloist + T1, might not be appealing to those who avoide a neutral and trannsparent chain - even though the Soloist has a bit of a warm, analog sound, compared to something truly neutral. 

Just remember that the Soloist is, after all, a solid state amp and you shouldn't be surprised after ordering one. 

smile.gif

I can understand how you feel about the Soloist.  I feel the same about my B22 + PWD2 combo.  I had the BHA-1 and the Mjolnir in here.  Still I prefer the B22.  the T1 and the B22 is just so damn sexy together..

Dec 21, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #3,563 of 10,994
Shout out to the T1s. First headphone I've heard that does everything well.
Nothing stands out as bad, but nothing stands out as great in my opinion. A very balanced headphone and I dare say I prefer them over the HD 800. :)

Dec 21, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #3,565 of 10,994
Quote:
I would definitely pick these over the hd800. I think the hd800 are just too picky of a headphone and too bright.

I thought that way too...and then I heard the HD800s on the LF w/quad of Siemens E88CCs and my GS-X. Nonetheless, I still own the HD800s. But that said, getting them to their full potential ain't easy!

That said, I did really enjoy my 3 years or so with my T1s and preferred them to the HE-6s (by a very small margin).

Dec 21, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #3,566 of 10,994
i prefer the T1 as well. but ive been really starting to like my HD 800 more and more. 

with either the WA6-SE or WA2, they sound fantastic and while they are bright, they aren't fatiguing at all. they're a good headphone to complement the T1. both give you a different sound. 

i can only imagine though what hd 800s on a LF would sound like. or even a WA22 
tongue.gif

Dec 22, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #3,567 of 10,994
Quote:
Shout out to the T1s. First headphone I've heard that does everything well.
Nothing stands out as bad, but nothing stands out as great in my opinion. A very balanced headphone and I dare say I prefer them over the HD 800.
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree.

In short, the T1 isn't into self-expression. Instead, it humbly just gets out of the way!

Dec 22, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #3,568 of 10,994
As far as I'm concerned the tonal balance is precisely what makes the T1s stand out from the pack and "great".

Dec 24, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #3,569 of 10,994
Got my T1's today.  Can't wait for my Woo WA2 to arrive to compare it with the WA6SE, but thus far, through the SE, these phones rock. And as many have said, they seem to be a fantastic compliment to my HD800's....

Merry Christmas to me 
k701smile.gif

Dec 24, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #3,570 of 10,994
mine is 8470..

Got my mod T1 from Jaben

I am pairing with the Schit Mjolnir and Gungnir..
SO was wondering anyone has replace the stock cable ?
Which is a better choice, Silver or Copper.

rgds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back