The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 14, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #1,546 of 10,994
Thanks for the impressions. I never once personally heard any sibilance with the 2900s-but then I only really listened to them after significan burn in, and I was coming off of the piercing 900s to boot. My C-2.1 is a very smooth sounding amp which probably helped with that too. I am looking forward to the more neutral sounding T1 for sure, and I am very curious about it's raved about soundstaging, especially since I am a fan of the S-Logic+ in the Pro 900/2900.

-Daniel

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #1,547 of 10,994

Quote:
It's been a while since I've listened to a T1. Over a year, probably.

A friend of mine brought his over the other night, and I must say, I had forgotten just how enjoyable these headphones are. Nothing in particular stood out, but everything felt in-place and just... right.

I prefer the T1 to my "r.1" LCD-2 for sure.

Very well put....part of why I still love my T1s. Of all my headphones, they've been with me the longest.

Nov 14, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #1,548 of 10,994
For the last 2 months I listened exclusively to the LCD-2 (rev. 2). Last week I bought a B22 and decided to give my T1 a try with the B22 just for fun ( I bought the B22 for the LCD-2). I haven't listened to the LCD-2 since !! I can't describe it but there something special with the T1. 

Nov 14, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #1,549 of 10,994

Quote:
For the last 2 months I listened exclusively to the LCD-2 (rev. 2). Last week I bought a B22 and decided to give my T1 a try with the B22 just for fun ( I bought the B22 for the LCD-2). I haven't listened to the LCD-2 since !! I can't describe it but there something special with the T1. 

yep.  i agree... the lcd2 isnt bad but to me, the overall package and sound of the T1 is king (in its price range and down)

Nov 14, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #1,550 of 10,994

I'm pleased that you finally get to enjoy your B22 goodness and even more delighted that you sound like you're going to hold onto the T1s for a wee bit longer. :beyersmile:

Nov 15, 2011 at 9:44 AM Post #1,551 of 10,994

Quote:

I totally agree 
beyersmile.png

I built my beta 22 about a year ago and since then I really enjoyed it with the T1.
In my opinion it's one of the most natural and unfatiguing sounding combinations money (and skills if you build the beta22 on your own) can buy.
Compared to the HD800 for example, the T1 sounds much more balanced.
There's nothing sensational like deepest and strongest bass or most resolving highs with this combination, but it's just the fun and pleasure in the long run.
I always come back to the T1 and beta22 and feel, yes it sounds right.

Nov 15, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #1,552 of 10,994
I have a question about the sturdiness of these phone's drivers? Last night I plugged my cellphone into my amp, and listened to someone through my phones. It was very quiet, so I had the volume knob nearly at the 4 o'clock position. But when I unplugged the adapter from my phone, the noise of the jack disconnecting was really loud - it hurt my ears for the second it happened.

Should I be worried? It wasn't any louder than the music I listen to when it's at the 11-12 o'clock position.

Nov 15, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #1,553 of 10,994
I'm getting over the "omg" phase of how good the T1s sound and am starting to notice that the dynamics seem kind of compressed.  During intense parts of vocals in particular, it's pretty obvious that the vocalist sounds strained and restricted.  You can tell that there is intensity waiting to be unleashed, but it's being held back.

From all that I've read, I'm fairly sure that this is due to my Fiio E7/E9 (don't all attack me at the same time, please!
redface.gif
).  However, being a college student who probably shouldn't have even purchased a flagship in the first place, what are some budget-conscious choices to do the T1s a bit more justice?  

I would really like an amp/dac set-up under $500. So far, I'm considering:

-Nuforce Icon HDP
-Schitt Asgard
-Schitt Valhalla
-Matrix M-stage

Can the latter three be connected with the Fiio E7 to use its DAC or do I need to get a separate one like the HRT Music Streamer II?

Are there any other options within my budget that would be pair well with the T1s?  

*Btw, the restricted dynamics is due to my lackluster amp set-up right?  Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks!

Nov 15, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #1,555 of 10,994
At those prices you might look into a Little Dot MKIII or a Bellari HA540 to help drive the 600 ohms better.

Can anyone tell me if the T1 is good at lower volumes, assuming proper amplification that is. My DT 880 and 990s both never sounded their best until the were much louder than I wanted-where the dynamics would really come out anyway...hope that makes sense. OTOH, my AD2000s sounded incredible even at low volumes-in fact I always found myself turning them down frequently. I hear the LCD2s are similar in this regard.

-Daniel

Nov 15, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #1,556 of 10,994

Quote:
Originally Posted by BournePerfect /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Can anyone tell me if the T1 is good at lower volumes, assuming proper amplification that is. My DT 880 and 990s both never sounded their best until the were much louder than I wanted-where the dynamics would really come out anyway...hope that makes sense. OTOH, my AD2000s sounded incredible even at low volumes-in fact I always found myself turning them down frequently. I hear the LCD2s are similar in this regard.

I have not owned DT880s or DT990s for quite a while now, so please accept the general nature of this observation. The T1 is better at low volumes than the other two Beyers mentioned, but IMO the T1 is still a headphone that likes to be listened to on the louder side. The LCD-2 is good at lower levels, but the HE-6 is the best "quiet can" I have personally tried.

Nov 15, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #1,557 of 10,994

Quote:
At those prices you might look into a Little Dot MKIII or a Bellari HA540 to help drive the 600 ohms better.

-Daniel

Good call on the listening volume.  I've also noticed that the dynamics come out much better at a higher volume, but I'd rather not risk damaging my hearing from prolonged exposure to high volumes. (I keep the knob a bit under 9 o clock on the Fiio E9)

Regarding the amps though, do you think the LD MKIII would be better than the ones I listed?  I remember reading somewhere that the LD amps weren't too great with the T1s.

Can anyone else give some insight/experiences into amps and whether or not it'll help with the dynamics of the T1?  Thanks!

Nov 15, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #1,558 of 10,994
I should probably refrain from commenting/speculating on amping the T1's being as I don't own them yet. I do  know that many owners here greatly prefer an OTL for their Teslas, which is why I mentioned a couple in your price range. I was jut giving a couple of suggestions for you to read up on.
wink.gif

-Daniel

Nov 15, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #1,560 of 10,994

Quote:
Good call on the listening volume.  I've also noticed that the dynamics come out much better at a higher volume, but I'd rather not risk damaging my hearing from prolonged exposure to high volumes. (I keep the knob a bit under 9 o clock on the Fiio E9)

Regarding the amps though, do you think the LD MKIII would be better than the ones I listed?  I remember reading somewhere that the LD amps weren't too great with the T1s.

Can anyone else give some insight/experiences into amps and whether or not it'll help with the dynamics of the T1?  Thanks!

You're going to drop $1300 on a pair of headphones and then power them with a $250 Chinese amp? These new flagships are VERY revealing of what you have in your front end: AMP/DAC/SOURCE. All are very important to bringing out the most of these headphones....otherwise, you'd be leaving a lot of cards on the table.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back