The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Feb 2, 2024 at 10:24 PM Post #23,251 of 23,560
Yes, they work really well. My iem's are in good shape but I have bought some used ones that had some unwanted junk in them and the vac cleaned them out. :dizzy_face::fearful::ok_hand:
I’m imaging a horror story: the vac cleans the TIA driver right out of the nozzle

Feb 3, 2024 at 1:56 AM Post #23,253 of 23,560
Yes, they work really well. My iem's are in good shape but I have bought some used ones that had some unwanted junk in them and the vac cleaned them out. :dizzy_face::fearful::ok_hand:
I fully echo that, not that I have to use the IEM Vac that often to be true... when I buy a used IEM, I always give it a good clean / polish as a good practice.
On that note, I also bought an IEM drier but, as a matter of fact, I never used it. It may be useful in a humid / wet climate to care for IEMs but I have a feeling, that unless I used them while exercising (something that will never happen) and given I am not a touring musician, I might not ever use the dryer at all ....

Feb 3, 2024 at 2:48 AM Post #23,255 of 23,560
Anyone here use the 64 Audio IEM Vac to keep their universal IEM clean?
I use a vac to clean both my universals and customs every couple months or so.

it may be possible to damage the IEM with the needle depending on how deep you go in the nozzle and how careful/careless you are with it ...
That's why it's recommended to use the green, wider tip (recommended for IEMs with a 3-5mm bore) when cleaning IEMs with the single tia bore. It's wide enough to not go through the mesh filter and damage anything, but it's got enough suction to clean whatever's stuck on the mesh.

Feb 3, 2024 at 3:07 AM Post #23,256 of 23,560
I fully echo that, not that I have to use the IEM Vac that often to be true... when I buy a used IEM, I always give it a good clean / polish as a good practice.
On that note, I also bought an IEM drier but, as a matter of fact, I never used it. It may be useful in a humid / wet climate to care for IEMs but I have a feeling, that unless I used them while exercising (something that will never happen) and given I am not a touring musician, I might not ever use the dryer at all ....
Just a note that moisture can accumulate due to temperature changes - when they are used outside in the cold and after coming back inside.

Feb 3, 2024 at 3:27 AM Post #23,257 of 23,560
I use a vac to clean both my universals and customs every couple months or so.

That's why it's recommended to use the green, wider tip (recommended for IEMs with a 3-5mm bore) when cleaning IEMs with the single tia bore. It's wide enough to not go through the mesh filter and damage anything, but it's got enough suction to clean whatever's stuck on the mesh.
Very good point! Thank you!!

Feb 3, 2024 at 3:29 AM Post #23,258 of 23,560
Just a note that moisture can accumulate due to temperature changes - when they are used outside in the cold and after coming back inside.
Would you put the IEMs in the dryer with the cable or would you risk loosening the socket by disconnecting/reconnecting the cable every time the IEMs may go in the dryer?

Feb 3, 2024 at 3:45 AM Post #23,259 of 23,560
In the beginning of the video demonstration of the 64 Audio IEM Vac, the guy says: sanitize with alcohol.

Are these Sanitising Wipes safe enough to wipe my Volür, some times?
@64Audio ? If not, can you please suggest a suitable product (sanitising wipes), preferably from Amazon UK?

I have never used an IEM Vac. I would seriously consider buying the 64 Audio IEM Vac but after reading here that there is a possibility to destroy the TIA driver, I will not.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 3:46 AM Post #23,260 of 23,560
I always put them with the cable. Once or twice I wanted to dry 3-4 pairs immediately so there was no extra space but cables should be fine with the drying process.

Feb 3, 2024 at 3:48 AM Post #23,261 of 23,560
Would you put the IEMs in the dryer with the cable or would you risk loosening the socket by disconnecting/reconnecting the cable every time the IEMs may go in the dryer?
Putting the Iems in a sealed jar with silicagel dries them out well and with no risk. This is what I do and also is recommended by 64 Audio as a viable option.

Feb 3, 2024 at 5:14 AM Post #23,262 of 23,560
Putting the Iems in a sealed jar with silicagel dries them out well and with no risk. This is what I do and also is recommended by 64 Audio as a viable option.
Thank you … Occam’s razor recommends searching for explanations constructed with the smallest possible set of elements. Spot on … Silica gel is way less complex than an IEM dryer…

Feb 3, 2024 at 8:43 AM Post #23,263 of 23,560
In the beginning of the video demonstration of the 64 Audio IEM Vac, the guy says: sanitize with alcohol.

Are these Sanitising Wipes safe enough to wipe my Volür, some times?
@64Audio ? If not, can you please suggest a suitable product (sanitising wipes), preferably from Amazon UK?

I have never used an IEM Vac. I would seriously consider buying the 64 Audio IEM Vac but after reading here that there is a possibility to destroy the TIA driver, I will not.
I’ve spoken to a lot of brand reps, and they all recommend simple (isopropyl) alcohol wipes. That should clean any IEM perfectly. An aluminium IEM like the Volur shouldn’t even need solvents to clean. Just a wipe with a microfibre cloth should do.

An IEM Vac is actually the best tool you can get to clean the mesh filter. If you used any old wax pick, there’s a bigger chance of you pushing the debris through the filter. I don’t think you can damage the tia driver unless you’re deliberately aiming for and poking at it with the thinnest vac attachment, which isn’t recommended for use with tia IEMs anyway.

Thank you … Occam’s razor recommends searching for explanations constructed with the smallest possible set of elements. Spot on … Silica gel is way less complex than an IEM dryer…
I live in a humid, tropical country, and I haven’t felt the need to use a drier for any of my IEMs. None of them have built up moisture or anything. Maybe, it’s different if you lived in an area with vastly-shifting weather. But, I’d put it below the vac in terms of priority IMO.

Feb 3, 2024 at 10:01 AM Post #23,264 of 23,560
I’ve spoken to a lot of brand reps, and they all recommend simple (isopropyl) alcohol wipes. That should clean any IEM perfectly. An aluminium IEM like the Volur shouldn’t even need solvents to clean. Just a wipe with a microfibre cloth should do.

An IEM Vac is actually the best tool you can get to clean the mesh filter. If you used any old wax pick, there’s a bigger chance of you pushing the debris through the filter. I don’t think you can damage the tia driver unless you’re deliberately aiming for and poking at it with the thinnest vac attachment, which isn’t recommended for use with tia IEMs anyway.
Thank you for your reply :)

My Volür is brand new, received on Jan 13, 2024, it does not need cleaning or anything else, I am the only person using them and taking extra good care of them, I asked about the alcohol wipes just out of curiosity.

When it comes to the 64 Audio IEM Vac, though, I am seriously considering it and I have emailed 64 Audio Support today, asking a few questions to clarify, as I've never owned / used such a product.

The reason I am considering it is because I am using my Volür for many hours, each day. In the morning at work [from home), I am wearing it for around 7 and a half hours, doing my job and listening to Focus Music. I am always using it with my iFi GO Pod. After around 7 hours, I need to put my GO Pod back into the case for less than one hour to fully charge and then I am listening to them again for another 5 hours, at least. Per day.

With so much use, I would like to have a way to clean them.

Can you, or anyone else, tell me if the 64 Audio IEM Vac is compatible with / suitable for the rest of my IEMs, shown in my signature?
@64Audio can you, as well, reply to this, please?

Thank you

Feb 3, 2024 at 10:16 AM Post #23,265 of 23,560

I get boxes of cleaning wipes marketed for hearing aids ☺️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back