The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jan 25, 2024 at 9:47 AM Post #23,221 of 23,608
All 4 iems have pretty good technicals and I personally believe it is unlikely to have a miss, but yeah if I have to quantify their technicalities:
U18s: Resolution 4.5, Soundstage 4, Immersive bass 3.5, Stereo imaging 4.5
U18t: Resolution 5, Soundstage 5, Immersive bass 3, Stereo imaging 4
U12t: Resolution 4, Soundstage 4, Immersive bass 4, Stereo imaging 4.5
Volur: Resolution 4.5, Soundstage 5, Immersive bass 5, Stereo imaging 4
(Note: U18t may sound more impressive technically being brighter, so there may be a bias.)

I find it difficult to , but I find U18t's sound to swing among sources, possibly due to the absence of LID. That said when it is paired with outstanding sources with low noise floor (e.g., L&P P6Pro, Cayin N30LE) it goes on another level, being calm yet revealing.

Unsure about U18s, but U12t is my choice. It sounds decent even on a 10-year computer.
I agree with your takes! I own or owned all besides U18S, that one was a bit too smooth for my preferences, but it should be one of the best pro monitors out there with its tuning profile.

For me:

Nio: Resolution 3.5, Soundstage 4, Immersive bass 4.5, Stereo imaging 4
U18s: Resolution 4.5, Soundstage 4, Immersive bass 4, Stereo imaging 4.5
U18t: Resolution 4.5, Soundstage 5, Immersive bass 3.5, Stereo imaging 4.5
U12t: Resolution 4, Soundstage 4, Immersive bass 4, Stereo imaging 4.5
U4S: Resolution 4, Soundstage 4, Immersive bass 4.5, Stereo imaging 4
Volur: Resolution 4.5, Soundstage 4.5, Immersive bass 5, Stereo imaging 4.5

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jan 26, 2024 at 1:09 AM Post #23,222 of 23,608
For those of you with 64audio CIEM's that had to do a re-fit, did you have to get new impressions?

Reason I ask is I have a set of A12t's bought last year and they didn't fit right from the start. I should have utilized the 30 day trial fit program at that time, but I was hoping I would "wear them in" (first time ciems)

If I do have to get new impressions I may not bother with it and just take the initial loss considering refit charge/shipping/impressions again. I figure putting that money towards some other universal might be better than another potential subpar fit

Jan 26, 2024 at 5:33 AM Post #23,223 of 23,608
It "depends" :) Fit adjustments can be needed despite perfect impressions. Or there might be a need to start over with new impressions. Consult with 64A or the retailer and they will ask questions to properly understand in what way the CIEM fit is not optimal. 64A are the experts. This assumes you have followed the 'how to wear' guidance printed on the packaging or on the website. The initial cost to you is time. I would not assume a financial cost before speaking with 64A (and this goes for any CIEM manufacturer)

Jan 26, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #23,224 of 23,608
For those of you with 64audio CIEM's that had to do a re-fit, did you have to get new impressions?

Reason I ask is I have a set of A12t's bought last year and they didn't fit right from the start. I should have utilized the 30 day trial fit program at that time, but I was hoping I would "wear them in" (first time ciems)

If I do have to get new impressions I may not bother with it and just take the initial loss considering refit charge/shipping/impressions again. I figure putting that money towards some other universal might be better than another potential subpar fit
I would recommend that you contact support@64audio.com. Most of our crew is out at NAMM right now, so you might not get a response immediately, but they should get back to you when they are back in the office. Typically re-fits don't require new impressions, just adjustments to the finished shells. Our team is excellent and should have no problem fixing your issue.

64 Audio Stay updated on 64 Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/64audio https://twitter.com/64audio https://instagram.com/64audio https://www.64audio.com/ info@64audio.com
Jan 26, 2024 at 6:53 PM Post #23,225 of 23,608
The initial cost to you is time. I would not assume a financial cost before speaking with 64A (and this goes for any CIEM manufacturer)
I had contacted 64a a few months ago on this and they sent me a link to the refit service order. So that's why I was curious of if, once they get ciems, perhaps they make some manual adjustments, but if it still doesn't fit, they would tell me that I need impressions, and I would potentially get in a loop of fitment issues. So I guess that's why I was asking.

Jan 27, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #23,227 of 23,608
Speaking of Volür...

PSX_20240127_172257.jpg

Back to the future. Custom N8, inspired by Volür.

Jan 27, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #23,228 of 23,608
After spending some time with the Volur, I've rotated back to the U4s, and find myself really enjoying it. I don't know if the bass has burned in some, or if it just seems fuller coming from the Volur, but it sounds damn perfect to me!!
I rotate between the Volur and U4s every few days. There's something special in the U4s' sound!

Jan 28, 2024 at 3:23 AM Post #23,229 of 23,608
I rotate between the Volur and U4s every few days. There's something special in the U4s' sound!
Me too, I rotate between them as well. Actually, I see you have a Chord Mojo 2, is this what you use with the U4s?

I was about to sell mine (the U4s) as it just didn’t sound exciting at all with my A&K SR35 DAP… I just got the Mojo 2… turns out the DAP was the issue. 😀 now the IEMs sound amazing.

Jan 28, 2024 at 4:05 AM Post #23,231 of 23,608
Me too, I rotate between them as well. Actually, I see you have a Chord Mojo 2, is this what you use with the U4s?

I was about to sell mine (the U4s) as it just didn’t sound exciting at all with my A&K SR35 DAP… I just got the Mojo 2… turns out the DAP was the issue. 😀 now the IEMs sound amazing.
Aha! So the Astell & Kern DAPs do not synergise well with 64 Audio IEMs?... Good to know!

I got the FiiO M11 Plus ESS yesterday. I am not into DAPs, I am on Bluetooth, but I got it to feel the DAP experience and see if it will suit me. So far, it is OK but I have used it for less than a day, in total. If it will make me happy, I might go for their M27 this fall. Of course, when FiiO says "Autumn" they mean January 2025 but anyways. I'm much more interested in their BTR17 (successor to BTR7).

I also got the Pentaconn COREIR tips a few days ago. Not impressed! For me, the stock tips sound better + with the COREIR tips the case of my iFi GO Pod does not close firmly and I cannot push it because of the brass ring. Not impressed at all with these tips, it is like they are stealing a bit of the bass and also accentuate the high midrange and treble. Maybe they will play well with my other IEMs.

Is there anyone here with a FiiO M11 Plus ESS and an Amazon Music Unlimited subscription?

Jan 28, 2024 at 4:22 AM Post #23,232 of 23,608
Aha! So the Astell & Kern DAPs do not synergise well with 64 Audio IEMs?... Good to know!

I also got the Pentaconn COREIR tips a few days ago. Not impressed! For me, the stock tips sound better + with the COREIR tips the case of my iFi GO Pod does not close firmly and I cannot push it because of the brass ring. Not impressed at all with these tips, it is like they are stealing a bit of the bass and also accentuate the high midrange and treble. Maybe they will play well with my other IEMs.
I totally agree with your experience of the COREIR Eartips, I really didn’t like the sound at all so I reverted back to the stock tips too.

For the Astell&Kern DAPs / 64 Audio IEM synergy, definitely the SR35 does not mix well with the U4s for me…. However, my A&K SE300 and the Volur is absolutely stunning.

Jan 28, 2024 at 7:18 PM Post #23,233 of 23,608

Yep! The Mojo 2 pairs very well with both U4s and Volur (no EQ needed).
I've been playing with the crossfeed, and found it sound really nice at the low setting (red).

I also use the U4s with the Apple Lightning to 3.5mm dongle when I'm working. Nothing exciting to talk about with this pairing, but it's just so convenient and it's "good enough" for background music.

Jan 29, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #23,234 of 23,608
I had contacted 64a a few months ago on this and they sent me a link to the refit service order. So that's why I was curious of if, once they get ciems, perhaps they make some manual adjustments, but if it still doesn't fit, they would tell me that I need impressions, and I would potentially get in a loop of fitment issues. So I guess that's why I was asking.
yes, we would make some manual adjustments first. Hopefully this will solve the fit issues without needing any more work. If they aren't able to solve it with manual adjustments they will recommend a remold with new impressions

64 Audio Stay updated on 64 Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/64audio https://twitter.com/64audio https://instagram.com/64audio https://www.64audio.com/ info@64audio.com
Jan 30, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #23,235 of 23,608
After spending some time with the Volur, I've rotated back to the U4s, and find myself really enjoying it. I don't know if the bass has burned in some, or if it just seems fuller coming from the Volur, but it sounds damn perfect to me!!
How would you compare Volur to the Trio?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back