The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Oct 12, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #22,771 of 23,560
I’ve been following your reviews for a long time and I would say you’ve unfairly rated iems with a smooth treble response. That is to say you’ve perceived them as less technical. If that’s how you hear it who am I to argue but I’ve often thought you were being hard and harsh. You’ve until recently often compared every other iem against the u12t - which does not have a smooth treble response. This you must understand is simply preference and I think there are plenty of very technical iems that have a smooth treble response. I could name a couple of your 64 Audio iem reviews… You may have moved on now but previously I think you’ve come across fairly biased. There’s nothing wrong with having a preference but when it comes to being objective can’t say that holds true.
This is why I suggest reading reviews from reviewers that share one’s music and sound preferences. They are more likely to match one’s preferences.

Oct 12, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #22,772 of 23,560
I actually accidentally left the Volur unit with the Headphones.com team at CanJam, so I probably won't be going in-depth on my thoughts. Just some impressions :)
Do you have some impressions? :L3000:

Oct 13, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #22,773 of 23,560
With the Volurs firmly entrenched as my go to IEM, I will be selling my U4s, all original packaging, etc...

Oct 13, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #22,775 of 23,560
I hated the whole concept of Eletech's 'Luxury Tips' but they got some good feedback so I ordered them feeling a little dirty. What's next, artisanal silicone IEM ear tips? Oy vay.

But these do sound quite great with the Volur. They just basically let the nozzle just pour out the sound right into your ear canal. I was using the Symbio W and the Azla Standards for a bit more warmth vs more detail, these sit nicely in the middle.

Oct 14, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #22,776 of 23,560
I’ve been following your reviews for a long time and I would say you’ve unfairly rated iems with a smooth treble response. That is to say you’ve perceived them as less technical. If that’s how you hear it who am I to argue but I’ve often thought you were being hard and harsh. You’ve until recently often compared every other iem against the u12t - which does not have a smooth treble response. This you must understand is simply preference and I think there are plenty of very technical iems that have a smooth treble response. I could name a couple of your 64 Audio iem reviews… You may have moved on now but previously I think you’ve come across fairly biased. There’s nothing wrong with having a preference but when it comes to being objective can’t say that holds true.
I hate to say it, but I agree with the sentiment that gear with smoothed treble seems to be less technical. Before you get upset, I don't see this as a bad thing, though. I think there is a balancing act that audio equipment follows and everything has give and take. The Nio is a smoother iem. While it has good imaging, the soundstage on the Trio and Fourte are more of their strength. I don't care, though. I have the Nio because of it's beautiful and relatively lifelike vocals, the way it gives life to kick drums, and because of the way acoustic instruments sound on it. I also have it because I can listen to music that the Trio and Fourte don't sound so great with, like old or bad recordings. Have you tried to listen to Johnny Cash on the Fourte 🥵? I hope you can see through this that it's ok for smooth treble IEMs to not be perfect at other things :).

That's also why the Nio is irreplaceable. It's such a unique iem! I haven't been paying attention to the market, but when it came out it was the ONLY hybrid with beautiful, lush vocals with no sibilance and DD bass. Some people wanted the Nio to have more air and such but I and a some other folks were waiting years for something just like it 😊.

Not trying to detract from the Volur or U4S, they both look great and I'm jealous at how beautiful the Volur looks, but #Niogang 😅.

Sorry I think my ADHD dragged me off course a bit.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2023 at 1:26 AM Post #22,778 of 23,560
Got my Volur for a little over a week. When they are paired right (with an dac/amp), they sound quite a bit better than my Nio Galaxy. More details. Less punchy bass but more controlled. All in all a solid upgrade. However, the Volur DO REQUIRE A DAC to sound good. I feel that the Volur is a bit more difficult to drive than the Nio Galaxy. I can plug the Nio Galaxy into my laptop 3.5mm and they still sound very very good, maintaining 90% of the sound quality (bass and mid-range vocal details) vs when plugged in to my L&P W2ACG. But when I plug the Volur into the same laptop, with all the same settings, the loss of bass and mid-range details are very significant. Sorry to say, but the Volur sounded like crap with my laptop....... The Nio came out on top on SQ consistency across sources in my case.

So for me, if I am plugging into unknown sources (like laptops or no-frills dongles), I will grab my Nio Galaxy for a safe bet. But if I am using a quality dongle or dac, Volur is all round upgrade vs Nio Galaxy.

I could very well be that Volur is a bit harder to be driven well vs the Nio Galaxy......

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #22,779 of 23,560
20231017_175947.jpg

Got my Volur for a little over a week. When they are paired right (with an dac/amp), they sound quite a bit better than my Nio Galaxy. More details. Less punchy bass but more controlled. All in all a solid upgrade. However, the Volur DO REQUIRE A DAC to sound good. I feel that the Volur is a bit more difficult to drive than the Nio Galaxy..

on my third night with the volür..
couldn't wean my ears from them.. LOL

and i totally agree to this even though i don't have a Nio to compare them with.

volür + hugo2 = pure musical bliss for my ears.

this had been the best synergy that i have ever heard through all the gear that I've had the chance to listen to...
(nothing follows) :L3000::L3000::L3000:

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #22,780 of 23,560
20231017_175947.jpg

on my third night with the volür..
couldn't wean my ears from them.. LOL

and i totally agree to this even though i don't have a Nio to compare them with.

volür + hugo2 = pure musical bliss for my ears.

this had been the best synergy that i have ever heard through all the gear that I've had the chance to listen to...
(nothing follows) :L3000::L3000::L3000:

curious as to what other IEM's you have listened to?

Oct 17, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #22,782 of 23,560
very limited, to be honest..
from the latest to the oldest..
Duo, legend evo, U18T, andromeda (the stainless one), SE846 Bronze, katana, encore brass, K10 (massdrop).. mostly ancients.. haha
That is a solid list brother!

Oct 17, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #22,783 of 23,560
I’ve had the Volur for just over 1 week now so no longer need my U12t. I’m selling it in the classifieds if anybody is interested. 👍🏼

It’s only 6 months old so is still in warranty.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #22,785 of 23,560
I’ve had the Volur for just over 1 week now so no longer need my U12t. I’m selling it in the classifieds if anybody is interested. 👍🏼

It’s only 6 months old so is still in warranty.
Curious how you would compare the two? I have the u12t and really like it, but the Volur certainly is tempting...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back