The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Oct 17, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #22,786 of 23,600
Curious how you would compare the two? I have the u12t and really like it, but the Volur certainly is tempting...
For a "rough" analogy, if U12t is Caldera, then Volur is like Atrium in term of character. Punchier, deeper, longer bass decay, sweeter tone, a bit darker, but come with bigger soundstage. Volur is not below U12t in term of resolution though. Actually Volur has better imaging too.

Oct 17, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #22,787 of 23,600
very limited, to be honest..
from the latest to the oldest..
Duo, legend evo, U18T, andromeda (the stainless one), SE846 Bronze, katana, encore brass, K10 (massdrop).. mostly ancients.. haha
If you still have Evo how would you compare it to Volur? Evo is my favourite iem, being as I am a Basshead. :relaxed::sunglasses:

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #22,788 of 23,600
For a "rough" analogy, if U12t is Caldera, then Volur is like Atrium in term of character. Punchier, deeper, longer bass decay, sweeter tone, a bit darker, but come with bigger soundstage. Volur is not below U12t in term of resolution though. Actually Volur has better imaging too.

I've been thinking about both those cans and have the LCD-X. Have you heard them and if so can you throw them into the comparison somehow? Just curious about that is all, even if it's not totally IEM based.

Oct 18, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #22,789 of 23,600
I got my first 64 Audio IEM, the U4s, a couple of months ago, and I wanted to give some impressions.

I first heard of 64 Audio here on Head-Fi, and the more I read about their technologies and history the more I was intrigued. The Apex technology made a lot of sense to me and the ability to change the bass response sounded great. The Tia technology sounds innovative. The designs of their IEMs are beautiful, and even before I tried it, they just look more comfortable than other multi-driver IEMs that are usually large. After reading a few impressions of various 64 Audio IEMs here, online reviews, and YouTube videos, it seems like their “house sound” would suit me very well.

Since the U4s are the least expensive, and had high praises, it seems like a great entry point.

My one-sentence summary of the U4s: One of the most fun IEMs I’ve ever heard, with a good balance of technicality.

The build quality is top-notch. The faceplate is gorgeous and want to stare at it every time I’m about to put them in my ears. The matte blue finish of the shell looks and feels great.

The U4s sound absolutely amazing! I listen to pop, country, jazz, and classical. The bass is big, bold, deep, and gives all music a good amount of body and weight. The mid and vocals come through clear and precise. The treble is vibrant but without fatigue or unnatural sibilance. The soundstage is realistic and large; not artificially large. Listening to music as a whole is more fun through the U4s. There are more feet tapping, head bobbing, and more of that great feeling after a listening session.

A huge plus for me is that the U4s is very comfortable for long listening periods. The weight and fit is excellent. I also don’t feel as much pressure in my ears, maybe thanks to the Apex module.

The Apex modules are fun to play with. I mostly use the M12 module, which gives great bass, nice mids, and a wide soundstage. I occasionally switch to the M15 module, which has deeper bass, but slightly muddies the mid/vocals. The M12 sounds more balanced to me, but the M15 is more fun.

Of the three types of stock ear tips, the wide-bore silicone tips are the best for me in terms of comfort, easy to get a seal, and sound. The SpinFit tips tame the treble a bit (less vibrant) and increase the mid-bass. The foam tips rolloff the treble too much for me, but they’re very comfortable. I also tried some third-party tips, including Azla SednaLight Short, Symbio W Peel, JVC Spiral Dot++, and Acoustune AET07. But none match the wide-bore silicone tips in sound and comfort.

If you’re considering 64 Audio, I highly recommend them, and the U4s is a great way to get a taste of what they can bring to your music and your life (if music is a big part of your life).

Oct 19, 2023 at 6:54 AM Post #22,791 of 23,600
Anyone able to compare Volur to FIR Audio Radon 6? Is the rn 6 a class above the Volur? Price difference isn’t huge, a few hundred more.
Based off memory, the Rn6 is a bit more vibrant (i.e. forward, or lively, or brass-y), while the Volur is earthy-er and more relaxed along the upper-mids. I wouldn’t say the Rn6 is a class above. They’re just different.

Oct 19, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #22,792 of 23,600
I've been thinking about both those cans and have the LCD-X. Have you heard them and if so can you throw them into the comparison somehow? Just curious about that is all, even if it's not totally IEM based.

Which version of LCD-X? I had one back at 2013. it's been a while since the last time I heard them though (almost a year ago). What I remember clearly they may sound different between models (year of release).

Anyone able to compare Volur to FIR Audio Radon 6? Is the rn 6 a class above the Volur? Price difference isn’t huge, a few hundred more.
My daily portable driver is RN6, and I can enjoy Volur well. I like the M15 module the most. Actually M12 is quite ok too, but I think M15 has better "harmony" between Midrange and Bass.

In general, Volur is a bit darker, more rounded notes, more forgiving, with sweeter tone than Radon 6.

Fir deliver airier, more attack and bigger soundstage, with a bit more micro detail/texture, but the downside is when I use at noisy environment (in a flight or a very busy Cafe), the outside noise may degrade the sound quality (due to open design). Volur definitely isolate better and leak less.

Based off memory, the Rn6 is a bit more vibrant (i.e. forward, or lively, or brass-y), while the Volur is earthy-er and more relaxed along the upper-mids.
Agree, your memory served you well mate

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #22,793 of 23,600
Which version of LCD-X? I had one back at 2013. it's been a while since the last time I heard them though (almost a year ago). What I remember clearly they may sound different between models (year of release).

My daily portable driver is RN6, and I can enjoy Volur well. I like the M15 module the most. Actually M12 is quite ok too, but I think M15 has better "harmony" between Midrange and Bass.

In general, Volur is a bit darker, more rounded notes, more forgiving, with sweeter tone than Radon 6.

Fir deliver airier, more attack and bigger soundstage, with a bit more micro detail/texture, but the downside is when I use at noisy environment (in a flight or a very busy Cafe), the outside noise may degrade the sound quality (due to open design). Volur definitely isolate better and leak less.

Agree, your memory served you well mate
Thanks for the comparison. Between the Volur and RN6 which brings you more enjoyment in terms of the bass? Is it an unfair comparison because the RN6 has kinetic bass which the Volur cannot match or does Volur make up for it somehow?

Oct 19, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #22,794 of 23,600
yeah I have the 2021 revision, just got them last year. so a different sound. thanks though.

Oct 19, 2023 at 11:46 PM Post #22,795 of 23,600
Thanks for the comparison. Between the Volur and RN6 which brings you more enjoyment in terms of the bass? Is it an unfair comparison because the RN6 has kinetic bass which the Volur cannot match or does Volur make up for it somehow?
I’ve heard from those who’ve extensively-heard/owned both that the Volur’s bass quality matches, if not exceeds, the Rn6’s.

Oct 20, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #22,796 of 23,600
I’ve heard from those who’ve extensively-heard/owned both that the Volur’s bass quality matches, if not exceeds, the Rn6’s.
I gotta say I love reading other people's experiences with other totl type IEMs that I looked at during my searches. I just don't have the money to have been trying these buds until splurging for my first set.

I'm the kind of person that no matter how amazing something is I can get buyers remorse pretty quickly.

Listening to the volur has been absolutely amazing and I feel like all the things I wanted in a sound signature are there.

But of course there's always that what if. There are a decent amount of buds in that price range that compete. So that's a lot of what ifs.

So hearing testimonials like this comparison is ideal for me and makes me feel better about my choice. Not just in regard to the bass, but the less in your face upper mids and brassiness because I absolutely love where the volur is with that frequency range.

Oct 20, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #22,798 of 23,600
Been using the m15 module since I got the Volur. But switched to the M12 gold Apex modules today. These do sing. If I do want more bass for a playlist, the XBass on the Go Blu is perfect, so is a bit of EQ with the Qudelix 5K or the BTR7

Oct 20, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #22,799 of 23,600
I gotta say I love reading other people's experiences with other totl type IEMs that I looked at during my searches. I just don't have the money to have been trying these buds until splurging for my first set.

I'm the kind of person that no matter how amazing something is I can get buyers remorse pretty quickly.

Listening to the volur has been absolutely amazing and I feel like all the things I wanted in a sound signature are there.

But of course there's always that what if. There are a decent amount of buds in that price range that compete. So that's a lot of what ifs.

So hearing testimonials like this comparison is ideal for me and makes me feel better about my choice. Not just in regard to the bass, but the less in your face upper mids and brassiness because I absolutely love where the volur is with that frequency range.
Yeah, ever since I stopped living in SG, then retired from reviewing, I’ve kinda had to do the same. It helps that I’m nowhere near as curious about new IEMs now as I was then. But, I’m fortunate to still have a decent local dealer here in Jakarta, or get opportunities to demo stuff overseas. I’m just about to fly back from Hong Kong as I write this, where I got to demo tons of cool stuff.

I think I was more referring to the physical sensation that the kinetic bass technology imparts.
Ahh, gotcha. Yeah, the folks I talked to are physicality-heads as well, so they must’ve taken that into account. I’ll let them speak for themselves when they’re ready to. One of them owns both IEMs, and he’s writing a full-length review as we speak. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back